New Sky Deal on MSE - Not available

Comments

• Molly4
    Molly4 Posts: 1,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I have now spoken to Sky by telephone and found out the reason I as a resident of Plymouth, Devon cannot sign up for this offer. I have always had slow Broadband speed which has never caused myself any problems at all over the many years I have had Broadband.

Sky have brought in a ruling at the beginning of this year that they will not, under any circumstances sell Broadband to anyone with a speed less than 2(I can't remember the name given for the speed reading). Despite myself knowing I have slow speed and being perfectly happy with this other people ultimately blame the Broadband provider and complain. I even offered to sign a disclaimer but they will not bend the rules.

As my current contract with another provider who is not SKY is up on 8th April 2017 then I will be busy this weekend looking for another provider who offers a "good deal".

Has anyone any recommendations?

Does mean that my Sky sign up code will be wasted now.
  • Shiggaddi
    Shiggaddi Posts: 938 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    molly57. wrote: »
    I have now spoken to Sky by telephone and found out the reason I as a resident of Plymouth, Devon cannot sign up for this offer. I have always had slow Broadband speed which has never caused myself any problems at all over the many years I have had Broadband.

Sky have brought in a ruling at the beginning of this year that they will not, under any circumstances sell Broadband to anyone with a speed less than 2(I can't remember the name given for the speed reading). Despite myself knowing I have slow speed and being perfectly happy with this other people ultimately blame the Broadband provider and complain. I even offered to sign a disclaimer but they will not bend the rules.

As my current contract with another provider who is not SKY is up on 8th April 2017 then I will be busy this weekend looking for another provider who offers a "good deal".

Has anyone any recommendations?

Does mean that my Sky sign up code will be wasted now.

Which area of Plymouth are you in? I'm in Tamerton Foliot which has very slow speeds, and I was told that it's one of the areas of Plymouth that is about as far as you can get from an exchange as the exchange line has to travel so far to get to my street which is at the top of the hill. If slow broadband is something that is commonplace over the rest of Plymouth, then it's a bit more of a serious issue.
  • Got rejected as well, South West Wales, will search again, have a little time.
  • Sjc1973
    Sjc1973 Posts: 84 Forumite
    BSM911 wrote: »
    Has anyone successfully been able to order this?

Every time I try I get an error and get told to call Sky. However Sky tell me as this is an online only offer through MSE there is nothing they can do...

They also said that other people have called citing the same problem and the rep I was talking to said that this deal might not have gone live yet even thought it looks like it.

I'm hoping it isn't just me having this problem!

Hi BSM911

I managed to get this deal but not having it until the end of the month which was my choice. I know they only had a certain amount of voucher codes and being a acceptionally good deal, they probably were used quickly. I am sure other good deals will come up on mse soon as I have missed out on good deals before but something good does seem to come along afterwards. Although, I am often prepared to go without broadband and use my mobile data until they do, I know that might not be an option for other people.

I INTIALLY was going to go with origin which was a nightmare experience which I shared in previous posts and if I am honest I am sceptical as to the quality of service I will get with Sky in terms of speed etc as this deal does seem to good to be true but I'll just have to wait and see!

Saw another post on here saying they got an offer for FB for £10 per month, not sure if I would have preferred that. Anyway hope something good comes your way soon:)
  • Molly4
    Shiggaddi

I'm in Southway. I looked up the telephone exchanges and there is supposed to be one at Crownhill although I don't know where in Crownhill it is or if it is still in operation. I was told by Sky that the nearest exchange was over 3 miles away and this is why the speed is slow. I've had Broadband with other companies including Sky 6/7 years ago and never had a problem before. I don't have a problem with the slow speed as I don't download too much and am not a gamer. Although I am miffed at not being able to take up this deal purely based on the slow speed problem.

Perhaps MSE should have advertised this deal is only for persons with a higher speed Broadband.
  • Shiggaddi
    Shiggaddi

I'm in Southway. I looked up the telephone exchanges and there is supposed to be one at Crownhill although I don't know where in Crownhill it is or if it is still in operation. I was told by Sky that the nearest exchange was over 3 miles away and this is why the speed is slow. I've had Broadband with other companies including Sky 6/7 years ago and never had a problem before. I don't have a problem with the slow speed as I don't download too much and am not a gamer. Although I am miffed at not being able to take up this deal purely based on the slow speed problem.

Perhaps MSE should have advertised this deal is only for persons with a higher speed Broadband.

If you're up near the Toby Carvery, then that might be right, however I'd be interested in how good the broadband is in Woolwell if that is served from the same exchange. If you're down near the bottom at the junction with Tamerton Foliot Road, then I would expect much faster. The exchange is next to the Seat dealership at the junction with Budshead Road and Looseleigh Lane. With Tamerton I can understand the long trip up the hill, but with Southway, even near the Park and Ride, I'd expect a bit faster.
  • Molly4
    Shiggaddi

I'm near the bottom end of Dunnet Road so Tamerton Foliot end. I've just done my own speed check and it is coming up as 3.8mb download speed and 1.7mb upload speed. I think this varies depending on the time of day.
  • Molly4
    I have now spoken to my current Broadband provider. As my current contract is due to expire on 8th April they are happy for me to continue on a month to month basis after that at the same cost as I am paying now. So there is no hurry for me to sign up elsewhere. I'll wait until another suitable deal comes along and hopefully they will be better providers than Sky.

Sky have even had the cheek to send me an email reminding me my code will expire soon.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    hopefully they will be better providers than Sky.
    You're in an over-subscribed area, no matter you twist it, that's not Sky's fault. They've made a sensible decision to not supply a degraded service that would also impact everyone already subscribed as well as you, they should be applauded.
  • Shiggaddi
    I have now spoken to my current Broadband provider. As my current contract is due to expire on 8th April they are happy for me to continue on a month to month basis after that at the same cost as I am paying now. So there is no hurry for me to sign up elsewhere. I'll wait until another suitable deal comes along and hopefully they will be better providers than Sky.

Sky have even had the cheek to send me an email reminding me my code will expire soon.

Yep, got the same e-mail.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport