Do you tell family & friends about comping?

Only curious as when I started comping, I had friends taking the mickey out of me... and then when I had a big win they suddenly thought comping was the best idea and was asking how to get into it themselves :mad:

People at work know that I enter a few comps but just think I'm really lucky :D

Comments

• I-Owe-You
    I-Owe-You Posts: 497 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    No I don't, perhaps a little selfishly but I don't want the extra competition, which is why I've never understood why people want to openly advertise or blog about their wins!

Unfortunately I've not had the problem yet where I've had to explain to friends why I can suddenly afford a 5 start all inclusive holiday to the Caribbean! :D
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,162 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    I do, because I often use my prizes as presents, and I don't want them thinking I've gone mad and bought a £60 bottle of perfume when they would normally get a chocolate orange! But they think I enter 'a lot' of competitions, like about 10 a week!
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Cathp808
    Cathp808 Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    No I don't tell friends and family I enter comps or when I win anything. In the past people have made fun of me saying I am wasting my time or lucky me having so much spare time ( I have two kids and work full time).

Or I have had the odd friend who is interested but don't want to put the work in and just want me to forward any top comps I find to them.

Though I did notice about a month ago an old school friend was entering a lot of comps on facebook so now we chat about what we have entered and won which is nice.
    "And may the odds be ever in your favor."
    :kisses2: :kisses: :j :beer: :rotfl::T
  • Technoflump
    Technoflump Posts: 248 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Yes, I tell friends and family about my comping. They are interested, especially when they see the things I have won but lose interest when they find out how many comps I enter daily in order to win on a semi-regular basis. They don't have that kind of time on their hands :rotfl:
  • booklover500
    booklover500 Posts: 816 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 June 2016 at 4:17PM
    I tell people as the majority of my wins have been ones that involve judged entries so if my caption, story, photo or review has won I always email my entry and my winner's email to my family!

My colleagues know too and congratulate me when I win which is nice.

I think I share the news that I've won because at almost 40 I have achieved very little in my life - I don't have a degree, I don't own my own home, I don't have kids, (through choice) so I want to feel I have accomplished something even if it is only a few winning competition entries that I have put effort into!!
  • Yatota74
    Yatota74 Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    They do know that I like entering competitions and have the odd win, but I don't think they are aware of how many gazillion competitions I enter �� A friend said to me a few months back I must be so lucky as she never wins anything even though she enters about 7 or 8 competitions a week.....I didn't have the heart to tell her that she probably never will ��
  • mansey
    mansey Posts: 4,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    My hubby and kids have a list of what they want me to win. :eek:

Cos it's that easy :rotfl:
    “I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.” - Billy Joel
    C2W........718/1000......FB...........526/1000
    IG...........667/1000......MD..........652/1000
    2020 January Challenge
    Simply Media 423/1000
    Winning Moments 85/1000
  • fzz33
    fzz33 Posts: 49 Forumite
    mansey wrote: »
    My hubby and kids have a list of what they want me to win. :eek:

Cos it's that easy :rotfl:

same! I think my younger brother suspects I have won his requested PS4 3 or 4 times and just sold them all :rotfl:
  • C0nfused
    C0nfused Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My husband tells me that its all a con and no one ever wins.. I'm just waiting for the day I win something to prove him wrong... lol!
    June 2016 Wins: £64 Argos Voucher :j July 2016 Wins: £25 Cash :j
  • sofieellis
    sofieellis Posts: 688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I tell people that I do a lot of competitions, and get a mixed reaction. Some want to know how I do it, but then decide it's not for them, after seeing how much effort is actually involved. Others are really cynical and warn me that they're all scams etc, while a few people laugh and tell me I'll never win anything worthwhile. They then comment on all my nice new things when they visit my house and I'm pretty sure some of them don't believe me when I say I won them!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure