PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

diabetic baking advice

i regularly bake cakes etc but i now need to adjust them to be diabetic friendly, if i use something like splenda to replace the sugar is it like for like quantities ? and can i just substitute it in a recipe i normally use ?

Comments

• pinkpig08
    pinkpig08 Posts: 2,829 Forumite
    Hi, no it's not like for like as the sweetener is a lot lighter than sugar. It should tell you on the pack how many tsp = grams of sugar.

The better sweeteners are the ones that don't contain aspartame too.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #817 £50 banked :)
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,423
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    truvia or a stevia based sweetener woud be better.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • I prefer to use a mushed fruit as the sugar as it is natural, it adds flavour too. so using mushed bananas in chocolate cake for example.

Remember that if you use a sweetener the texture of your cake will be different they tend not to rise as well.
  • Pthree
    Pthree Posts: 470 Forumite
    Ameyturtle wrote: »
    I prefer to use a mushed fruit as the sugar as it is natural, it adds flavour too. so using mushed bananas in chocolate cake for example.

Remember that if you use a sweetener the texture of your cake will be different they tend not to rise as well.

While this is much better for the rest of us, is it ok to do this for diabetics? Do natural sugars not count?
  • mumtosix
    mumtosix Posts: 136 Forumite
    My husband is type 1, so its easier he just adjusts his insulin! There are loads of diabetic friendly cook books, I pop to the library & get ideas/inspiration from them. Sometimes shop diabetic stuff, especially chocolate can cause diahorea (sp). I always think natural sugar is better than artificial sugar! Happy baking!
  • I have been told by the diabetic nurse that I can have anything including chocolate in very small quantities but I must check my sugar afterwards.
    Do not forget that flour is carbohydrate and you must watch that as well because it will increase sugar levels.
    There are lots of recipes and advice here :

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Recipes/
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Sorry to put a dampener on things, but I find that sugar in any form (natural or pure) sends my blood sugar soaring, as does anything with flour (or most carby things, including potatoes etc). I also seem to respond badly to artificial sweeteners.

The key is to find out what your body reacts to, and avoid if possible. It also depends on how the diabetes is treated - e.g. if you're on insulin, you can just adjust your dose, whereas diet-controlled or some medication won't be able to control as tightly.
  • My nurse told me that your body recognises sweetener as sugar
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • My nurse told me that your body recognises sweetener as sugar

That would explain it! I think the only answer is to lose the sweet tooth (easier said than done...)
  • fuzzgun19
    fuzzgun19 Posts: 7,767
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If I baked a cake but replaced the sugar with Truvia, would it come out ok?
    Has anyone tried?

I wanted to try this one and replace sugar.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/orange_and_rapeseed_oil_70459
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family