People and liquids in hand luggage

Options

Comments

• DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was, shall we say, very strongly encouraged to throw away said containers. :p
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    I don't see the point in that even if they just had a small bag or even just a mobile phone then they still need to put it through the X-ray machine and still need to walk through the metal detector so it wouldn't be any faster.

It would be much quicker than standing behind all the dumba$$es who don't bother to take their liquids out of their suitcases until they're at the trays and then have to put them in the clear bags because they forgot and then realise that half of them are too big anyway.

When I travel for business I have to check my case as I have things in it I can take as hand luggage so I only have a small bag to go through security that I just chuck in the tray and walk through. It drives me to absolute distraction when I stand there for 10 mins while the people in front sort through their cases. A separate queue for people without cases would be a godsend and would cut the queues considerably. Let the stupid unorganised people take as long as they like, but no need to hold the rest of us up.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    It would be much quicker than standing behind all the dumba$$es who don't bother to take their liquids out of their suitcases until they're at the trays and then have to put them in the clear bags because they forgot and then realise that half of them are too big anyway.

When I travel for business I have to check my case as I have things in it I can take as hand luggage so I only have a small bag to go through security that I just chuck in the tray and walk through. It drives me to absolute distraction when I stand there for 10 mins while the people in front sort through their cases. A separate queue for people without cases would be a godsend and would cut the queues considerably. Let the stupid unorganised people take as long as they like, but no need to hold the rest of us up.
    Maybe we should have 3 queues:
    1 for travellers like you
    1 for travellers like us who have all their liquids & gels in the right sized containers already packaged in the right sized clear re-sealable bag and empty their pockets and take their belts off and have their laptops or tablets ready to be scanned separately
    and
    1 for the "stupid unorganised" people. ;)

I can certainly see your point and would share your annoyance if I were travelling with just a small bag as hand luggage.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Maybe we should have 3 queues:
    1 for travellers like you
    1 for travellers like us who have all their liquids & gels in the right sized containers already packaged in the right sized clear re-sealable bag and empty their pockets and take their belts off and have their laptops or tablets ready to be scanned separately
    and
    1 for the "stupid unorganised" people. ;)

I can certainly see your point and would share your annoyance if I were travelling with just a small bag as hand luggage.

Even better!

Queue 1 - Travelling light
    Queue 2 - Travelling organised
    Queue 3 - Should you really be travelling?

:rotfl:
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Even better!

Queue 1 - Travelling light
    Queue 2 - Travelling organised
    Queue 3 - Should you really be travelling?

:rotfl:

Queue 3 - how you not be organised? I'm flying on next Sunday and I have seen the liquid restrictions on the travel company's website, brochure, documents. Then when I have online checked in on the airline's website, the printed boarding passes. Then there are at least 6 signs in the airport you will walk past. Some are the airline's signs if you are flying with an airline which has those check in/luggage drop off points on a permanent basis.

You are reminded about a dozen times but you don't take notice. Still take large bottles etc, don't put them in a clear see through bqg, don't take out electronics, remove belt etc.

I feel so tempted to say if the person in front of me in security is one of these 'queue 3' numpties something. Though I'm worried that that will stop me from boarding. I'm a queue 2. Take out the things about half way in the queue. Shoes (if needed) when I approach the screening area. Hence why I wear slip on shoes.
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Nodding_Donkey Posts: 2,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 September 2017 at 7:48AM
    Options
    Banning hand luggage altogether would be the easiest way to cut queues at security.

Either that or a zero tolerance approach.

Comply or don't fly.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Banning hand luggage altogether would be the easiest way to cut queues at security.

Either that or a zero tolerance approach.

Comply or don't fly.

That would not work. Though I have hold luggage, I have my hand luggage for electronics, travel documents, food - sweets, cereal bars as I get light headed when I travel and refuse to pay £2.50 for a bag of sweets at airport, reading material so the time passes quickly when waiting at departure lounge, gate and in the air. Also, depending on the length of flight, I take a spare t-shirt as I feel fresher for changing.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That would not work. Though I have hold luggage, I have my hand luggage for electronics, travel documents, food - sweets, cereal bars as I get light headed when I travel and refuse to pay £2.50 for a bag of sweets at airport, reading material so the time passes quickly when waiting at departure lounge, gate and in the air. Also, depending on the length of flight, I take a spare t-shirt as I feel fresher for changing.

But those are just your choices, are you saying that if hand luggage was banned you would give up flying because you can't have a cheap cereal bar?
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you need wheels on your suitcase then I'd suggest it's no longer "hand luggage"

Then your suggestion would be incorrect.
  • The-Truth
    Options
    You always 'choose to'

Airport Security have no legal right to search you or to confiscate goods.

Yeah but they can stop you going Airside which is the important thing!

Why did you even talk this know-it-all crap "Airport Security have no legal right to search you or to confiscate goods" without acknowledging they have the perfect right to stop you going Airside.

You are the classic example of a know-it-all getting all the important stuff completely wrong!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure