PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Shabby Chic; Volume III

Penelope_Penguin
Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
edited 21 May 2013 at 5:02PM in Old style MoneySaving
Good morning :beer: I've had a request to start a new thread, so here it is - enjoy :)

This is a new thread dedicated to all things shabby chic. Think traditional english style mixed with new england, Cath Kidston, Laura Ashley and reusing/repainting old furniture to fit in with this style.

The old thread is here; I'll close it once everyone has found this one.

DD and I have been restoring a Freecycled ottoman chest, for her to put her sewing stuff in. I'll see if I can add photos :D

Official MoneySavingExpert.com insert: Thanks to Penelope Penguin for starting the latest shabby chic discussion. Click reply below to take part. If you haven’t already, join the forum. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
:rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:

Comments

• jem1276
    jem1276 Posts: 396 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    :TLooking forward to seeing everyone's bargains.
  • MrsMoo2U
    MrsMoo2U Posts: 4,005 Forumite
    Thanks Penelope, looking forward to a whole new thread of great makeovers. Who will be the first to show off their hard work I wonder
    Some days there aren't any trumpets, just lots of dragons. Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, I will try again tomorrow -- Mary Anne Radmacher
  • Ive seen people raving about the thread before the thread before this (!!!) - anyone got a link to it? TIA
  • Ive seen people raving about the thread before the thread before this (!!!) - anyone got a link to it? TIA

It's linked to in the first post of the thread penpen links to above, iyswim!

It's here.

:)
    "A cat can have kittens in the oven, but that don't make them biscuits." - Mary Cooper
    "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful" - William Morris
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.
  • hart44
    hart44 Posts: 1,610 Forumite
    cherisong wrote: »
    Thanks Penelope, looking forward to a whole new thread of great makeovers. Who will be the first to show off their hard work I wonder

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I don't think it will be me, Im still working on my kitchen :rotfl:

I have a pine corner shelf cupbard, a stool with a draw and now the pine plate rack to do but Im not allowing myself to do them till the kitchen is done :o
    Getting myself sorted 1 day/1thing at a time :) and Love sewing :)
    "Sewing fills my days,
    not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
    ~ Author Unknown
  • Habibiboo
    Habibiboo Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    I'm in the middle of a few knitting / crochet projects, but have an eye on a tatty old side table we were given,you know the ones with the gorgeous mock leather / gilt top which sits under a piece of glass - the glass acts as the table top (no pics to explain what I mean, I'm afraid, my camera is out of battery - that Friday feeling)! Anyway, my mum won a cross stitch kit, which is in colours which complement my living room, so I'm thinking of completing it and then putting it under the glass of the table-top instead, plus giving the legs etc a sand and varnish. Does this sound OK or a bit naff? It's a pretty contemporary cross-stitch, glamorous girlie with flowers, not puppy with a balloon or owt like that! I'm thinking it won't get done until the Christmas holidays though, as there's presents to be made before then!
    Stash busting 2014 45 / 60 (balls of yarn)!
    2014 Sealed Pot #2136 ?/£500
    House: Decluttering 322 / 365
    Original mortgage [STRIKE]£149,000[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£117,750[/STRIKE];[STRIKE]£112,500[/STRIKE] MFW 2014#69 GOAL 1: [STRIKE]£109 K April[/STRIKE] ;) GOAL 2: [STRIKE]£103 K by Sept[/STRIKE] ;) GOAL 3: < £100k by end of 2014 MF goal: Nov 2020 - 4 years early
  • Thanking you xxxxxxxxxxx
  • MrsMoo2U
    MrsMoo2U Posts: 4,005 Forumite
    HabibiBoo wrote: »
    I'm in the middle of a few knitting / crochet projects, but have an eye on a tatty old side table we were given,you know the ones with the gorgeous mock leather / gilt top which sits under a piece of glass - the glass acts as the table top (no pics to explain what I mean, I'm afraid, my camera is out of battery - that Friday feeling)! Anyway, my mum won a cross stitch kit, which is in colours which complement my living room, so I'm thinking of completing it and then putting it under the glass of the table-top instead, plus giving the legs etc a sand and varnish. Does this sound OK or a bit naff? It's a pretty contemporary cross-stitch, glamorous girlie with flowers, not puppy with a balloon or owt like that! I'm thinking it won't get done until the Christmas holidays though, as there's presents to be made before then!

I am working on the same kind of nest of tables in the hope that it will match my ottoman and use it as side tables for the guest room. I have the wallpaper from LA to match the material. Pinched the idea off a lady on here, either Kandi or Hart sorry cant remember which one.
    Some days there aren't any trumpets, just lots of dragons. Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, I will try again tomorrow -- Mary Anne Radmacher
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,092 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Just done up bedroom and didn't want to buy new curtains. Had a look at sari fabric online but still more than I wanted to pay as it's quite a wide window and I'd have wanted a good drape. In the end, I bought 4 different types of trim - a wide dusky dark pink satin ribbon, a textured silver braid with green threads running through it, a silver ribbon and a narrow pinky-purpley coloured satin ribbon. I've sewn them to the bottom of the curtains and it might not sound like much but it's given some very ordinary curtains a real touch of vintage-looking glam. I've got a patchwork bedspread on the go (quite a lot more to go if I'm honest!) and am going to cover the old LLoyd Loom linen basket & ottaman that used to be my Nan's years ago. Just on the look out for one of those old frame-less 1930s mirrors to go on the wall now. Used to have one, but THREW IT AWAY!! That was before I discovered my inner scrooge, of course x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    I'm hoping to find a bedside table on freecycle to jazz up. Landlord did a lovely job on the one in my BFs room- painted white with a big crystal handle :D
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport