Virgin disconnection

Please would anyone know about being disconnected from Virgin?

Our disconnection date is today 6th October and I was told by Virgin CS that I would lose all services from midnight on the the 6th October.

TV had gone off during the night but I still have the broadband and at the moment phone! Thought the TV would finish tonight. :mad::mad:

Comments

• Marcio45
    Marcio45 Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Many years ago, it was still NTL, i cancelled the TV and phone service, and kept only the broadband. The phone was switched off, but the TV was active for a couple of years later. I eventually got a letter saying that there had been a problem and they noticed i was getting TV for free, and that it was going off soon. That was a nice treat, considering how expensive Virgin Media is nowadays. But i wouldnt count on it. Good luck.
  • katies_mum
    katies_mum Posts: 2,343 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    We started with Telewest, so Virgin have had our ££ for a long time.

Another quick question if anyone can please help. I have a very long white cable going into the Tivo box, can I just take these out? as they are are no use to me (can`t see me going back to Virgin anytime soon) thanks
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Marcio45 wrote: »
    Many years ago, it was still NTL, i cancelled the TV and phone service, and kept only the broadband. The phone was switched off, but the TV was active for a couple of years later. I eventually got a letter saying that there had been a problem and they noticed i was getting TV for free, and that it was going off soon. That was a nice treat, considering how expensive Virgin Media is nowadays. But i wouldnt count on it. Good luck.
    Similar happened to us, but my son had ADSL internet and tv (we had a BT phone line). He cancelled when he left home and we got a few weeks of free tv, before they noticed.
  • katies_mum
    Openreach turned up on time, installed everything, new phone connection where I wanted it and also removed the Telewest Box and wires for me. Just need Virgin to port my number over which they haven`t done yet! 10/10 to Openreach.

Hope the Sky tv gets installed as easily. I will also be checking my final bill from Virgin to make sure the dates tie in with when I was disconnected.
  • Marcio45
    Marcio45 Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi katiesmum.

i have done the same recently after virgin's price rises. Called virgin to cancel (goes off on the 3rd nov), and signed up with BT. I will be getting 52mbs fibre, but have to wait nearly four weeks for the instalation, now only two weeks left.

we all hear horror stories about BT and i am really worried they will mess up. That is why i am keeping virgin for two weeks after BT start date, just in case.

price wise, with cashback offers and the pre-paid card, BT fibre will cost just over £18 a month (average). Virgin was costing me £21.50 with loyalty discount, but about to go up to £24.50. But not really happy with Virgin, even if it was cheaper, it slows down at peak times, and it is really bad for gaming.

So i am glad all went well with your BT new service. Broadband wise how does it compare with Virgin?
  • bubblegun
    bubblegun Posts: 210 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2016 at 12:21AM
    katies_mum wrote: »
    Please would anyone know about being disconnected from Virgin?

Our disconnection date is today 6th October and I was told by Virgin CS that I would lose all services from midnight on the the 6th October.

TV had gone off during the night but I still have the broadband and at the moment phone! Thought the TV would finish tonight. :mad::mad:

If you are "porting" your number to another provider then those services will cancel when that goes through.

It should happen at the time of the Openreach visit. i.e. at the start of the visit calls came through on the Virgin line at end of visit they were coming through on the Openreach line.
    Openreach turned up on time, installed everything, new phone connection where I wanted it and also removed the Telewest Box and wires for me. Just need Virgin to port my number over which they haven`t done yet! 10/10 to Openreach.

Hope the Sky tv gets installed as easily. I will also be checking my final bill from Virgin to make sure the dates tie in with when I was disconnected.

It's the new provider who ports the number, it is outside Virgin's (or any other losing providers) control normally.
  • JB162
    JB162 Posts: 47 Forumite
    bubblegun wrote: »
    If you are "porting" your number to another provider then those services will cancel when that goes through.

It should happen at the time of the Openreach visit. i.e. at the start of the visit calls came through on the Virgin line at end of visit they were coming through on the Openreach line.

It's the new provider who ports the number, it is outside Virgin's (or any other losing providers) control normally.

All correct I'm afraid!

You can only port from a active to a active line. And it's Bt's responsibility as that is who your going to.
  • katies_mum
    Marcio45, I am loving Sky! I don`t find any difference in their fibre broadband compared to Virgin. Sky TV is far superior to Virgin, its is clearer, sharper and the Sky Q2TB box runs rings round Virgin. I am a very happy bunny and so glad I did the switch (saved a fortune as well)
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Marcio45, I am loving Sky! I don`t find any difference in their fibre broadband compared to Virgin. Sky TV is far superior to Virgin, its is clearer, sharper and the Sky Q2TB box runs rings round Virgin. I am a very happy bunny and so glad I did the switch (saved a fortune as well)

If you can't see the difference between Virgin's 200Mb's service (with BT running much slower....

The TV is digital on both platforms - clearer, sharper? You get HD free of extra charge on VM, Sky charge extra.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure