PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Fencing off parking on private road?

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The fact that it is a private road seems to me to probobly be irrelevant!

If it was a public (adopted) road, with that set-up, you would have no right to park outside your house. Everyone would have equal rights to park wherever they wanted.

Neighbour disputes are unpleasant, but sadly from time to time they occur, and in this scenario I see little you can do other than try more negotiation, or accept it.

If a parking place was an essential requirement, you should have either bought somewhere with a drive or double-checked the legal set-up in this private road!

Yes, as suggested, the Land Registry is the place to look for confirmation of road ownership, ROW etc, but don't hold your breath. It is VERY unusual for a road to be split up so that each house soley owns the section of road outside. Much more likely to be joint ownership of the whole road, or zero ownership but a ROW.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    When I lived in a house on the edge of a large council estate, we had allocated parking, the residents of the council estate didn't. So of course, there was one nasty man who used the bay in front of our house. I Politely told him that the parking space in front of our house was allocated to and needed by us and he replied in much the same vein.

So every time he parked there I stuck a large notice on his windscreen pointing out that there were other parking spaces and could he please not use this one. He soon started parking elsewhere (not in the neighbour's parking spaces either). Needless to say, I used the stickiest most awkard to get off tape I could find to stick the notice to his windscreen.

I'm sure its not the sort of thing a person should do.., but it worked.
  • J_i_m
    J_i_m Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    It's definitely annoying if you have an allocated bay and then someone else decides to park in it, it's even more annoying if you've just done a 14 hour day at work and all you want to do is go to bed and not search the streets for a alternative parking space.

But non allocated road is simply first come first served, no rights.
    :www: Progress Report :www:
    Offer accepted: £107'000
    Deposit: £23'000
    Mortgage approved for: £84'000
    Exchanged: 2/3/16
    :T ... complete on 9/3/16 ... :T
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    kev225 wrote: »
    I'm going to put some metal posts down with a chain to cordon off the road in front of my house. Only the owner of the road can complain since I won't be blocking right off access down the road. Since evidence of ownership has been lost in time I'm pretty sure no-one will be able to do anything about it.

Perhaps not the most legal/moral course of action but we'll see if it works, if not I'll just have to remove the posts, costing me little.

Well that is one solution. Might work or might lead to a punch up:D

Have you considered asking the other neighbours who back on to the service road what they think. If you could get them to agree a couse of action you might jointly be able to get some legal remedy.
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • evansmummy
    evansmummy Posts: 303 Forumite
    We live on a unadopted road with a similar set up to you. Everyone is generally respectful that the space outside your house is yours to park in even if it is unoffical.

I think maybe trying to talk to her again, with baby on hip and loads of bags at your feet. If you're polite about it instead of demanding it might appeal to her better nature.
    If you start getting angry about it she'll do it all the more.
    Unfortunately, unless you find aomething that says otherwise, you live on a street where it can't be enforced so you have to deal with it. You do have an advantage of having spare spaces opposite which a lot of terraced streets don't.
  • Strapped
    Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    Enjoy your neighbourhood dispute!
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
  • giddypenguin
    giddypenguin Posts: 808 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    kev225 wrote: »
    Moved into our house a couple of months ago, fully knowledgeable that parking was a bit awkward.

So you knew it was a problem before you moved - therefore it must be a problem for everyone else, and yet you still moved in and now your plan is to claim a bit of land for yourself?

Just over a year ago, we sold our old home, 50% of the reason we moved was due to parking. Knowing that everyone was in the same situation on our street, and how it annoyed everyone, if someone had just moved in and did this, there would have been fireworks.

Are you sure that this space is worth the potential stink this is about to kick up? Why should you have anymore right to a space outside your house than anyone else? Just because you can't find evidence of anyone else owning it, does not make this right (even if you will 'get away with it')
  • andy.m_2
    andy.m_2 Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    parking is a VERY contentious issue.
    Almost everybody is under the misapprehension that they are entitiled to park outside their home.
    Sealed pot challange no: 339
  • giddypenguin
    giddypenguin Posts: 808 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Oh, and on my old street, if someone had of done that, I'm pretty sure someone would have parked on it anyway.
  • Strapped
    Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    So you knew it was a problem before you moved - therefore it must be a problem for everyone else, and yet you still moved in and now your plan is to claim a bit of land for yourself?

Just over a year ago, we sold our old home, 50% of the reason we moved was due to parking. Knowing that everyone was in the same situation on our street, and how it annoyed everyone, if someone had just moved in and did this, there would have been fireworks.

Are you sure that this space is worth the potential stink this is about to kick up? Why should you have anymore right to a space outside your house than anyone else? Just because you can't find evidence of anyone else owning it, does not make this right (even if you will 'get away with it')

Also, owning a piece of land sometimes doesn't give you exclusive parking rights anyway, depending on what the original planning for the land says. (As my neighbours have recently discovered the hard way! Shame they wasted their money buying the road off the developer :rotfl:)
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport