Has anyone used 'we buy books.co.uk'?

Comments

• CrazyRatLady_2
    CrazyRatLady_2 Posts: 158 Forumite
    edited 25 June 2012 at 7:27PM
    Oh yes do your research with all potential sales avenues and do whichever looks like it will have the most return.

I've never had any books rejected or values lowered by webuybooks on the basis of condition - some I've sent it were as new, some were a bit tatty (ex library) and one was a DVD boxset with a cracked case, but in that instance I messaged them first to ask if it would affect value and they said no.
    £2012 in 2012 member #15: £651.55/£2012
  • Hi, I have just received a cheque today from this site. Very reliable and very quick to send money compared to other sites I've used. Admittedly they do only accept certain books but no complaints on the service, highly recommend.
  • I was so happy to when I found this site. Started entering book codes and got the dreaded 'sorry' message. More than 30 mainly art, design and travel books have been entered with only two books priced - unfortunately both with the wrong title. 'Webuybooks' say that I should send them if the barcode is correct, hard to verify without a scanner.

Other book buying sites make an attempt to give you a reality check - certainly not as cuddly but much more realistic.

Here's what 'webuybooks' say: "Just type in the ISBN numbers on the homepage of the We Buy Books website, find out how much they’re worth, print a postage label, post them to us for free and within three days of receiving the items we’ll send you your money. Simple. Everyone’s happy. Just please, whatever you do, no more Fifty Shades of Grey."

'We buy books.co.uk'? No they don't!
  • cherryaa
    cherryaa Posts: 21 Forumite
    I've just tried it with 20 books, only two of which were accepted. They offered 20p for one popular science hardback, and £4.80 for a massive best-seller that I can ebay for a bit more. They play very safe!

Maybe you & I should stick to reading titles from the top twenty, Rita, then sell 'em straight away ... Meanwhile, what to do with the hundreds of tomes I need to shift before moving to a tiny new place??
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    I just sent 8 boxes to a charity I tried about 30 ISBNs on the site and got one accepted so I decided it was a waste of time and they have gone to a good cause. The company is based just down the road and I would have to drive past it to the post office to send them. seems a bit mad to me but they won't let you drop them there.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • lyniced
    lyniced Posts: 1,880 Forumite
    anyone else had a problem with them losing your parcels? I sent over £35 worth of books, only for them to go missing AFTER they've been delivered. I have kept all my tracking etc, called them, but they have no trace of me or my delivery (despite them emailing me a delivery label).
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni
  • campdave
    campdave Posts: 2,198 Forumite
    kaybains wrote: »
    it is now the 11th May 2015.

No it isn't.
  • Avoid using we buy books - this company is a scam .

See the 2015 reviews on Trustpilot - which are overwhelmingly negative

I dispatched and tracked my box of books on the 8/04/15, which were safely delivered to them. Yet I have failed to receive a check payment for handing my items in. It has been more than a month they still have not paid nor contacted me about the box of items. When I contacted them, we buy books said that there was an error and they had lost all of my account details. They still have not paid me it is now the 23/05/15.
  • onlineid
    onlineid Posts: 157 Forumite
    I also had a rubbish experience with Webuybooks.com and would not recommend.
  • Horizon81
    Horizon81 Posts: 1,594 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So are there any other alternatives for selling books? I have a lot of old uni textbooks for sale. To be honest they may be worth nothing but I at least want to see if I can get anything for them before giving to charity or recycling.

I'm not going down the ebay/amazon route. Don't have the time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure