Lastminute.com - Top Secret Hotels REVEALED (London ONLY)

Comments

• baked_2
    baked_2 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Outstanding hotel located in Paddington! - Hilton London Paddington £75
    Amazing Rates-near Buckingham Palace & Theatres - Park Plaza Victoria £89.18
    Superior Hotel next to Regent's Park - Melia White House £97.75
    Amazing deal - Fab Paddington Hotel - Novotel Paddington £99
    Excellence ideal for Oxford St. shopping - Hilton London Metropole £99.38

thank you so much x

since posting i have managed to dislocate my knee cap so am going to try and get something a bit closer to the theatre as i will be on crutches! am looking at this one:

Fantastic rates in the heart of Bloomsbury - 4* - London £109

which i think is the doubletree by hilton west end

my only concern is that it states a standard double - but the offers everywhere else for that hotel have the queen deluxe room only - all the descriptors and number of trip advisor reviews seem to match up though
  • superrug wrote: »
    Morning Folks,

It's my missus 40th coming up and I wanted to take her to see a show in the big smoke on the firday night , and maybe a bit of shopping on the saturday.

I have looked on last minute but a bit overwhelmed by the choices, if anyone could give a single or couple of personal recomendations I would be most grateful.

Friday 1st April for two nights, traveling by train from sleepy ol Norwich.

Hi - what sort of standard are you looking for and what sort of price range? is there a particular area you have a preference for?

In any case, the prices at the moment look like they could well come down a bit so waiting is probably your best option for now. It seems unlikely demand will be too high that weekend.
  • superrug_2
    superrug_2 Posts: 83 Forumite
    edited 10 March 2011 at 12:08PM
    Hi - what sort of standard are you looking for and what sort of price range? is there a particular area you have a preference for?

In any case, the prices at the moment look like they could well come down a bit so waiting is probably your best option for now. It seems unlikely demand will be too high that weekend.

A 4 or a five would be nice - but around 120 a night is around max i reckon, obviously anything cheaper would be good.

We went just before Christmas and stayed in the Andez on Liverpool street , it was ok but just wondered if i could improve on the a little for the money

Oh and well be going to the Aldwych theatre friday night so maybe close to there , any info and help greately appriciated
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Pelican_eats_pigeon
    Pelican_eats_pigeon Posts: 783 Forumite
    edited 10 March 2011 at 11:43AM
    Giantfeet wrote: »
    It's the Tophams in Belgravia. It advertises usage of Molton Brown toiletries on its website but gives only Neutrogena toiletries in the rooms and MB in public toilets after emailing them. Is that enough of misinformation to demand cancellation?
    Thanks so very much.

Gak. A real case for doing your research as this hotel has been mentioned here quite a few times.

You may get further highlighting the promise of a restaurant since as far as I'm aware there isn't one (Note to lastminute/hotel: breakfast room does not equal restaurant!). Though I would double check on this before you rely on it.

I strongly feel that lastminute brings itself into serious disrepute by advertising this and its sister hotel Knightsbridge Green as 4* secret hotels, particularly given their tendency to move people into shabby 'sister hotels' with no refund or recompense. I know they read this thread so I hope someone somewhere finally takes a bit of action.
  • pinksprout
    pinksprout Posts: 100
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello everyone,

Thank you so much pelican for the valuable information and insight you have supplied on this thread.

I am optimistically looking for 5* or top 4* for Friday 18 March for 2 adults; budget £100-£110 or reluctantly slightly more. My husband will already be in London on business but I will be arriving at Victoria and have a late afternoon appointment just off Portland Place (near The Langham). I would like to check-in before my meeting so I am looking for a hotel anywhere in the area between Hyde Park Corner, Marble Arch, Covent Garden or Oxford Circus tube stations and preferably near to any tube station within that area as we will be spending the evening in the West End and Saturday in London too.

I am hoping for a new or newly refurbished (uber :D) modern hotel. I don't want much for my money do I?!

I have done a lastminute search but I'm going round in circles. The prices seem higher than when I looked a few weeks ago. I'm happy to wait until next week to book but if you have any thoughts or recommendations in the meantime pelican, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks.
  • baked wrote: »
    thank you so much x

since posting i have managed to dislocate my knee cap so am going to try and get something a bit closer to the theatre as i will be on crutches! am looking at this one:

Fantastic rates in the heart of Bloomsbury - 4* - London £109

which i think is the doubletree by hilton west end

my only concern is that it states a standard double - but the offers everywhere else for that hotel have the queen deluxe room only - all the descriptors and number of trip advisor reviews seem to match up though

Looks like it. Bear in mind it's not fully finished yet so there might still be construction noise/mess/facilities that aren't working/ready. I presume your theatre's Covent Garden area as if it's any further South or West there will probably be more convenient places.
  • baked_2
    baked_2 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Looks like it. Bear in mind it's not fully finished yet so there might still be construction noise/mess/facilities that aren't working/ready. I presume your theatre's Covent Garden area as if it's any further South or West there will probably be more convenient places.

it is the new london on drury lane

if you had any other suggestion that would be great
  • superrug wrote: »
    A 4 or a five would be nice - but around 120 a night is around max i reckon, obviously anything cheaper would be good.

We went just before Christmas and stayed in the Andez on Liverpool street , it was ok but just wondered if i could improve on the a little for the money

To be honest you probably won't do much better than the Andaz at the £120 price point unless the Athenaeum or one of the other good West End places is available super cheap. If you want value though you might get a very good, well-located 4* in the £90 region. In any case you will probably have to wait for the good deals as Andaz, Athenaeum & other comparable 5* are all £145+ just now, and the 4* deals are only ever good at very short notice.
  • baked wrote: »
    it is the new london on drury lane

if you had any other suggestion that would be great

Can't find anything offhand, might be worth looking around comparison sites to see if you can get a good deal on the Kingsway Hall Hotel which would be even closer to the theatre. Though it's always interesting to stay at a place that's fresh and new so good luck with the Doubletree if you go for it!
  • Pelican_eats_pigeon
    Pelican_eats_pigeon Posts: 783 Forumite
    edited 10 March 2011 at 1:28PM
    pinksprout wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

Thank you so much pelican for the valuable information and insight you have supplied on this thread.

I am optimistically looking for 5* or top 4* for Friday 18 March for 2 adults; budget £100-£110 or reluctantly slightly more. My husband will already be in London on business but I will be arriving at Victoria and have a late afternoon appointment just off Portland Place (near The Langham). I would like to check-in before my meeting so I am looking for a hotel anywhere in the area between Hyde Park Corner, Marble Arch, Covent Garden or Oxford Circus tube stations and preferably near to any tube station within that area as we will be spending the evening in the West End and Saturday in London too.

I am hoping for a new or newly refurbished (uber :D) modern hotel. I don't want much for my money do I?!

I have done a lastminute search but I'm going round in circles. The prices seem higher than when I looked a few weeks ago. I'm happy to wait until next week to book but if you have any thoughts or recommendations in the meantime pelican, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks.

This is indeed pretty optimistic, top 4* is looking rather more likely than 5* for this sort of area. Unfortunately the website is playing up at the moment so I'm having a problem searching these dates, I'll try again soon.

Indeed there's no 5* available in the area you're looking for and to your budget.

In the 4* range we've got:

Amazing deal at Cool Luxury City Centre Hotel - Crowne Plaza London the City £81.25. Not really quite in the area you're looking at, but not too far away. Really good hotel.
    Excellence ideal for Oxford St. shopping - Hilton London Metropole £93.12, again not perfectly inside your area but pretty close to Marble Arch. Not really a top 4* but adequate.
    Amazing Rates-near Buckingham Palace & Theatres - Park Plaza Victoria £98.40. Victoria is very close to Hyde Park Corner. The hotel is absolutely fine.

I am guessing some other 4* will appear over the next week, and these prices look like they have a little scope to come down.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback