Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Was told that Aldi steak was good.

Thought I would try it, thinking it would be ok but not great.

How wrong was I!

It was brilliant.

Not keen on their veg though. It is ok if you use it straightaway but does not keep well in my experience.
  • quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I bought some Brussels sprouts from Aldi from the Super 6 and half of them were mouldy when I took off the bit that was attached to the 'tree'. Black inside.

Another produce item added to the won't buy from Aldi again list.
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    Your store seems to have more than it's fair share of bad fruit & veg. Have you considered speaking to management to find out why?

I bought some myself the other day and they were crisp, firm and absolutely delicious!
    robin58 wrote: »
    Found these to be a bit on the small size and 'buggy'. But then again they are a bit early in the season. Will keep a eye on future packs.

Agree with F M, bought some Sunday and they were all but PERFECT, albeit that picking after a frost makes them better still.

Regards size - plenty of choice at ours.
    I selected a 500g bag that had the very smallest inside - there was about 80 of them
    Other bags had larger ones - perhaps about 40 to the bag and some had even bigger still with only 25 or even 20 sprouts in them.
    99% of the bags appeared to contain entirely "pristine" produce and mine certainly didn't contain mouldy ones or any bugs.
    Only waste were a few discarded outer leaves and 1mm trimmed from the bases.

Looking forward to when the entire stalks start hitting the shops.
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    Your store seems to have more than it's fair share of bad fruit & veg. Have you considered speaking to management to find out why?

I bought some myself the other day and they were crisp, firm and absolutely delicious!

The problematic FnV has come from 3 or 4 different Aldi stores within 6 miles from here. I forget which stores I bought each of the bad FnV from. So, its easier not to buy it in the future.

I go to a different store, depending on where I have been earlier in the day.
  • System
    Options
    Quoia,

Someone told me the stalks are good for making veg stock.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    Was told that Aldi steak was good.

Thought I would try it, thinking it would be ok but not great.

How wrong was I!

It was brilliant.

Not keen on their veg though. It is ok if you use it straightaway but does not keep well in my experience.

Two ways of looking at that, depending on where you are in country you will get different suppliers so varying quality.

And even if you get lots from 1 supplier it will be nicer somewhere closer to depot.
  • quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Quoia,

Someone told me the stalks are good for making veg stock.

I use just about all the bits of all vegetables that you would normally throw away for this purpose.

All the outer leaves from things like cabbages, cauliflowers and even brussel sprouts.
    Stalks (those chunks I have decided not to roast) and "clean" trimmings from them.
    Even peelings from potatoes, carrots, parsnips etc.
    Just wash or scrub as necessary before peeling.
    "Bad bits" in the bin - everything else in the stock pot.

Regarding the brussel stalks - I particularly like them because you can easily keep them for up to a month or more just taking a few "fresh" sprouts every now and then, and if you pick the "correct" stalk it's usually the cheapest way to buy them.

I keep mine on the sill in the corner of the kitchen window, where it's quite cool, upright with the bottom end in a small vase filled with water.
    Change the water daily and when you remove any sprouts (always from the bottom) cut the stalk by about the same amount that is now "sproutless" giving a new end in which to allow water take up.
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    Two ways of looking at that, depending on where you are in country you will get different suppliers so varying quality.

And even if you get lots from 1 supplier it will be nicer somewhere closer to depot.

Exactly the same for fruit and veg as they like to use local suppliers. I live in the Fens which supply fruit & veg to the whole country and beyond.

I don't which suppliers they use for meat/poultry but I've never had a complaint and the steaks are better than my local butcher.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Has anyone tried Aldi's vodka (the one with the red label) for £9.99?

Also, do they sell tomato juice? Anyone know how much this costs?

I'm thinking of making blood themed cocktails for a halloween party and don't want to be turning up with Tesco Value products...!
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Aldi's vodka (the one with the red label) for £9.99?

Also, do they sell tomato juice? Anyone know how much this costs?

I'm thinking of making blood themed cocktails for a halloween party and don't want to be turning up with Tesco Value products...!

Not sure they sell tomato juice, but the vodka's fine - much like any other vodka.
  • System
    Options
    quoia wrote: »
    I use just about all the bits of all vegetables that you would normally throw away for this purpose.

All the outer leaves from things like cabbages, cauliflowers and even brussel sprouts.
    Stalks (those chunks I have decided not to roast) and "clean" trimmings from them.
    Even peelings from potatoes, carrots, parsnips etc.
    Just wash or scrub as necessary before peeling.
    "Bad bits" in the bin - everything else in the stock pot.

Regarding the brussel stalks - I particularly like them because you can easily keep them for up to a month or more just taking a few "fresh" sprouts every now and then, and if you pick the "correct" stalk it's usually the cheapest way to buy them.

I keep mine on the sill in the corner of the kitchen window, where it's quite cool, upright with the bottom end in a small vase filled with water.
    Change the water daily and when you remove any sprouts (always from the bottom) cut the stalk by about the same amount that is now "sproutless" giving a new end in which to allow water take up.

I actually eat cauliflower leaves and cook it like cabbage. Can't tell the difference and its MSE as getting '2 for 1'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure