Thursday 6th December - What small DFW things will you do today?

determined_new_ms
determined_new_ms Posts: 7,825
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
edited 6 December 2012 at 8:03AM in Debt-free wannabe
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important.
:money:

Morning guys :wave: Happy Thursday :T love this point in the week when you know its a hop, skip and a jump into the weekend :beer: so yesterday I was offered the job, which I am very happy about but I think I'm going to turn it down as it seems like its not the right step for me. Am going to use the experience to help me for my interview Monday....

Things for the day:
* check banking
* shift some funds
* all meals from stores - something out of the freezer
* check onepoll
* go into town at lunch and look for a suit or suit jacket
* complete job application and submit
* bid on material ending today
* spending tonight with bff watching a film :T will make some popcorn

think that's everything. Hope you all have a great day!

NTBY really hope that things pick up for you lovely, remember perni's words and be kind. I do understand what you mean re the obsession over money and I have had to take a step backwards recently to just chill a bit as I became a money nazi. I became aware that I have friends who have a lot less money than me but who act much more freely with it (I also know they aren't in debt) which got me thinking that maybe I assume a sense of poverty. So recently I've been trying to ease that up a little and it has taken some pressure off IYSWIM? x
DF as at 30/12/16
Womblng 2020:
NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2

Comments

• mummybearx
    mummybearx Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    Gooooood morning!!

Usual list today, check banking, do competitions, do swagbucks, don't buy any food or anything else :)

Really really busy at work, so will squeeze in what I can.

Hopefully it buckets down with snow and we get sent home from work :rotfl: I could do with a day in my pj's watching movies with dh and the dogs :T
    Can't think of anything smart to put here...
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    rising_from_the_ashes Posts: 12,433
    Combo Breaker First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 6 December 2012 at 12:51PM
    mMorning all :) thanks DNMS for starting us off & congrats on the job (and fingers crossed for the next interview on Mon!) zepsgal movies with DH & the dog sounds good ... will keep my fingers crossed for snow for you!

List for today
    • Have bath, thermals on ..... heating off
    • B / L / D from stores
    • Don’t smoke
    • Check online banking, shuffle as needed & update spreadsheets
    • Sort cats & tidy up
    • Check e*bay listings & cat food swap / sale site
    • Knit DMs Christmas scarf .... running out of time!
    • Washing & hang up Done
    • Finish marking up weekday "to do" notebook
    • Sort through mags & remove recipes & find somewhere to put them! Recycle what's left (thanks Jonno!)
    • Sort through 3 bags of old paperwork & shred
    • Reserve Iron so I can run in & collect on way back from hospital tomorrow
    • Pick chicken - make stock & then Risotto & Soup .... yum!:D Chicken picked, stock made & soup on!
    Have a great day everyone :)
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • mummybearx
    mummybearx Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    mMorning all :) thanks DNMS for starting us off & congrats on the job (and fingers crossed for the next interview on Mon!) zepsgal movies with DH & the dog sounds good ... will keep my fingers crossed for snow for you!

Snow for me, snow for you, I don't think you are too far from me :T

Congrats on the job DNMS! Even if you aren't taking it, it's good to know you done enough to get it :T

And RFTA, you don't have 'find the camping stove' on your list?? :rotfl:
    Can't think of anything smart to put here...
  • zepsgal wrote: »
    Snow for me, snow for you, I don't think you are too far from me :T

Funnily enough, it seems to be missing me just now - DM&DF about 40 miles away & they've loads & loads 20 miles up the road but we've just had a smattering here ....
    zepsgal wrote: »
    And RFTA, you don't have 'find the camping stove' on your list?? :rotfl:

:rotfl:Wondered if you'd notice! I've found it!:T
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Good Morning my lovelies

dnms - thanks for starting us off and congrats on the job, everything crossed for Monday. Very wise words for NTBY and I think I may try and be a little more kind to me and mine.

Hi to all the regulars and welcome to any lurkers and newbies :wave:, you've joined a FAB supportive thread.

Well little one feeling much better today (doesnt look it though) and has begged to go to school so he's gone and they will call me should he go downhill, yesterdays trip to the Drs just resulted in more Calpol as he has a viral infection and appears to be through the worst of it - fingers crossed as we have signed up to do a "Santa Jog" on Sunday for BHF. Todays little list

Check Banks - Done
    Check swapits - Done
    Check Postcode on www.freepostcodelottery.com -
    Work (11.30-1.30) -
    Print Snowman Soup labels -
    make free calendar on www.bagsoflove.co.uk/calendars/free-personalised-photo-calendar/ -
    Wrap few Christmas pressies -
    General Tidy round - Done
    Meals from stores -
    Update Christmas List and see whats left to get -
    Chase up work for password so I can access my payslip -
    Investigate selling knitting mags & books for mum -
    Update Food Tracker - in progress (35lb, so far)
    Comps -
    Read - in progress
    Knit -

Hope you have all had a great day, love to you all :A

C xx
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 17/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• Pernicious
    Pernicious Posts: 1,786 Forumite
    edited 6 December 2012 at 5:33PM
    Morning all,

Shh, I’m working!! Had a fantastic time yesterday evening, wasn’t the most MSE of nights as DH wanted a few beers…& train fares are downright shocking these days but it was fun & well worth it. Back on the wagon today though!

Thanks for starting us off DNMS & congrats on the job even if you’re not taking it, something more suited to you will be along soon enough I’m sure J Good luck on Monday.
    Zepsgal – Ditto regarding the snow! It won’t happen here though we’ve not got it bad enough at all.
    RFTA – Your list looks so much more manageable today!
    Ziggy – Good luck with the run on Sun just in case I don’t see you around here on the day.

Today I have/will:-
    • Most food from stores
    • Made use of free water & milk at work
    • Staying in for my lunch break to avoid spending
    • Dinner from freezer for DH, I’m off out for my departments Xmas do but the meal is all paid for our of our lottery winnings, so only need to pay for a drink or 2 tonight, will get DH to give me a lift so no need to fork out for taxis!
    • Charging phone at work
    • Heating off as long as possible & on low when needed, lots of layers on to keep warm.
    • Daily clicks etc on Sw@gbucks, must change my 666 total, haha!
    • Log calories using free app
    • Check online banking
    • Surveys
    • Declutter & flylady
    • Check for new mystery shopping opportunities
    • Enter some comps
    • Wrap some presents if I get time
    • Read Martin's email properly as I only skimmed it on the train ride home yesterday
    • Check the price of Br@ve on Amaz0n, it went down to £10 but I was waiting for my MIL to tell me what she was getting DH so I delayed my order so I can do it in one & now it’s back up to £14.99, grr! :mad:
    • Catch up with yesterday's thread & the day before that!
    Have a great, MSE day everyone x
    :idea:Debt at July 2012: £12,862.57 :eek:
    :dance:Current Debt: £0 :j
    100% paid off!
    :think: Savings Goal for November 2016: £5000 :cool:
    :D Current Savings: £1176.24 _party_
    23.52% Saved!
  • Morning all :) short list for me today as I'm tired :o

Cooked lamb out of freezer for curry for tea. Will make double sauce and freeze half (sauce only)
    Lunch from stores
    Wrap final 5 or so Christmas presents
    Watch some Jamie O 15 minute meals on planner for inspiration.
    Take big cat to vet tonight as his back legs are playing up, don't know if it's an injury or his arthritis is back :(
    Print Christmas card labels via mail merge, check out any I'm missing
    May write cards, was planning on doing post birth, but at this rate I'll miss 2nd class post deadline :rotfl:

Think that's about all, have a good day everyone :)
  • Pernicious
    Pernicious Posts: 1,786 Forumite
    So I'm still working.....on DFW things :p Just caught up on the past threads!
    zepsgal wrote: »

That was really nice of you Pernicious, must have been a tough day for you all

Erm, not sure how to upload pics on here??

It was very tough seeing my friend so upset, I can only imagine how she is feeling & that is bad enough! Time is healer though, just want her to know I am here for her if she needs me.

You can upload to something like Photobucket & then use the little insert image button at the top, or even just copy & paste works I think! It’s been a while since I posted a pic on here.
    wishies_x wrote: »

Making a list for tomorrow, DH has taken the day off tomorrow to come to my midwife appointment (I'm really nervous, last time they couldn't feel his head, in fact he last two times!) so I'm worrying he is breech and scared about CS, having him there will hopefully be my lucky charm and baby will let us know where he is, I feel kicks and punches everywhere so I have no clue ) anyway after the midwife appointment we said we would get some crimbo bits and get everything ready for my hospital bag, I'm making a list so I don't stray!

Hope everything is ok with the baby, there’s still time for him to turn so don’t stress yourself out just yet.

If I don't write everything down atm then I just forget about it - like the prescription. I've even had to start writing big notes & sticking them on the kitchen cupboard doors to remind myself about Appts .... not me at all so it must either be a side effect of my condition or the drugs I'm on

I won't get through 1/2 of them ........ about to head off for a sleep in just a mo!

Lol I am the same lately! I think it’s because we are trying to juggle so much at the moment what with debt busting, Xmas as well as numerous other things it’s just easier to get it down on paper. Hope you had a nice nap, that sounds like bliss!! I feel so tired lately but no time for naps at the moment!

I've spent the eve looking at insurance quotes... We've been offered a free car!!! How often does that happen?! But insurance is around £80 per month. Just don't know if we can

Wow that’s awesome! How have you managed that? Insurance sounds very high though, what kind of car is it & do you have a history of claims? For our little 1.4 it’s only £400ish for me & DH for the year, but then we don’t do a whole lot of miles & the car isn’t worth much these days!
    :idea:Debt at July 2012: £12,862.57 :eek:
    :dance:Current Debt: £0 :j
    100% paid off!
    :think: Savings Goal for November 2016: £5000 :cool:
    :D Current Savings: £1176.24 _party_
    23.52% Saved!
  • Good afternoon everyone! Hello from a gloomy and chilly north-west!

DNMS - thanks for starting us off. Excellent on the job offer. Hope it's a good confidence boost :)

ally - hope you have a better day today

Perni - glad you had a nice evening

Well, I had a very fed up evening last night (and yes it did end up being beans on toast for dinner :o)
    NTBY really hope that things pick up for you lovely, remember perni's words and be kind. I do understand what you mean re the obsession over money and I have had to take a step backwards recently to just chill a bit as I became a money nazi. I became aware that I have friends who have a lot less money than me but who act much more freely with it (I also know they aren't in debt) which got me thinking that maybe I assume a sense of poverty. So recently I've been trying to ease that up a little and it has taken some pressure off IYSWIM? x

Thank you for posting this DNMS. It really struck a chord with me. I have been massively overpaying my debts, trying to get rid of them quickly, but I often force myself into targets that aren't sensible and there's a guilt to using any spare money for something other than debt repayment.

This has been very obvious since OH's teaching wages (our pocket money) has dropped, yet I am forcing my cc repayments to keep going up and up?!

Then I get to the position where we will be using food money to fund our trip to the work's Christmas do (only got told on Monday that there is a charge of £17.50 for partners and it's been booked for 2 months :mad:)

So today's list

B/L/D from stores (2 out of 3 achieved so far :D)

Iron Christmas party dress (shock horror at ironing!)

Check Barclaycard statement (£2.02 residual interest. Paid off already :D. Might reduce limit further)

Check online banking

Have switched off internet on phone because am near data limit. Have also banned OH from home internet for same reason.

Charge phone in work

Put heating on this morning because it was freezing and OH in house until 4pm but he has switched it off already :money:

Keep telling myself that I will cut out the other cushion cover (too fed up to contemplate last night)

Make a list of last Christmas bits to buy (one last thing for mum, uncle's present, stuff to make sweets)

Start posting Christmas cards. Will use franking machine at work to reduce postage cost (always pay work for the amount though, but cheaper than stamps)

Hope you all have a lovely day x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite

ally - hope you have a better day today

Nope! Going to work was still rather like stepping into a parallel universe...;)
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure