Grants for home insulation - bargains!

Comments

• Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I applied through EON for my 80 year old mother, who qualifies for free insulation. All EON does is pass the details on to some firm that subcontracts. the surveyor has disqualified the job!

The property is a semi-detached bungalow, and has solid walls. So no cavity wall insulation possible which is fair enough. He had a look at the loft, and it's not tall enough! Me and the builders have been in and out doing all kinds of stuff up there. I have boards and lights up there to facilitate movement.

All they want to do is lay and go.
    No intention to provide good insulation,
    just pick up the government subsidy for doing as little as possible.
  • I used these guys to do my cavity wall insualtion and it saved me a proper wedge. They helped me apply for some grants and stuff which was very useful. I'm going to have them do my loft insulation, booked in for September.

their website is markgroup.co.uk

I'll let you know how the loft goes!:j
  • TheKav wrote: »
    I used these guys to do my cavity wall insualtion and it saved me a proper wedge. They helped me apply for some grants and stuff which was very useful. I'm going to have them do my loft insulation, booked in for September.

their website is markgroup.co.uk

I'll let you know how the loft goes!:j

I've got these guys coming to do a survey on my new (to me) house on Friday.

My only concern with this is the horror stories regarding damp following CWI, have these issues gone away with the use of modern materials like the blown fibre they now use?
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Hi, my wife's Mother is having loft insullation put in by the MarkGroup. She's claims that it is free. Anybody know how this works? Does she pay and then have to claim it back or does MarkGroup sort the money out? Thanks.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • kiran83
    kiran83 Posts: 44 Forumite
    hi i am 28 and OH is 29. we both work full time. I am just wondering if we would qualify for any governments grants for loft insulation?
    mortgage debt as of Feb is £192,185.01p :eek: mortgage debt as of March £184,619.62
    mortgage debt as of April: £182,396.22
    Aim to overpay £1,700 pm /£11,500 ops made in 2011 mortgage debt as of May:£179,772.66
  • Mevs01
    Mevs01 Posts: 56 Forumite
    There are grants available from Scottish & Southern Energy even for non customers as well as most other suppliers. As long as you own your own home you may be able to get a grant.

Loft insulation grants range from £40 - £250 depending on your property type and how much insulation is exisiting. If you have less than 60mm existing you will get a bigger grant.

All you need to do is give them a call. :money:
  • Mevs01
    Mevs01 Posts: 56 Forumite
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    Hi, my wife's Mother is having loft insullation put in by the MarkGroup. She's claims that it is free. Anybody know how this works? Does she pay and then have to claim it back or does MarkGroup sort the money out? Thanks.

But, the Mark Group will have links with suppliers who will fund them for carrying out CWI to obtain carbon savings. So your mother in law may well have got it free of charge Mark Group would then sell the carbon savings to a supplier who would pay Mark Group for the work and the supplier will use the carbon savings towards there CERT targets.

Everyones a winner.
  • Hi does anyone have experience good or bad of the above. Looking to get cavity wall and loft insulation. Many thanks
  • SEE
    SEE Posts: 722 Forumite
    British Gas came round to survey my loft last week. They refused to do it as the loft hatch was 50mm to small for health and safety. This means the old houses that really need it won't be getting loft insulation as they are built on similar specs. A cop out as modern houses don't need insulation as much. Perhaps they knew this when offering grants.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Halifax, taking the Xtra since 1853:rolleyes:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • If only someone would offer grants to those of us without cavity walls to have external insulation fitted....
    The cost of that is frightening and the savings are weak in comparison. Four bed detached = ~£16k to insulate - annual saving ~£450. Time to break even = 35 YEARS!

Yeah, like I'm gonna pay for that doing :whistle:
    A pair of 14kw Ecodans & 39 radiators in a big old farm house in the frozen north :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure