MSE News: Royal Mail to start leaving post with neighbours

Comments

• As soon as I got the leaflet through my door I opted out and ordered the sticker to put on my letter box.
    I live in flats, and for whatever reason, almost never seen any of the neighbours. In fact, I think I'd struggle to know them if I fell over them on the street. I don't feel at all comfortable having potentially high-value items left with total strangers. And if that upsets my invisible neighbours, well, I don't actually care. I don't know them, they aren't my friends, so why should I care?
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • One suggestion is that the higher executives pay packets are in the millions now and this is sucking out money from the business end where that pay money would have been spent on more postmen etc.

This leaving parcels with neighbours device is intended to cut their responsibilities and deliver more pay to the top but will inevitably result in lost items which won't be compensated by RM.

A shameful scheme in my opinion and should be illegal.
  • hjd
    hjd Posts: 1,214
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I would be happy to have mail delivered to/from some of my neighbours but definitely not all. One I already know has taken things wrongly delivered by a courier company and then lied to say they didn't receive it. Another is very elderly, registered blind and I wouldn't be happy about imposing on her. The other 2 in our cul-de-sac are fine. However, you can't have a selective agreement as far as I can see.
  • What a stupid thing to do. I do not want my mail delivered to anyone but me. :mad:
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    grampyalan wrote: »
    What a stupid thing to do. I do not want my mail delivered to anyone but me. :mad:

Thank you for your input
  • custardy
    Forumite
    rickbonar. wrote: »
    I remember the days when the GPO did the phones and the post and most of the time you would get your post before 9am and the stamps and postal charges were quite reasonable ...and it wasn't that long ago either.
    And you know something they even claimed they were making a profit.!

So what has gone wrong ?

In these days of computers, high tech sorting fast vans and cars, mobile phones you would think that the service would be cheaper and improved.

However this is not the case.. you cannot even get through to them on the phone anymore either (even with their 0870 numbers it's a recorded message service)

I think if it were fully privatised this would worsen further as all the other privatised utilities have proven.

Anyone here have an explanation as to why the postal service is now so bad?

Did you miss the opening of the postal market?
  • Gosh this !!!!es me off so much, I can't even begin. Urgh.
    Already wrote a "nice" letter to royal mail.

Why do they always push things upon us that we never asked? Surely with astronomical costs that they recently put up we're at least able to have a say in something. And a bloody sticker is not an option. Anyone can take that sticker off and you have to wait for another one to be sent.

My neighbours already have been stealing my post, complained to RM no endlessly as they always leave my packages downstairs in the plain view of everyone and countless had been missing by the same neighbours of course. Now they actually want to hand over my post to the stealing neighbours with no remorse? This is really getting ridiculous. Now I have to go and look to buy a PO box. Great.
  • custardy
    Forumite
    Gosh this !!!!es me off so much, I can't even begin. Urgh.
    Already wrote a "nice" letter to royal mail.

Why do they always push things upon us that we never asked? Surely with astronomical costs that they recently put up we're at least able to have a say in something. And a bloody sticker is not an option. Anyone can take that sticker off and you have to wait for another one to be sent.

My neighbours already have been stealing my post, complained to RM no endlessly as they always leave my packages downstairs in the plain view of everyone and countless had been missing by the same neighbours of course. Now they actually want to hand over my post to the stealing neighbours with no remorse? This is really getting ridiculous. Now I have to go and look to buy a PO box. Great.

So you think writing a letter was the best course of action?
  • There are somethings I wouldn't mind being left with a neighbour and others that I wouldn't want to be left.

Perhaps we could add "Opt in" as part of our address, so that when we order a particular item we can specify whether it goes to a neighbour or not.
  • flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 28 September 2012 at 12:32PM
    Custardy - You are coming across as incredibly confrontation. Are you are RM employee or something?
    Even if you are, I'd suggest perhaps taking a step back. You've made 10 posts on the previous page alone!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business