Parcel damaged by courier, need help!

I sold and sent computer via a courier, and the item was damaged in transit by the courier, the screen was shattered.

Luckily, I opted for the extended liability insurance - for peace of mind ensuring the full value - I opened a claim with the courier.

The claims process was wasn't particularly clear, and took a while, eventually I received a response from them to say the claim had been declined - due to fact item was in their prohibited items list as the screen is larger than a certain size and therefore they are no liable, regardless of opting for Extended liability insurance.

I called them up and spoke a "team-leader" who referred me to their website, claiming I accepted their terms & conditions, and it was made clear to me....

This wasn't, this simply isn't the case. I asked her to send me through evidence of the T&C, which she did in an email which was a simply a cut and paste of T&C - could be from anyway, unknown origins!?

Now, I cross-checked this with their website (and I like point out I checked this prior to shipping with them), the terms & conditions on the website, doesn't make any mention about screen-size or this item being prohibited item.

There is nothing online, in the T&C to say this item is exempt from a claim. The reasoning they are using is completely unsound.

I went back to them with this evidence, and point blank refused to re-open the claim and pay-out. I have dated, screenshot of the T&C page to proof this.

What can I do here? They won't accept liability.

Thanks. BBB

Comments

• OlliesDad
    OlliesDad Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    b-b-b wrote: »
    I sold and sent computer via a courier, and the item was damaged in transit by the courier, the screen was shattered.

Luckily, I opted for the extended liability insurance - for peace of mind ensuring the full value - I opened a claim with the courier.

The claims process was wasn't particularly clear, and took a while, eventually I received a response from them to say the claim had been declined - due to fact item was in their prohibited items list as the screen is larger than a certain size and therefore they are no liable, regardless of opting for Extended liability insurance.

I called them up and spoke a "team-leader" who referred me to their website, claiming I accepted their terms & conditions, and it was made clear to me....

This wasn't, this simply isn't the case. I asked her to send me through evidence of the T&C, which she did in an email which was a simply a cut and paste of T&C - could be from anyway, unknown origins!?

Now, I cross-checked this with their website (and I like point out I checked this prior to shipping with them), the terms & conditions on the website, doesn't make any mention about screen-size or this item being prohibited item.

There is nothing online, in the T&C to say this item is exempt from a claim. The reasoning they are using is completely unsound.

I went back to them with this evidence, and point blank refused to re-open the claim and pay-out. I have dated, screenshot of the T&C page to proof this.

What can I do here? They won't accept liability.

Thanks. BBB

Which courier is it?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Letter before action and then small claims.

Take screenshots and print them out just in case they change them. Maybe phne them up again and ask them where the terms and conditions are.

Recording the phone call so they can talk you through which pages and links to use to get that info.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure