PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Veggie stew... anyone...

Comments

• My DS likes vegetable stew, he will eat any veg in it as long as it has plenty of dumplings. No recipie really but chop onions garlic butternut squash carrots potatoes turnip. Add sainsburys soup mic (dried pulses) a tin of canelloni beans. Pour veggie gravy over it, (oh and caraway seeds, they go really well with squash) put it in a large casserole dish in a very low oven. I do it on 3 gas or in the slow cooker and leave it for about 6 hours. Then I make dumplings add a little water if it needs it and cook for a futher 20 mins or so. He will then eat this for the next 2 days. It is about the only healthyish vegetarian meal I can get him to eat. He prefers pizza or macaroni cheese for nearly every meal.

I have just ordered a slow cooker a Prima which is a `best buy` in this months WHICH mag.

I want to be able to cook dumplings in it but you say 20 mins this doesn't sound very long to me (bearing in mind it is a slow cooker) usually when I make a caserole in the oven I add the dumplings last and cook for about 50 mins. Can you just confirm you mean 20 mins and if you do what is your recipe for the dumplings please

Ta
  • rockie4
    rockie4 Posts: 1,264
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    African Sweet Potato stew

Ingredients 4 generous servings!

1 onion, chopped
    ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
    knuckle of freshly grated ginger
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 teaspoon hot curry paste
    350g sweet potato, peeled and cubed
    225 button mushrooms, halved if large
    300ml passata
    300ml vegetable stock
    250g spinach, washed and roughly shredded
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
    4 tablespoons peanut butter
    Instructions

1.Heat oil, then fry onion, pepper, ginger and garlic for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until beginning to soften
    2. Add the paste and fry, stirring constantly for one minute. Then add the potato and mushrooms, stirring for a minute or so to make sure they get well covered in the spice mixture
    3. Add the passata and stock. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 15- 20 minutes until the mushrooms and potatoes are tender.
    4. Add the spinach and stir in until just wilted.
    5. Take a couple of spoons of the liquid from the pan and mix with the peanut butter to soften, then add this mixture to the pan with the coriander. Heat until peanut butter is to same temperature as rest.
    6. Serve and enjoy. I like this with rice or couscous.

Meat eating OH thinks this is the best!!
  • rockie4
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Spicy root and lentil casserole (serves 4)

1 onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 parsnip (~180g), thickly sliced
    4 carrots, thickly sliced
    600g potatoes, diced
    1 litre vegetable stock
    2 tbsp curry paste
    100g red lentils

- fry onion and garlic until softened
    - add root vegetable and cook for a further 5 minutes
    - add stock, curry paste and lentils, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes

Dead simple and very tasty!
  • kunekune
    kunekune Posts: 1,909 Forumite
    Thanks Rockie! I've been looking for this recipe! It is similar (though not identical) to something in the first edition of Rose Elliott's Bean Book, and I was thinking about making it, but my book had fallen to pieces and been chucked. DH will be happy.
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : £129,600
    Overpayments to date: £3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
  • rockie4
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Glad to be of help!!
  • bulchy
    bulchy Posts: 955
    First Post
    Forumite
    I made this yesterday for my lot. I've made it before for myself and my daughter who likes vegetarian food, but isnt a strict veggie.and the OH kept asking me to make it again, my son doesnt like beans so had to blitz his portion with the hand whisk, he said it was delicious.

Potato and bean casserole.
    Diced Carrots, leeks, parsnips, turnip, onions, in whatever quantities you need/prefer, fry in extra virgin olive oil for about 5 -10 mins, then add some potatoes and fry for a further 5 mins. I then add whatever pre-cooked beans I have in the cupboard, usually canellini or borlotti (sp???) water and bouillon. I usually just simmer mine on the hob, unless the ovens on for something else, otherwise you can put it in the oven until veg is cooked and it has thickened. Yesterday was the first time I made it for all the family and it went down well served with crusty bread.
    Sue
  • bulchy
    bulchy Posts: 955
    First Post
    Forumite
    Forgot to say, theres been some delicious recipes posted here, thanks, I'm definitely gonna try some, especially the spicy root and lentil casserole.
    Sue
  • Hi, I plan on making a few huge stews for quick meals when our baby is born. If I make them using frozen veg, will it be safe to freeze portions of it once its cooked? Or does this count as refreezing once thawed etc and risk food poisoning?
    Any advice appreciated!
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Hi there you should be fine...as you have cooked them and then frozen them its really only re-freezing once frozen food thats a problem-if you haven't cooked it inbetween
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Pollybear
    Pollybear Posts: 3,235
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Normally the rule is that if you cook food that has been previously frozen then it is safe to freeze it after, so I would say yes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure