IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Ticket from CPM

I recently received a parking ticket from CPM (UK Car Park Management) having parked in a coach bay (1hour max) at the local college, there is currently construction work being done and a real lack of parking spaces plus the bay is only used by coaches at the start and end of days. The first I heard about it was when I get a letter through the post, so I guess they had contacted the DVLA to get my details. I quickly replied with an appeal which was unsuccessful and am now just deciding what to do next, should I ignore or pay up the £60 (before it becomes £100)? Having read a few of these forums it seems that the fines are unenforceable so I'm inclined to ignore it, however they have photo evidence of my vehicle in the coach bay so not sure where I stand legally. Any advice would be greatly received.

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 9 October 2016 at 9:22PM
    Read the NEWBIES FAQS thread, post #3 about IAS stage (not bothering with it) and post #4 about ignoring debt collector letters.

Only take seriously a real claim form or a solicitors' letter. If this had been a BPA firm we'd have said appeal to POPLA but you don't have that option. It does sound like you've read old threads though if you think these are 'unenforceable'.

Read current threads, not old ones.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 October 2016 at 9:24PM
    should I ignore or pay up the £60 (before it becomes £100)? Having read a few of these forums it seems that the fines are unenforceable

Do neither - and stop reading out of date threads and calling these invoices "fines"!

Ignoring has not been general advice for most PPCs since 2012.

Start by reading the Newbies Sticky at the top of this forum carefully - This will bring you right up to date and lay-out your remaining options to see them off. :)

And if that username is your real name, maybe think about getting it changed ASAP - PPCs do trawl this forum for evidence to use against people and identifying yourself is a bad idea.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,223 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I hope you appealed as keeper, and didn't reveal who was driving.

I also hope you have not used your real name here.

Please read the Sticky thread for NEWBIES. You have appealed so now you have the choice of ignoring for the next six years unless you get real court papers, or make an IAS appeal to their kangaroo court and then ignore for the next six years unless you get real court papers.

Why would you even think about paying a scammer?
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Thanks guys for all the pointers, I've decided to send an email to the land owner and see what kind of response I get, I'll keep you all updated.
  • Ok had a response from the the landowner, claiming they can't revoke the charge as it was no issued by them. So from other threads I know that this is not the case but any one got any advise on how I should respond to get them to intervene.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Do nothing except write to Mrs May and your MP to complain, whilst ignoring the parking firm. Same as hundreds if not thousands of others on here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5531488

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=71440298#post71440298

THERE IS NO NEXT STEP EXCEPT TO JOIN OUR CAMPAIGN:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5524754&page=6

Please do that and only that - letters to your MP and Theresa May. Be heard, tell them how twitchy and threatened you feel by this parking firm when there was no debt, no clear signs, no agreed contract and the charge is extortionate - never mind what the rich Supreme Court Judges thought in the 'Beavis' case, this is clearly, to any right-thinking person (and to the Consumers' Association) extortion akin to a protection racket in car parks.

This parasitical industry is routinely emptying consumers' pockets for three figure sums (for no service, no agreed sum) and this is untenable. In your case there was construction work being done and a real lack of parking spaces but no consideration is given to that because these firms are almost all money-grabbing ex-clampers (UKCPM were notorious before it became criminal).

Please write, stick your neck out and say how this threat of 'credit clamping'; a stranglehold over your finances for six years unless you pay the nasties, is far worse than car clamping ever used to be.

We are NOT telling you or anyone else to PAY.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Siyborg_66 wrote: »
    Ok had a response from the the landowner, claiming they can't revoke the charge as it was no issued by them. So from other threads I know that this is not the case but any one got any advise on how I should respond to get them to intervene.

but did they hire the parking company ? , if so , as their employers they can DEMAND that they cancel it

do not be fobbed off
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Thanks guys. I have wrote back to the landowner stating your point exactly that as the employers they have control over the company they employ. So will wait to hear back from him and update you all.
  • Ok so it seems the landowner is ignoring my emails so I suspect that will lead to a dead end. So I just need to decide what to do next, CPM have said they will engage with IAS If I choose to appeal, is there any point? or should I just ignore all their letters and hope they don't take it to court. Just not sure I'd win if it went to court as the coach bay was labeled as 'coaches only'. Any advice is welcome.
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    "Ok so it seems the landowner is ignoring my emails so I suspect that will lead to a dead end."

one last letter asking for a 'named person' who will be called to give evidence if this should proceed to court .

have you sent the IPC appeal template found in the newbies thread ?

if not do so ,

if you have then you are in the ignore .... but keep all paperwork ... and wait to see if the send a letter before action ... or actual court papers ...

" Just not sure I'd win if it went to court as the coach bay was labeled as 'coaches only'."

as a note you cannot form a contract for 'forbidden' actions ...

good luck

Ralph:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family