Furniture delivery - ruined carpets

Options

Comments

• Shaka_Zulu
    Shaka_Zulu Posts: 1,689 Forumite
    Options
    oj29 wrote: »
    People here don't even know that when you order something online the retailer is liable for the delivery of the goods and not the delivery company. I don't see how these people can give advice on consumer rights when they don't know these rights.

A couple of things here, if you want advice of your legal rights then you need to contact a solicitor otherwise you are just asking for random opinions on the internet.

The rest of what you say may or may not be true depending on who delivers, who contracts with the delivery company etc. A post above has pointed out that there may be a possibility that your delivery contract may not be with Ikea.

Do you know for sure?
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    People here don't even know that when you order something online the retailer is liable for the delivery of the goods and not the delivery company. I don't see how these people can give advice on consumer rights when they don't know these rights.
    Given that this is the first time you've actually confirmed the order was made online it's a bit much to criticise others when they've not had the full facts from you.

Also, you still haven't answered my question as to what did you say/do when they made the delivery to try and mitigate this issue of them walking all over your new carpet?
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    Options
    I gave them the information yesterday but the point is, the contract was with Ikea and actually they should be taking responsibility for this. It's just poor customer service really, they could've just refunded the delivery cost in the first instance and I wouldn't have thought anything of it.

Why would I care about whether it comes out of their till or not?

As you seem to know your rights, what exactly are you asking advice about?
  • oj29
    oj29 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Given that this is the first time you've actually confirmed the order was made online it's a bit much to criticise others when they've not had the full facts from you.

Also, you still haven't answered my question as to what did you say/do when they made the delivery to try and mitigate this issue of them walking all over your new carpet?

No issue with people walking on carpets, I walk on carpets wearing shoes all the time and don't leave mud everywhere. There was a mat and cardboard on the floor to soak it up, I didn't think it would be fair demanding they take their boots off and on when going to and from their truck. After this happened twice, he remember they had boot covers in the truck. A previous delivery company told me they weren't actually allowed to wear them because of health and safety.
    If I was a delivery guy and had been walking through mud, I would do something myself to mitigate this. What would you have done in this situation?
    LadyDee wrote: »
    As you seem to know your rights, what exactly are you asking advice about?

I was asking advice about why the delivery company have contacted me and Ikea have wiped their hands clean of the matter despite it legally lying with them.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    What would you have done in this situation?
    Whilst I wouldn't have expected them to remove their shoes either, in fact it would probably be a H&S reason to dictate that they couldn't, I would've at least made it very clear that I had new carpet down and could they make sure their shoes were clean/dry before entering.
  • Sillym00
    Sillym00 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    "I was asking advice about why the delivery company have contacted me and Ikea have wiped their hands clean of the matter despite it legally lying with them."

Does it matter? If IKEA sent a letter asking for evidence of damage and quotes to clean it, would you feel better?

You paid for delivery which has happened. It's annoying that your carpets got dirty but it will be professionally cleaned and therefore you're no worse off. Why would they refund the delivery cost when you used that service you paid for?
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't think it would be fair demanding they take their boots off and on when going to and from their truck.

ARE YOU KIDDING?
    What should they wear going across open ground while carrying heavy goods?

Maybe you should have told Ikea when you ordered the goods that you did not want the delivery company to deliver to any other customers because you have a new carpet that you cannot be bothered to cover to protect it.
  • oj29
    oj29 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    ARE YOU KIDDING?
    What should they wear going across open ground while carrying heavy goods?

Maybe you should have told Ikea when you ordered the goods that you did not want the delivery company to deliver to any other customers because you have a new carpet that you cannot be bothered to cover to protect it.

Am I kidding? What so I should have asked them to remove their boots? :T
  • askmeaboutsofas
    Options
    I was just wondering how to approach this?
    Send the photographs, cleaning costs and other supporting evidence to the solictor from the courier company. They will pass it onto their insurance for a claim, and then pay you for the cleaning.
    I don't really see why the delivery company are contacting me
    Because they need this information to claim your cleaning costs from their insurance. Involving Ikea in this would add unnecessary confusion to the issue, as your information would have to go through several sets of hands before it got to the person who needs it (the courier company's solicitor). This way should be faster and more efficient than going through Ikea. You can send a copy of everything to Ikea as well if you think you won't get the result you want from the courier company.
    and attempting to intimidate me in giving up on this
    This doesn't sound like an intimidation attempt, they are asking for evidence their insurance company will need. A lawyer is less intimidating than, say, them sending a member of their staff round to check the damage for themselves, or anyone arguing with you about how the dirt/damage was done.
    really IKEA should have issued a refund and paid for the cleaning costs and then they should have tried to retrieve this from the delivery company?
    Without the information that the courier company's solicitor has asked for, none of what you want to happen will be possible. The end result should be the same as it would have been if Ikea were dealing with it directly - the courier company will refund your cleaning costs, and you won't be out of pocket.

Neither Ikea nor the courier company are obligated to refund the £35 delivery charge itself, but you could ask Ikea to do so as a gesture of goodwill. Be nice about it and maybe you'll be lucky, sometimes they can go above and beyond what you'd expect.

Now personally, I would recommend that you always inform any couriers or other workmen who have to come inside your house that you have cream carpets that are very expensive and difficult to clean. Leave it up to the couriers whether they wear boot protectors, take off their shoes, cover your floors in something to protect it etc, but make sure they're aware that any dirt on your carpets will cost their company money.
    I once delivered a TV unit to a customer, and was asked if I could take my boots off. In the end I covered the entire path we would take from their front door to the TV room with dustsheets and delivery blankets, which easily absorbed the tiny bit of dampness/dirt on my shoes. Basically give them the problem and they will find a way to solve it, but don't expect them to notice it for themselves - even if it seems obvious to you.

I'm curious who the courier company is though. Could you PM me their company name?
    Well informed on the subjects of sofas and wood furniture, and well opinionated on everything else :rotfl:
  • NotRichAtAll
    NotRichAtAll Posts: 888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    upon asking them to bring it upstairs

seems to me like you invited them in and failed to lay paper down or ask them to remove their muddy boots.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure