Returning a used car ? My rights

I bought a car from a dealer on Saturday half cash half finance and as I was driving home the car developed a fault, it's happened twice more since Saturday and I've booked it in to the garage on Wednesday. My question is if its somethings. Major can I return the car hassle free ? I did take out extended warranty and the dealer offers 30 day warranty but to be honest if it's something major I would rather return it than have it fixed.

Car was fine on test drive but fault developed when going over 60mph on motorway and developed the other 2 times when doing 60 on country roads.

Expected better to be fair cars only done just over 25k miles, full service history. Cost just under £7k half was on finance too if that affects getting a refund in anyway ?

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes, as you are within 30 days in theory you can reject the car outright for a full refund.

Also bear in mind if you do choose to have it repaired then they are only allowed a single attempt, after which you can push for a refund.
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    when you say it is booked into the garage is that the selling dealer that is taking the car back to look at it?
  • SC1991
    SC1991 Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No the dealer I bought it from is a fair distance from me it's booked in to my local garage but I've rang the dealer and told him the situation so depending on how serious the problem is ill take it from there.
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    by taking it elsewhere you may be creating problems for yourself

regardless of distance you should go back to the selling dealer to give them a chance to repair the car
  • SC1991 wrote: »
    No the dealer I bought it from is a fair distance from me it's booked in to my local garage but I've rang the dealer and told him the situation so depending on how serious the problem is ill take it from there.

If you let someone else have a crack at it, you may find the supplying dealer will not play ball with any further action you wish to take - as he can, quite truthfully, suggest that any third party activity has compromised his ability to resolve the problem, or indeed may have exacerbated the original fault.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    force_ten wrote: »
    by taking it elsewhere you may be creating problems for yourself

regardless of distance you should go back to the selling dealer to give them a chance to repair the car
    I don't agree. The OP has a 30 day right to reject he doesn't need to give the dealer a right to repair he just need to prove that the fault is inherent and was present when he purchased the car.
  • neilmcl wrote: »
    I don't agree. The OP has a 30 day right to reject he doesn't need to give the dealer a right to repair he just need to prove that the fault is inherent and was present when he purchased the car.

Repair wise, true, but taking it elsewhere could cause an issue, as it's going to be a lot more difficult to prove inherent, and present at purchase, a fault which has subsequently been fiddled about with by a third party.
  • IMO, it will come down to exactly what the problem is and how the diagnosis will be made.
    If it's a problem that be confirmed by either a simple visual inspection or plugging in a code reader then I can't see any harm in getting the fault confirmed by a third party.
    If however disassembly of any part of the vehicle is required then I agree that this could lead to problems if the supplying dealer claims that the fault was caused by the third party.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    edited 17 October 2016 at 5:16PM
    Personally, I would get the garage you have booked the car into to just diagnose the problem. Then you will know what you are dealing with. When you know what the issue is, and what you want to resolve it get in touch with the dealer and see what the next steps are.

I would suggest that you don't get anything done until agreed by the dealer or you decide what to do yourself. If it isn't clear cut what the issue is, dive back to the dealers and reject the car while you still can.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Ops taking it for diagnostics not repair by the sounds of it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business