We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream thread continues.....

Comments

• lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Lovely pics, LIR. :beer:
    Watch the borage. It runs totally wild here & takes over. What the seedsman would call a very successful self-seeder. ;)
    We had to have an enormous clear out.

The other thing which does that here is Soapwort (the big, old-fashioned one not the dwarf) but we've confined ours to one hillside. It looks an absolute picture when it's all out in bloom, though.

Borage is great........summer cocktails a plenty! I will nip off some when its finsihed flowering, but i love it, so do the bees. The other thing not there, but everywhere else here is mallow, in a purply pink shade. I wish we had more of the variation one gets in mallows, ours is all the same colour.

Spring is going to be tricky there. I would like snakes heads, but not sure what they will think. Further back behind the elders i would like bluebells.
  • Alexelisey
    Alexelisey Posts: 392 Forumite
    Lucielle, so sorry to hear your news *hugs* Thinking of you.

CTC - yes, there's actually a den in the next-door garden but it's a flat over a shop so no-one cares. We're on a triangle of three roads and frequently see two foxes in the garden, quite often they're "at it" (I throw water at them if they're in our garden but can't reach if they're in next door the other side). I have also been known to charge out there at 11pm with a plastic jug of water which, once empty, I banged a fair few times on our metal shed to make a LOT of noise and scare them away for a while. Even though someone shuts the chicken up in the coop every night, I hate hearing the foxes and wondering if someone's remembered to do the coop door :( We've lost enough from this garden (and the last one) to make me feel sick every time I hear them screeching. There's no point doing anything about it because a new one would just move in. All we can do is protect our bird(s).

Hope everyone's keeping dry, it's raining here again and I'm fed up of it. As Annie said, somewhere in the Caribbean...
    "...And if it don't feel good, what are you doing it for?" - Robbie Williams - 'Candy'
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    annie123 wrote: »
    Starting to think a smallholding in the Caribbean would be just right, papayas, coconuts, bananas, mangos :D

.....hurricanes, biting insects, snakes! No thanks! :p

But it has been depressing. Still, at least it hasn't been blowing a gale from the east or south-east, which is our pet hate. One day it was too breezy from that direction and one of the squashes was blown clean away. :(

I second a note of caution about borage, as it's one of the things we have here which comes up everywhere at alarming speed given a bare piece of earth. The worst is a kind of green manure mustard, which I may have mentioned before and looks like this:

wjuarn.jpg

That stuff gets through its complete life cycle from germination to seed in about a month, but it's relatively easy to pull up, whereas the docks and a few of the other things we have, aren't.
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837
    First Post
    Forumite
    SPLISH BL**DY SPLOSH !!!

WHAT A DAY ............:eek:

i have sploshed around today in a way that would make a mother duck proud ....

LIR...is that the bit by the wall en route to your gate ? it looks gorgeous.. i love it when everything gets to grow "out of military order"...:D
    i am doing well on my selling but have a EU problem, need to know how to allow EU bids ..:( im missing loads of bids judging by the messages im getting..:eek: where are you rhiwi when i need you.. im tempted to divorce you...;) :rotfl::rotfl:

right im off to splosh yet again to bed/feed the animogs
  • Davesnave
    Forumite
    edited 3 July 2012 at 6:01PM
    As we're on pictures, here's the border we've created this year. It sits in front of the beech hedge we planted last year. The idea is that both eventually give us privacy from our immediate neighbours.
    mipg6r.jpg

The border and the hedge have grown rather well since that photo was taken. You can see why we need the cover!

Actually, it's not as bad as it appears, because the kids only spend a tiny fraction of their time in the garden, and an even smaller % of that on the trampoline. They're ideal child neighbours, though if the truth were told, I'd be glad to see them out & about more.

EDIT: Compared with lir's border pictures that one is poo. It was shot just after we planted and everything looks very regimented. I will do another of how it is now, when we have a 'nice' day.....August, then! :rotfl:
  • rhiwfield
    rhiwfield Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    SPLISH BL**DY SPLOSH !!!

WHAT A DAY ............:eek:

i have sploshed around today in a way that would make a mother duck proud ....

LIR...is that the bit by the wall en route to your gate ? it looks gorgeous.. i love it when everything gets to grow "out of military order"...:D
    i am doing well on my selling but have a EU problem, need to know how to allow EU bids ..:( im missing loads of bids judging by the messages im getting..:eek: where are you rhiwi when i need you.. im tempted to divorce you...;) :rotfl::rotfl:

right im off to splosh yet again to bed/feed the animogs

Wet, wet, wet!!! Hey , what a name for a boy band :D

Alf, how can I help?? If its to allow EU bids you need to revise your exclusion list/allow EU posting. You can revise listings even when active to do that. Anyhow, I just wish I had loads of bids, 32 items listed and not a bid between them!!!:eek::eek:

Mind, 18 are bins :D And two did sell last night for a fair amount. (btw Itsme, just listed the Moore glass)

Lir, lovely to see, and not sodden by the rain either.

Lucielle, sorry about your dog.

Davesnave, as we're sheltered from the East wind, we dont mind those winter days when its blowing strong. Unfortunately the west wind is another matter :(

Cant do a thing in the garden atm, so just one more auction tomorrow :rotfl::rotfl:
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Dave...note i never show a full view pic of borders. Yours looks GREAT!
  • Davesnave
    Forumite
    Dave...note i never show a full view pic of borders. Yours looks GREAT!

Thank you.:o Things have grown together now, but it's not really mine, it's DW's handiwork.

She did have quite a lot of stuff to choose from though, most of it having been potted & 'waiting for the right place' since 2007/8! :rotfl:
    That hedge is 82' long, although the border will merge into a copse about half way. We're not at the half way mark yet. There will also be a parallel border the other side of the path, which will go a bit further and merge into a shrubbery.

At the moment our planting is a bit random. For example, there are some rehmannias in that photo, which are simply there because I'd sowed the seed we'd stored since 2006, before it ceased to be viable.

We have lost quite a lot of things along the way, unfortunately. :(
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Davesnave wrote: »
    As we're on pictures, here's the border we've created this year. It sits in front of the beech hedge we planted last year. The idea is that both eventually give us privacy from our immediate neighbours.
    mipg6r.jpg

The border and the hedge have grown rather well since that photo was taken. You can see why we need the cover!

Actually, it's not as bad as it appears, because the kids only spend a tiny fraction of their time in the garden, and an even smaller % of that on the trampoline. They're ideal child neighbours, though if the truth were told, I'd be glad to see them out & about more.

EDIT: Compared with lir's border pictures that one is poo. It was shot just after we planted and everything looks very regimented. I will do another of how it is now, when we have a 'nice' day.....August, then! :rotfl:
    That looks suspiciously like my garden :rotfl:

I think I have more outside toys though and my kids beg to be allowed every waking moment it's not raining, to be outside..... actually they would be outside in the rain if I let them. Sometimes I do when I need a rest LOL.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have a garden rabbit and I don't mean the pet kind....

It moved in a couple of weeks ago and is obviously this years crop. I've been zeroing in the .22 air gun today, but it's so quick and never stays in one place for more than a few seconds.
    Been and bought some more decent pellets, I didn't realise they were still made from lead, I presumed they would have moved on by now.
    I've tried to use the live rat trap to catch it, but no luck so far.

If you release rabbit into the wild miles away from their home, would they survive ok? I think they would, but I thought I'd check first.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure