Scuba Shifts North and Debt.

I've had diaries over the last couple of years covering my initial move to the South East to live with my ex partner and then my living alone for a while.

The net result has been that although I left the north with some debt the last three years of keeping afloat has left me in significantly more. Equally it is still manageable debt and relatively small amounts compared to many so I want to get back on track clearing it.

My current fixed outgoings are minimal.

£100 for my car, this includes saving £50 towards paying my tax and insurance annually and £50 petrol. Worst case I can stop paying the saving portion until I'm working again.
£10.50 for my phone contract
£27 finance for a sofa I bought in January for my old flat.

So a total of £137.50

On top of that I have two credit cards.
Barclaycard which I spent on which has a current balance of £1261.55
and and MBNA rate for life with a balance of £3425.40, part of this is on the r4l and £1300 is on 0% until the end of June next year.

That gives me a total debt of £4686.95.

The combined minimum payments this month are just short of £80.

Currently I am living at my Dad's house, while I look for a job, whilst I job hunt I plan to keep up with my surveys/swagbucks/instagc/review writing online earning avenues in addition to mystery shopping.
It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
Sir Terry Pratchett
Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113

Comments

• :j Happy new diary scuba, fingers crossed you get a job soon and can knuckle down with debt busting.
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • scubaangel
    scubaangel Posts: 6,600 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Right now I am contemplating some spending....

I want to rearrange my Dads study to make it in to my sitting room now I'm back here, but at the moment have some of my bedroom furniture in there which is making it impossible, so am measuring up my bedroom to see if I can fit an Ikea chest of drawers in next to either the tall boy or the stacked bedside tables. It'll give me alot more storage space as at the moment I've an old desk which small drawers against that wall which isnt practical anymore.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,176 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Thanks Beanie.

This afternoons research has told me I need to go to ikea to spend £35 on the three drawer Malm chest of drawers, because ordering online other than the fact the white isn't on the website, will cost me another £35 in delivery charges! Madness.
    So need to find out when my step Dad's in a good mood and bribe him to drive me there in his van as my car isnt big enough and I expect it'd be too heavy for me anyway. Am going to make that this weeks challenge.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    edited 30 August 2013 at 3:53PM
    Spoken to my step dad - that man is an absolute star. Apparently he passes two different branches of Ikea while hes working (white van man for TNT), so has offered to pop in to the one he passes at the start of his route and pick the chest of drawers up for me, and if they don't have the one I want in stock he'll visit the other at the end of his shift. I just have to give him back the money after he's bought it for me.

So I now need to empty the drawers of the desk/dressing table which currently occupies the space I plan to use with the chest. The problem with that being that I need to move the small (and also very over filled) book case so I can get at half the drawers.

Walked in to the village and paid the two cheques from the tv licence rebate in to the bank which will cover the barclaycard payment this month, but did spend £5 while I was there on a pasty, a pack of coke cans and some milk for home as we'd run out.

But I did find my shop and scan scanner and scanned the shopping, so I can get that one started again. Need to find the neilsen scanner and get it set up on my dads phone line again - will have to phone them with the change of phone number though.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Went shopping with my Dad, that should be food for most of the week sorted.

Did a Field Agent audit on the way so once that's approved I have some more pennies to send over to my paypal account towards my booked weekends away this month.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ladymay
    ladymay Posts: 1,126 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Ooo, where are you going on your weekends away?
    2019 Aim: Save £10,000
    Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want now
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Nowhere over exciting, the first one is a friends housewarming party back in Surrey, so should just cost me fuel and some shopping for food while I stay with her.
    The second is a trip to Wakefield, its a semi annual trip for people from another webforum I use, missed last years weekend but booked my hotel room for this years a while back so that one will only cost me food and booze....which tbh means it'll probably be a fairly expensive one.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Mum and my Step Dad just came round they've been to Ikea for me so I now have a chest of drawers to build. I also owe them £35, found the box I was using to keep cash I made from selling things via fb before I moved which has £20 in so will go round later and give them that, then get the other £15 when I go to a cash machine.

Desk is now in pieces in the hall of the house, when I take the cash over to mum need to find out when they're planning a tip run and see if the desk will fit with their stuff otherwise its a trip out in my car on monday.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• clippy_girl
    clippy_girl Posts: 2,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    happy new diary! sure that debt will shift in no time with you back at home for a bit :)
    :j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport