Can you clean a urine soaked matress?

Comments

• patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    Biological washing powder dissolved at a high concentration in water and soak the mattres through. Let it work a bit and then lots of towels and walking on it. Board guide this question would do well on OS board.
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Sorry, not very mse, but I'd just ditch it! I can't believe you'll ever get rid of the smell completely and even if you did, I bet you'd still think you could smell it!

Just my opinion of course.
  • Personally I'd ditch it too. Clean mattresses for me are really important. Ever since the cot death links with mattresses and needing a new mattress per child, I am convinced that a clean mattress is the only way to go.
  • apples1
    apples1 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    Thanks for all the suggestions and replies. Its been too wet outside so I've not been able to do the "throw lots of soapy water at it" idea. Its still in a room with window open (smells when I shut the window!).

I cannot absorb any more moisture through from the surface. I'm sure its still wet inside but its a thick high quality (wessley barrell) matress so that may be why.

Today I have sprinkled biacarb of soda on it (as per suggestions on this thread). I'll leave all day and hoover off tonight. If I could afford replacement I would but can really do without spending out. Its not a standard single (slightly narrower) so doubt I can just get cheap new one.

I do however agree with the poster that said... "if it were my daughter I would offer to pay towards replacement." My friend didn't offer to do that or even to cover the cost of cleaning the duvet which I would have done in her position. Can't really ask her though so I may just have to investigate cost of replacing it myself.
    MTC NMP Membership #62 - made it back to size 12 after my children & I'm staying here!
  • Peakma
    Peakma Posts: 728
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    just a thought but could you claim for it on the house isurance ?
  • tonyhamm
    tonyhamm Posts: 221 Forumite
    The treatment with BiCarb should work very well to get rid of any smell.The characteristic pungent smell is mainly from ammonia and urea which are acids.

The Ammonia is NH3 and the alkaline BiCarb is NaHCO3 which basically breaks down into C02 +H20 i.e. Carbon Dioxide and water. (acid + base = salt + water) So a solution of BiCarb to soak in and react with the urine would be the best solution. Then dry off with a towel pressed in to absorb the water and salts remaining and a hotair dryer to dry the dampness out.

The treatment with BiCarb is an excellent treatment.
    Of course Ariel is a soap which is also a powerful base, but is more likely to leave a residue behind.

Kim and aggee really know thier stuff.
    so says another ordinary mug fighting the 1% who own the political machine grinding them down from on high...
    :A
  • apples1
    apples1 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    I think we are going to have to ditch it. It is beyond help I think and i don't really want it in such a state. Biacarb helped but not solved it.

Not thought of house insurance - we do have cover for accidental damage but also a % no claims discount that I assume we'd lose if we made a claim so probably not worth it. I am going to look for a cheap 2 foot 6 matress (that can be delivered). Needs to be quite thick as goes on metal base (so one meant for a divan bed wouldn't work). Standard single won't fit - any suggestions of places to purchase online would be good please but only if you know they do that size. Thanks guys
    MTC NMP Membership #62 - made it back to size 12 after my children & I'm staying here!
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    apples1 wrote:
    Not thought of house insurance - we do have cover for accidental damage but also a % no claims discount that I assume we'd lose if we made a claim so probably not worth it.

Also I assume you would have to pay an excess? So not worth it for a mattress IMO.
  • gravitytolls
    gravitytolls Posts: 13,558 Forumite
    I doubt you can rescue it, if it's soaked. Maybe you have a freecycle scheme in your area. Perhaps you could advertise in the wanted section of this, or the local freeads?
    I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
  • prettypennies
    prettypennies Posts: 1,541
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My friends daughter stayed over and she wet the bed. It was a good quality Milbrook Matress so did not want to chuck it. I used a solution of 4 parts water to 1 part white vinegar. Stand the matress upright whilst sponging it so that the water doesn't seep in too far. Then lay the matress wet side down on lots of kitchen roll. Place soomething heavy on the other side. Then stand upright again against an open window to air or use a hairdryer on a cool setting. When completely dry, sprinkle on a neutradol stlye carpet freshner and vacuum throughly. Sounds faffy but worked at treat.
    Twins, twice the laughs, twice the fun, twice the mess!:j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport