PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• I am looking to Kondo some of my personal paperwork, and I'm wondering what people do with their wage slips? I've got some from around ten years ago, when I was paid weekly, so I've got a number of them. I was wondering if there's any point in me keeping them?
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I am looking to Kondo some of my personal paperwork, and I'm wondering what people do with their wage slips? I've got some from around ten years ago, when I was paid weekly, so I've got a number of them. I was wondering if there's any point in me keeping them?
    :) Schools of thought vary about payslips. Some schools of thought say just retain the annual P.60. I did know an senior administrator for a large law firm who thought employees should retain them as evidence you did work somewhere. With workplaces flickering in and out of existance, and even long-lived organisations having a high turnover of staff, it can be useful to prove where you were working.

With things of this nature, I stack them neatly in envelopes, fold them over and tape them up, labelled clearly somethng like Payslips from XXX Ltd (date to date) Archived. Then I put them in the tin document box which serves as my coffee table. Thus, I can get at them in seconds if I need them, but they are tidy and aren't in the way of everyday life.

Of course, others do differently.

:o Guys, I know some of you *love* hearing about daring deeds of kondo at the parental home, where I will be until mid-evening, and I though I would have to disappoint you by saying that nothing could be done this trip. Then - ta dah! - Mum let me into her workshop shed. Well, am having a teabreak right now, but will be back shortly.

This is an 8 x 12 ft wooden workshop shed, wired and lighted and containing a workbench, a lathe, a bandsaw and a pillar drill. It's also full of tools, sawdust, womblings, coffee cans, chunks of timber, margarine tubs and more Might-Be-Usefuls than you can shake a stick at.

Thus far, I have creamed off some of the most obvious carp, such a a plastic tube of flexbile wood filler which had solidified and marg tubs which have distorted under the weight of other tins and bottles. There's plenty in there, imo, which can go, but can't IYSWIM.

Howsomever, I intend that by tea-time tonight, there will be enough floor to stand on with both feet at once. And that I am going to stick masking-tape strips on some coffee cans to save keep opening them to see what's inside.

The first labels will read; Castor cups (mixed sized), castors (salvaged), tape (misc), Misc bolts, misc screws and more than likely Misc Misc.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Imagine a normal shed or garage but heavily cluttered. Then imagine throwing the contents of lots of containers around and stirring sawdust and cobwebs in with a collection of plastic containers and tins from the past 40 years. If you're flinching, rest assured that you haven't got the tenth of the picture of the horribleness.:p

But there is light, and a knackered old ghetto blaster which I'm about to re-tune from Radio4 to something a bit more rawk&roll. Given the workshop contents, heavy metal would be entirely appropriate.

There are also spiders and I am wearing sandals. I'm trying not to think about the critters in there.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Greenbitterfly,

Nope, no point in keeping really old docs. Keep 6 years of P60 to prove your income to tax office if necessary, but no need to keep pay slips. May be a good idea to keep the latest 12 months of payslips and utility bills (if not online), incase you apply for loan, mortgage or rented accommodation, as proof of income and address.

I decided ages ago to keep one of each utility bill and one wage slip for every year so I could look back and laugh at how cheap stuff was and how little my wages increased (if at all), as the bills rose! I keep them in a ring binder with an old fashioned design on the cover :). I will not let it spill out into a second binder!

HTH

M
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Years ago, the pension laws changed in the Netherlands to include parttime workers, and it was retro-active, as long as people could prove it. This was done to include more women in the pension scheme. My mum was over the moon, as she had done a lot of parttime nightshift work at a women's refuge centre. Unluckily, dad had cleared the admin the year before and had thrown away all the payslips, diary where mum wrote the hours she had worked, etc. Mum was not happy and dad still has to hear about it. He never was allowed to do the admin, and still isn't, so we're not sure why he ever did.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,982 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    A rare trip round with the duster this morning, Kondoing dust, I discovered that what I thought was an empty box used for propping an electrical 4 socket block on to get a telly on the top of a tall COD, actually contained 4 brand new shirts for OH. I've told him off before about keep buying flipping shirts on special offer......... Don't have enough room to add to the existing brand new in packets stash so had to put them somewhere else. 16 unused shirts....... can anybody beat that?
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• I was thinking of scanning them, and then shredding them. They are from when I was a Room attendant, I hated every second of that job for the nearly two years I worked there. The wage slips don't 'give me joy' and take a bit of space currently sitting in a shoebox.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I was thinking of scanning them, and then shredding them.
    That's certainly what I'd do - mind you, I'm addicted to scanning things and getting rid of them (I'm scanning my late uncle's 12 page printout describing family life in the 1930s right now) - I hate having lots of paper cluttering my house up, I've let it pile for years.

I wouldn't just chuck them (speaking to others, really) - at the very least, keep the annual forms, and keep a sort of "CV" where you list your jobs, your job titles, and what you did - if you ever have to prove it, you'll be happy you've got something like that :)

As I say, I'm scanning right now - and the other thing about doing what I'm doing is that I don't use paper records for my genealogy research any more. Sometimes you *have* to write things down, in pencil, if you're researching somewhere where delicate records are kept, but I haven't been well enough to do that for years, and most places have a lot of records online anyway. Computer beats pencil :j
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Chieveley
    Chieveley Posts: 418 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    On the payslip debate I keep the P60/P45 and the last payslip that went with it as it shows NI paid over. I worked a lot as a "temp" and one agency went to the wall and I could not claim any jobsekers as Government they said I had not paid in any NI for year 200x. I could prove otherwise and got the job seekers allowance. Justin still got a grip on our garage, counted 13 plugs cut off items when being allowed to help tidy yesterday.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :D Well, have been in the shed for over two hours and have worked wonders. You can now stand on most of the floor and the recycling wheelie bin is full of deformed plastic containers and warped tims.

Still plenty of non-deformed containers and more biscuit and sweetie tins labelled Misc Screws than I'm entirely comfortable with, but several things have been hiffed out and are going to the tip tomorrow.

I've told her that I'll have another pass at the shed on August Bank Holiday weekend, if we're spared.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,671 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 July 2016 at 5:50PM
    Payslips: I'd tend to keep them, or a representative selection with P45's because one does hear of companies not paying National Insurance, despite deducting it from their workers. And sod's law declares it's the worker that has to sort it out with the powers that be, not the employer. (Rolls eyes.)

And keeping scanned copies sounds like a fine idea, I can imagine the joy of consigning the originals to a fire... :D
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure