Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,146
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Thanks - looks like I should sticking to my existing Olive Oil spread, with perhaps some Butter from time to time.
  • quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,428
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    AIUI the type of fat is as important as the quantity.

But that's mostly my point

Coconut oil: are the health benefits a big fat lie?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/jul/09/coconut-oil-debunked-health-benefits-big-fat-lie-superfood-saturated-fats-lard

It's the latest 'superfood', endorsed by wellness bloggers and celebrities, yet it contains MORE saturated fat than lard.

In fact, it’s so oozing with artery-clogging saturated fat that lard is a healthier option.

There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,257
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    A._Badger wrote: »
    I'm the servant of a very imperious old lady (I imagine she was a duchess in a previous incarnation) who is recovering from a major accident and needs special care and treats, hence the chicken.

Thinking about it though, one small chicken goes a very long way and at Aldi's prices I'm not sure it works out a great deal more expensive to feed her chicken than the better class of tinned KittyGlop. I'm sure it's a lot better for her, too. As for the ginger wretch, well... how could I not feed it to him, too?

Growing up, my mother came to the same conclusion and always bought cheap cuts of meat and fish which she cooked for the cats and dogs. They seemed to do well on it, too.

I am seriously tempted to switch from cans. I don't eat (much) processed food, so why should the animals I care for?

I hope your "late" duchess makes a full recovery. I used to have an aunt whose great big beast of a moggy would only eat lights (for those who have never heard of them, they are the lungs of the animals), not very nutritious but he seemed to thrive.

When I was growing up my mother used to line up 6 plates for Sunday lunch, 5 for the family and one for the cat. The cat got a few tasty bits of meat mixed in with veggies. Of course, cats being cats, he picked out the meat and left the veg:rotfl:
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,123
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Gi see no problem feeding a moggy chicken and as said it's cheaper to cook for your animal as I do for my dog than the crap in tins,I saw an advert for cat soup on TV yesterday,think of Peter Kay saying cat ? Soup ?.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    AIUI the type of fat is as important as the quantity.
    Saturated fat is never going to do the arteries any favours. A bit is fine; excessive consumption in the mistaken belief that coconut oil has an additive health benefit is only going to end in vascular disorders.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,849
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 14 July 2017 at 9:08AM
    PLRFD wrote: »
    Gi see no problem feeding a moggy chicken and as said it's cheaper to cook for your animal as I do for my dog than the crap in tins,I saw an advert for cat soup on TV yesterday,think of Peter Kay saying cat ? Soup ?.

The only problem is the (very mild) inconvenience, as opposed to opening a can.

To remain on topic, it's a testament to Aldi's prices, in any event!
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,849
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Saturated fat is never going to do the arteries any favours. A bit is fine; excessive consumption in the mistaken belief that coconut oil has an additive health benefit is only going to end in vascular disorders.

Until the 'experts' change their minds again, as they already seem to be doing, having demonised fats in favour of carbohydrates while diabetes rates and obesity soared.

The recent revelations by Dr James Dinicolantonio (associate editor of the British Medical Journal’s 'Open Heart') saying the 'experts' have been entirely wrong about salt makes me wonder if they really know very much at all.

Butter has been in use since mankind domesticated the cow, about 10,500 years ago. Blended, processed, deodorised 'spreads'? No thank you.
  • I've been trying to save a few quid but whilst maintaining "quality" standards. My newest and biggest disappointment is Aldi specially selected yogurt. Its new and looked perfect for summer lunches with my kids. But what a total waste of money. The glass pot makes it look like the upmarket stuff, but it is thin, tasteless and goes off super quick. I told Aldi, but hey, what do they care.
    AVOID.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Nelson41b wrote: »
    My newest and biggest disappointment is Aldi specially selected yogurt. Its new and looked perfect for summer lunches with my kids. But what a total waste of money. The glass pot makes it look like the upmarket stuff, but it is thin, tasteless and goes off super quick.
    Yet this got rave reviews by another poster! I googled it and it looked like a product distributed in Ireland.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,146
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 14 July 2017 at 12:30PM
    I've found Specially Selected items (and in fact their equivalents in other supermarkets) a bit hit & miss.

The Eton Mess and Peanut Butter Ice Cream cones in Aldi at the moment are a good example - 60% more expensive than the standard cones. Not only are they pretty much the same quality as the standard ones, but both have "issues" - the Eton Mess is not fruity enough and the Peanut Butter one is curiously lacking sweetness (it's almost like savoury ice cream).

If you're looking for good/interesting/creamy yogurts in Aldi, I would recommend the layered Greek-style 4-pack. All the flavours are nice, and the yogurt is thick & creamy. They are also fat-free. 4 x 125g for 99p.

IMG_7895.JPG
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport