Refused home insurance

Options
:mad: Renewal due with esure on 1/6/08. found a cheaper quote with Home Protect on 1/6 so went with them. Received confirmation email of policy. Got phone call on 2/6 from Home Protect wanting clarification of 2 previous claims declared. Rang previous insurers esure for confirmation. Rang HomeProtection back. they said would pass to underwriter. got policy in post next day and an 'amended policy' the day after (which was no different). Got a phone call few days later saying they wanted to clarify claims info, but said I had already phoned with it. They apologised. Got letter a couple of days ago, just asking me to call. Was going to phone today but then they phoned me saying cancelling insurance based on previous claims. Underwriter decided this on 4th June! Tried to get re -insured with esure, but they are now saying 'no' cos policy lapsed. Tried with AA but technically they say cos policy cancelled by Homeprotect, no insurance company will be interested in me now. Re rang Homeprotect to complain and we went through some of the claim data, which they have listed incorrectly. They still won't consider giving me insurance til they can speak to underwriter on Monday. I have only had a claim in 2005 for £575 and claim Jun 2007 for £1390. Homeprotect said they are refunding the fee I paid. I did ask if I had ever been insured with them and they said no, even though they sent me policy documents and waiting until now to tell me cancelled! I can't believe I've been left in the position of having no insurance, just cos I tried to shop around. Very worried about not being able to get insurance. I feel the more I phone around, the more applications will be registered against me, which will make the situation even worse!

Comments

• My parents find themselves in the same situation (albeit that Tesco cancelled their insurance a few years after changing to them - and only when they tried to make a claim) but now no insurance company will touch them. Did you find a solution to this problem?
  • CFC
    CFC Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    David Thomas, complain through their complaints process and if necessary take it up to the Financial Ombudsman. The company had all the details and agreed to cover you before cancellnig your parents cover. Did your parents accidentally mislead them in any way? Have you read the small print on your policy document?
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you have a mortgage try the block insurer for your mortgage company. You'll pay through the nose but sometimes it's better than no insurance.
    The man without a signature.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport