David lloyd gym membership.....prices??

Options

Comments

• gymsalesjames
    Options
    yvonnemaus wrote: »
    Charliezoo,

1. I know someone who phoned DL for a price to upgrade to rackets about a year ago. They said they could not give prices over the phone and that a personal visit had to be made. This ended up with the potential member, who did not want the aggravation of hard sales, joining a different club to play squash while still using DL gym, as an interim solution.

2. My price increases have been over 10% for each of the last three years. And I know for fact that other people are paying less for more, and these are not people who are unemployed or students or in any way disadvantaged. They just joined more recently. This is the con.

gymsalesjames (presumably from DL staff?),

How do you get 40 options for a particular gym? Basically for a specific gym it's health only or health and rackets, off-peak or anytime, single or joint or family. And as applied to a normal working person who is going to pay monthly by DD indefinitely. Any add-ons, special options, or deals should be left out, otherwise they are just being used as a smokescreen to confuse and hide the con as mentioned above, that is that loyalty does not count.

Just as with the well-known ripoff insurance and savings accounts, the behaviour they will end up with is annual churn, i.e. everyone leaving after the first year.

I actually work for one of David Lloyds competitors, and we have about 20 price options. Of the top of my head they have:

Standard
    Standard + towel and vantage benefits
    Standard + rackets
    Standard + rackets + towel/vantage
    Corporate + towel
    Corporate + rackets
    Corporate + rackets + towel/vantage
    Under 21
    Under 21 + rackets
    Under 21 + rackets + towel/vantage
    Over 60
    Over 60 + towel
    Over 60 + rackets +towel/vantage
    Off peak
    Off peak + rackets
    Off peak + towel/vantage
    Off peak + rackets + towel/vantage
    Under 18
    Joint
    Family
    Nanny (joint but not to use teh facility, to oversee a child while other member used club)

Each of these is available in 3 month and 12 month direct debit optiont and also a 12 month pre pay option which gets you a discount.

I make that about 60 and I've probably missed some.
  • yvonnemaus
    yvonnemaus Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    gymsalesjames,

Would you be so good as to give GymAnonymous's prices for the following anywhere in the Midlands:

Single Person, Direct Debit:
    Standard
    Standard + rackets
    Off peak
    Off peak + rackets

Joint (2 people), Direct Debit:
    Same options as above.

It would at least set a baseline for comparison for (arguably) the most common scenarios
    Thanks.
  • gymsalesjames
    Options
    gymsalesjames,

Would you be so good as to give GymAnonymous's prices for the following anywhere in the Midlands:

Standard
    Standard + rackets
    Off peak
    Off peak + rackets

Same options as above.

It would at least set a baseline for comparison for (arguably) the most common scenarios
    Thanks.

I'm afraid I've never heard of gymanonymous. Or am I misunderstanding the question?
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    gozaimasu wrote: »
    I don't understand why this affects the price? If I join a gym, I expect to use it for any time it is open. Why is the monthly price affected whether I use the gym once a week or every day?

If I tell them I want to use it every day will they quote me a higher price?

My motto is that if I am paying 70 quid a month for a gym then I am going to try and go every single day of the week to get the best value out of my money.

A couple of years ago I did a free week at DL and they quoted me anything between £58 and £80 a month, and that was with a corporate discount!

The facilities were great but the sales staff were evasive on prices and I hated the amount of personal details I had to give out in return for a simple price.

I will never be joining a David Lloyd club ever.

I believe it means whether you'd go anytime or off-peak only, some can go during the day & so it's normally cheaper.

You can get a price for DL on their website, just click the join now button, fill in page 1 which asks the date you want it to start, how many kids/adults & date of birth & page 2 says options & prices
  • yvonnemaus
    edited 21 June 2012 at 10:25AM
    Options
    gymsalesjames,

OK then...

Would you be so good as to give [STRIKE]GymAnonymous's[/STRIKE] your gym's name, location and prices for the following ..........:

Standard
    Standard + rackets
    Off peak
    Off peak + rackets

Same options as above.

Thanks.
  • yvonnemaus
    Options
    UKTigerlily,

Where exactly on the website is the "Join Now" link???

If you really are seeing this, then please list exactly how you navigated to the point at which you can join online, starting from whatever page you like, but preferably http://www.davidlloyd.co.uk/home

I've only ever seen links to arrange a visit or to enquire about membership where someone will get back to you.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you have a modern LA run leisure centre in your area? If so, do check out the prices - it is incredibly cheap compared to the DL type of establishment.
  • gymsalesjames
    Options
    gymsalesjames,

OK then...

Would you be so good as to give [STRIKE]GymAnonymous's[/STRIKE] your gym's name, location and prices for the following ..........:

£58 Standard
    £50 Off peak

£53 Standard (each)
    No discount for off peak but joing get 1/2 price joining fee (£39-50).

Thanks.

Assuming a 12 month contract above.

We dont have rackets, it's gym, pool, classes steam/sauna hot tubs.

It will vary wildly accross the country though. I know some clubs in my chain have memberships up to £80 per month.

A thread like this on a forum is pretty useless, it would be better to have a "is this quote fair" or something like that. As every situation is different.
  • MrsShawToBe
    MrsShawToBe Posts: 594 Forumite
    Options
    Am I the only one who thinks it looks like yvonnemaus is just doing research?? She's got 22 posts and most, if not all, are on this thread, and she seems way too interested in gym membership prices...
  • MrsShawToBe
    MrsShawToBe Posts: 594 Forumite
    Options
    And if anyone is really bothered, search 'exersize 4 less' and there may be one near you. £14.99 a month if you sign up for a year, £19.99 a month if you want to do a rolling monthly one

xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure