Hogging right lane

Comments

• sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    I don't mind right lane hogs, as I had a lovely cruise home on the M6 toll last night that, despite very sparse traffic, I had an whole (left) lane to myself for the entire journey, just sat relaxed on cruise control.

Not sure why not a single other vehicle joined me, weird!
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • Iceweasel wrote: »
    I would think that keeping out of their way would lead to less accidents - don't you?

I do hope you've learned something from the 100 posts here.

But I fear with your attitude of "I'm doing the speed limit no-one should be passing me." and getting into the right lane early and then without an early signal to show you intend turning at the next junction, that you are going to do the same thing again.

Unless you start thinking that you could perhaps have made a better job of this you are going to get flashed a lot.

It doesn't matter if you are right - best to avoid annoying people even if they are wrong.
    Whether or not people want to pass me (and break the law) is their choice but I would prefer not to be tailgated and flashed at on a dark morning (or at any time for that matter). I believe even with an early signal, he probably still would have had the same reaction because he would have preferred me to either break the speed limit like he was or move back over to the left. Unfortunately for him, I wasn't prepared to do either :D
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    OP, from what you've described in your posts i honestly can't see anything that you were obviously doing wrong. Perhaps you could have moved over a little later, perhaps you could have indicated for the turn a little earlier.

None of us know because none of us were there, but you've already said that you've taken both of those points onboard so you clearly are accepting and learning from advice. Accepting and learning from abuse is, of course an entirely different matter that some posters seem to get confused over.

Unfortunately around here there seems to be a pervasive assumption that if someone is out of the left hand lane and is flashed or tailgated then that person - rather than the one flashing / tailgating - is automatically in the wrong and a lane hog. You'll find the same lunatic assumption on many, if not most, motoring forums because to many people "stay left" is the only thing they've ever learnt and so it's the be-all and end-all of motorway driving for them.

They're they ones who cut in FAR too early after passing, inconveniencing you by forcing you to continually slow down in order to keep a safe gap but God forbid that someone should inconvenience them by getting in their way for a few seconds when thy want to speed.

These people tend to have very poor observation and anticipation skills (or they wouldn't move left in order to immediately swerve out again or hammer the brakes to avoid lorries!) and it's generally best to politely ignore their opinions and give them as much space as you (safely) can on the road because their driving will be centred entirely around their own perspective.
    Thank you for speaking the most sense in this thread :T
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,016 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    sillygoose wrote: »
    I don't mind right lane hogs, as I had a lovely cruise home on the M6 toll last night that, despite very sparse traffic, I had an whole (left) lane to myself for the entire journey, just sat relaxed on cruise control.

Not sure why not a single other vehicle joined me, weird!

No surprise, it costs £5.50 to drive on the thing!!!
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 October 2016 at 4:31PM
    I think impatience is more likely to lead to accidents by such things as tailgating or blinding other drivers by flashing the headlights. Just an example....

I would say that over confidence causes at least as many accidents as impatience. Indeed, impatience is often a product of over confidence. I have been driving for a little more than 3 years, and my driving isn't fault free. I see that in spite of your confidence in your abilities, you still haven't said how far away from the junction you moved to the right. If you were indeed right, why the reticence?

Someone isn't necessarily correct simply because they agree with your view. Your over confidence could make you a real risk. One of the reasons for drink driving rules is the high level of over confidence it gives you.

Don't drive with a holier than thou attitude. You will come unstuck. Drive to take account for the idiots around you. And you never know, sometimes the idiot will be you. Accept you can make mistakes and then drive to take that into account. Also as others have said there's no joy in seeing a tombstone that says:

"Here lies Wunderlust23. His driving was faultless, his speed was unimpeachable. Alas being right didn't save him."

• Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    I see that in spite of your confidence in your abilities, you still haven't said how far away from the junction you moved to the right. If you were indeed right, why the reticence?

Possibly because we still live in a society where people - rightly - aren't required to prove their innocence and "you won't give a distance therefore you're obviously in the wrong" is pure witch-hunt logic?

As for over confidence, surely moving over a little early (if he did), when he can do so without risking having to over-confidently force himself between other cars at the last minute, is a sensible precaution while gaining experience?

I really do struggle to understand why so many people so aggressively condemn what they assume was lane hogging (with nothing but their own assumption to back that up) while condoning tailgating and light-flashing in the same sentence and suggesting it's the fault of the op rather than the tailgater.

That's essentially the same mind-set that blames the rape victim for wearing a short skirt!
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    facade wrote: »
    No surprise, it costs £5.50 to drive on the thing!!!

Is that why everyone drives in the middle? The perception they are getting their money's worth.. weirder still!
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,016 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    sillygoose wrote: »
    Is that why everyone drives in the middle? The perception they are getting their money's worth.. weirder still!

For £5.50 I'd want to experience every millimetre of it, if I couldn't reverse back along the second lane to go forwards again along the third I'd weave from lane to lane like a Grand Prix car. :D

When it first opened, people used to have a go on it as there were no speed cameras and no traffic either. ;)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    facade wrote: »
    For £5.50 I'd want to experience every millimetre of it, if I couldn't reverse back along the second lane to go forwards again along the third I'd weave from lane to lane like a Grand Prix car. :D

When it first opened, people used to have a go on it as there were no speed cameras and no traffic either. ;)

I've never been on it - I don't approve of toll roads or bridges.

It's been a complete disaster and has 'lost' money every year - translated that means that there have been no big profits for the 'entrepeneurs' aka Fat Cats behind Midland Expressway Ltd - oh dear, my heart bleeds - how sad, never mind. :D

It's likely to be nationalised soon isn't it..
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Op, for what it is worth, you did the right thing in making your move with plenty of time to separate your 2 actions (move to r/h/lane, exit to right).

Pity you didn't have a rear facing dashcam or you might have been able to post a video like THIS one.

Unfortuanatley for the van driver, he was tailgating an unmarked Police car.
    Still, you could hav uplaoded it to Youtube so the world could see 9and possibly identify) the prat behind the wheel.

The one thing that really irks my are drivers who think that this sort of action is acceptable.
    I had a BMW (no surprises there) decide to try to undertake me a month ago as I was out in the right hand lane to overtake one lorry, but due to the short distance to the next) decided to stay out to clear a 2nd.
    The idiot came screaming up behind me, cut to the left lane and realised almost to late that he could not complete his manouver and had to slam on his brakes.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    patman99 wrote: »
    Op, for what it is worth, you did the right thing in making your move with plenty of time to separate your 2 actions (move to r/h/lane, exit to right).

Pity you didn't have a rear facing dashcam or you might have been able to post a video like THIS one.

Unfortuanatley for the van driver, he was tailgating an unmarked Police car.
    Still, you could hav uplaoded it to Youtube so the world could see 9and possibly identify) the prat behind the wheel.

The one thing that really irks my are drivers who think that this sort of action is acceptable.
    I had a BMW (no surprises there) decide to try to undertake me a month ago as I was out in the right hand lane to overtake one lorry, but due to the short distance to the next) decided to stay out to clear a 2nd.
    The idiot came screaming up behind me, cut to the left lane and realised almost to late that he could not complete his manouver and had to slam on his brakes.

Idiots drive any and all makes of car.

BMW does not have a monopoly on idiots. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure