VEHICLE ENQUIRY free from DVLA

Comments

• I checked if my old betty was still on the road but she is unlicensed so it looks like she's gone to meet the big carburettor in the sky!!
    Twins, twice the laughs, twice the fun, twice the mess!:j:j
  • Spikey wrote: »
    That means that the car has been in some sort of accident and the insurance has written off the car with that registration plate and paid the owner.

This car will may have now been probably repaired or the plate has been fraudulently used on another car.

This car may have been repaired and put back on the road.... if you buy it and you have an accident then you will not get the full value of the car (maybe not even what you paid for it)

The current owner has a duty under law to inform you that this car has been in an accident and to what degree was the damage.

My best advice..... the insurance people only write-off cars when they are beyond economical repair and so DON'T TOUCH IT WITH A BARGE POLE... it may cost you more then money.....

Hope that Helps

Spikey
    Thanks. I just got confused as the current number plate results were fine but this info was about a previous plate and I didnt understand the relation.
    This was actually a purchase for my OH but he said that he couldnt be asked to do a check so I took it upon myself to do it for him. Very glad that I did and money well spent which is very MSE in the long run.
    When the guy phoned and asked why we didnt buy the car, we told him the reason but he made out that he didnt know what we was on about. So Thanks for your help!
  • shown73
    shown73 Posts: 1,268
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    So, if our much loved XR4i comes up as "unlicensed", does that mean that it still exists somewhere?
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It says my car is beige. How interesting.

(it's canvas beige metallic i'll have them know! :p)
  • bs7
    bs7 Posts: 774 Forumite
    this site may be helpful too:

https://www.askmid.com - it allows you to check whether a vehicle is on the Motor Insurance Database
  • i have just bought a car but it isn't showing up.
    Vehicle details could not be found

"As it has not been possible to locate the vehicle details, your enquiry cannot proceed and has been cancelled."

picking it up on thursday.
    any ideas?
    does it work for cars in NI?
  • bravobeastie
    bravobeastie Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    Date of liability means the MOT. I'm guessing anyway as 1st August came up for my car and its MOT is due then.

Tax isn't due till June (end of)
  • bing0
    bing0 Posts: 451
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    zytno wrote: »
    You can use the Vehicle Enquiry service to check what information DVLA holds on its database about a vehicle.
    In order to make an enquiry you will need the Vehicle Registration Mark (number plate), and the Vehicle Make

http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk
    Then click on 'Vehicle Enquiry' on Left Hand Panel...
    Third one down from the Home button

thought I'd bump this as its very useful.When you do a free search,you enter the car reg and make (Ford) for example.

This service is handy as it shows the carbon levels your vehical releases.
    "Do not let what you can't do interfere with what you can do."
  • I also checked my previous cars,3. I was curious what info my 1st one showed as id heard that it was taken to the scrap dealer and sure enough it had the revelant info, date of liability was 2005.....
    Mummy to two girls: October 2013 and February 2016
  • Hi i have literally just brought a vaxhal astra and have check online to see what information is held on the car before i bring it back.It is saying that the car is unlisenced does anyone no what this means?and whether i am likely to end up with a huge bill if i try and tax it?
    Thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport