Staining a pine table grey

Options
I want to stain / dye a pine table a mid-grey from Ikea to match my new kitchen but finding it quite hard to find the right thing to do the job in that colour.

I want to be able to see the grain of the table - all I find is outdoor fence stains or grey furniture paints. Not sure if outdoor stains are suitable for a dining table or furniture paints won't look great once waxed.

Any ideas?

Comments

• glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Chalk paint will do well, it's trendy and therefore expensive though. Everyone wants to be chic!
  • Reece_
    Reece_ Posts: 275 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Depending on the shade of grey, osmo oil tints or oil stains, the tints are easier to work with but the stains give you more scope on making it lighter or darker depending on what you're looking for.
    If you use the stains then you'll have to put a clear coat of polyx over the top.
  • Nomoonatall
    Nomoonatall Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    Options
    You could have a go at making your own chalk paint...it's a lot cheaper! Add Plaster of Paris to normal paint...you'll have to look it up, got a migraine approaching...sorry. I'm going to paint my dining table in this way though.
  • scrub
    scrub Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    Thanks everyone,

I'd seen the Osmo stains but wasn't sure if they were suitable for an indoor table. I'll check them out again.

I'm using Rustoleum chalky finish furniture paint on the legs.
  • esmy
    esmy Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Google 'Colour Washing' - I think this would give the effect that you're after and would be very cheap to do with a small amount of grey emulsion
  • Wassa123
    Wassa123 Posts: 393 Forumite
    Options
    We literally just did this exact thing this weekend.

We painted the Ikea Tarva pine table grey. We used some furniture paint from B&Q. We only used one coat, but the wood soaked it in so we can still see the grain. Wasn't intended, but we like it :).
  • scrub
    Options
    Wassa123 wrote: »
    We literally just did this exact thing this weekend.

We painted the Ikea Tarva pine table grey. We used some furniture paint from B&Q. We only used one coat, but the wood soaked it in so we can still see the grain. Wasn't intended, but we like it :).

Did you sand the wood down? I tested some paint on the back of a draw that wasn't sanded and it didn't look great.
    Save
  • Wassa123
    Options
    Nope, the pine wasn't really smooth anyway. Just sanded the flimsy back and drawer liner.

We used Colours Quickdrying Satin/Light Rain
  • Wassa123
    Options
    Image attached. Didn't do the handle as we'll be putting a nicer one on anyway.

IMG_3866.jpg
  • scrub
    Options
    Thanks. That looks really good. Very subtle and you can still see the grain. I'll look into it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure