Parking in front of driveways

Comments

• JohnG
    JohnG Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Most people do park their car intentionally, I can agree on that. However, claiming that they do it purely "TO ANNOY" seems rather odd to me.

I suspect that this can happen if there have been previous altercations over parking and if the driver in question takes offence then they may well do it out of spite to wind the complainent up further.

Sadly that's the way of things these days...
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    MrsE wrote: »
    Yes I drive through the main B road through the village after dark WITHIN THE SPEED LIMIT.

I am not ashamed to say I do on or near the speed limit after dark, through a deserted village:rotfl:

So you still think it is safe to drive over speed humps at 30 mph in a village?

The mind boggles.:rolleyes: :eek:

Little wonder 4 x 4 drivers get so much flak.:rolleyes:
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I don't have any problems with people parking outside my house since we put in a drive. My problem is when my parents or my in-laws come to visit. They always used to park in front of the houses next door (no drives, but they do have cars). I keep telling them that they can park in front of mine, because i'm not going to be going out when they're visiting me! My parent's now park in front of our house. However, my in-laws don't. I'm only trying to be neighbourly, but I can't help it if my visitors don't comply - even after repeated tellings!
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    We got back from the supermarket today with a car full of shopping and two kids (one disabled) to find some b*****r parked in our driveway (and we have no off road parking at all in our street which is a very narrow one lane road! Were not amused and gave him what for when he came back to collect it. And he didn't see what the problem was!!!

Think I might come and watch TV in his living room some time, and see if he then understand the concepts of trespassing on private land and inconveniencing others!
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Our neighbours have a car each and he drives a works van too. Then each of their four children visit daily and there is more often than not another two cars outside - making five cars and one driveway!!

What makes it worse is the houses only have single driveways and we are right opposite a cul-de-sac so lose a lot of 'parking space' to the junction.

Now we only have one car so there are no issues there and, while it is blimming annoying when we have guests and they can't park, we are well aware we have no more right to the road in front of our house than they do.

What does annoy me is our neighbours attitude. The sons often park at the end of our drive way, but in fairness to them it is usually when they are outside the house anyway (washing a car or fixing one for example) and they quickly move it if we need to get in or out. It's a bit of an inconvenience waiting for them to move, but we can live with that.

However, the father went mad one night when my bil parked at the end of his (and our) drive way because he'd brough the trailer to move some stuff for us and couldn't park in front of the house because two of their cars were there!

The cheeky bar steward sat with his hand on the horn and was shouting at them to get it moved! He got a mouthful from my OH and bil for his trouble but I'm still astounded at his cheek! :mad:

Anyway, my thoughts are that developers need to be making drive ways bigger as many households do have more than one car now, and when the children get older and have cars too, it can get blimming ridiculous!

This isn't something they seem to be doing around here but perhaps other areas are better?
  • bestpud wrote: »
    Anyway, my thoughts are that developers need to be making drive ways bigger as many households do have more than one car now, and when the children get older and have cars too, it can get blimming ridiculous!

This isn't something they seem to be doing around here but perhaps other areas are better?

Dont make me laugh, here they think its reasonable to build town houses on an estate with no parking at all! Idiots. There are plans for another 1000+ houses and I read that they are trying to have less than 1 parking space per house???

PS love the sig
    :j
    May 2013 new beginnings:j
  • JohnG
    JohnG Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    wendy24g wrote: »
    Dont make me laugh, here they think its reasonable to build town houses on an estate with no parking at all! Idiots. There are plans for another 1000+ houses and I read that they are trying to have less than 1 parking space per house???

PS love the sig

Yes, there seems little or no consideration to increasing infrastructure for traffic, waste, sewarage, schools, doctors, hospitals, drainage, flooding etc etc Only the need for more and more houses! It's all going to end in tears I fear.
  • kr15snw
    kr15snw Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    Nicki wrote: »
    We got back from the supermarket today with a car full of shopping and two kids (one disabled) to find some b*****r parked in our driveway (and we have no off road parking at all in our street which is a very narrow one lane road! Were not amused and gave him what for when he came back to collect it. And he didn't see what the problem was!!!

Think I might come and watch TV in his living room some time, and see if he then understand the concepts of trespassing on private land and inconveniencing others!

And this instance block them in, so they have no chance of getting out. Then refuse to move!!

If they come and ask you to move, ask why theyve parked on your drive? Private property etc. Then just refuse for the night and leave it till the morning. Explain you have photos of his car on your driveway and with yours in front so if you find any damage to your car youll know who to come through.

If he calls the police he is in the wrong and so can get done for tresspassing.

Watch them suffer!
    Green and White Barmy Army!
  • tracey55
    tracey55 Posts: 119 Forumite
    we are constantly on the phone to police as we have a keep clear sign on road we have a transit on drive and chipper in garage and my dad is a tree surgeon and gets a lot of emergencys.
    people still park so he cant get off the drive and even getting phonecalls from police at 2am in the morning doesnt stop them doing it so i agree most people do it just to be annoying
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    kr15snw wrote: »
    And this instance block them in, so they have no chance of getting out. Then refuse to move!!

If they come and ask you to move, ask why theyve parked on your drive? Private property etc. Then just refuse for the night and leave it till the morning. Explain you have photos of his car on your driveway and with yours in front so if you find any damage to your car youll know who to come through.

If he calls the police he is in the wrong and so can get done for tresspassing.

Watch them suffer!

Unfortunately our drive is very short (more a forecourt in front of the house really), so the only way to do that would be for us to park over the pavement, which would mean ironically that we would be the one getting a parking ticket/car towed away if the traffic warden passed by. Nice thought though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure