DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 11

Comments

• Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Wont make a shred of difference, mail to large companies is delivered in bulk, so wont usually be signed for anyway.
    Registered mail is "supposed" to be delivered separately, but usually ends up with the bulk mail (ex PO worker).

I'd agree but I found you do seem to get a faster response with a recorded letter, so give it a couple of extra weeks before you send the follow up complaints.
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • Sazzie23
    Karen777 wrote: »
    ooh I have been off line for a couple of weeks and now there's a whole shiny new thread and loads of new people - hello and welcome to the most useful internet thingy I have ever found! hello to all the regular wise df people and dfw people. Sounds like everyone is doing really well. Proud to be part of this community.

It's always worth trying to get interest stopped - I have recently (after 2 years) got interest stopped on most of my debts - better late than never! Even though it is because my income has gone down it is still very welcome.

Keep trucking on people!

Yeah great news, mine is down at 0% now too, finally I do worry a bit that they might reinstate interest as my payments increase again (hopefully soon but probably in the new year now). Anyone any experience of this?
    lewpster wrote: »
    I've had a letter over the weekend from Barclaycard saying whilst they agree to the payment plan I am following and sticking too, it falls below the minimum requirements. They are giving me til the 4th August to pay the arrears or will issue a default and my account will be passed on to a collection agency.

Guessing I want this to happen and it's not as scary as it sounds?

Please can someone reassure me x
    . Scary sounding but a paper exercise in reality, and they may or may not actually default you
    lewpster wrote: »
    Must be sending them out en mass as i got one too!!

keep your eyes on Noddle to see if they do actually default.

DMP support no438.
  • Sazzie23
    For anyone a fee paid DMP might be worth reading this article

https://www.fca.org.uk/news/fca-warns-clients-of-three-debt-management-firms-to-review-their-debts

If you are affected by this, consider switching to Stepchange, pay pal or even better, going self managed, let us know if you need help

DMP support no438.
  • Morning all.
    Liking the brand new thread.

Been a while.
    PPI journey is just about at an end and am now trying the F&F settlement thread. It's slow but thats to be expected i guess.
    Was looking at a 20 year DMP stretch but after halfway its now looking like a max of 3 years left !!!

Hope you're all well.

If anyone new reading this. It does get easier.
    Don't bottle things up or keep them to yourself.
    Talk to someone. The relief once you have faced up and shared is immense :)
    31st December 2004 - Debt was £128,596.72
    1st October 2016 - Debt Free
    12 years of Stepchange + PPI +F&F
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4862915
  • sexyshark
    sexyshark Posts: 298 Forumite
    I got a default from barclaycard last month and the irony is after 5 more payments it will be gone after paying them on an arrangement for the last 10 years or so:mad::mad::mad:
    Sealed pot member 095 SPC No 7 £578.32
    sealed pot No 8 Target £750 TOTAL £1059.86:j
    sealed pot no 9 Target £1200 TOTAL £1073.38:cool:
    sealed pot no 10 Target £1200 TOTAL £1209
    sealed pot No 11 target £1250 total £TBC
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    sexyshark wrote: »
    I got a default from barclaycard last month and the irony is after 5 more payments it will be gone after paying them on an arrangement for the last 10 years or so:mad::mad::mad:

Complain!!! They should backdate it.
    Puzz.x
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • It’s worth getting in touch. I posted something similar on here last week... Halifax defaulted me over 3 1/2 years into our plan with SC. I wrote to them (via secure message) on Sunday and tonight they’ve called me to say they’ve moved the default date back to 6 months into my DMP and refunded all the interest and charges!!! I could have cried with joy. :j Its halved my outstanding debt with them and means instead of my default being on the account until 2020 it’ll now come off in 2017! :j Now just keeping my fingers crossed for an equally positive reply from Barclaycard after my letter asking for a backdated default rather than AR markers, but I’m not holding my breath.
  • Sazzie23
    It’s worth getting in touch. I posted something similar on here last week... Halifax defaulted me over 3 1/2 years into our plan with SC. I wrote to them (via secure message) on Sunday and tonight they’ve called me to say they’ve moved the default date back to 6 months into my DMP and refunded all the interest and charges!!! I could have cried with joy. :j Its halved my outstanding debt with them and means instead of my default being on the account until 2020 it’ll now come off in 2017! :j Now just keeping my fingers crossed for an equally positive reply from Barclaycard after my letter asking for a backdated default rather than AR markers, but I’m not holding my breath.

Hi Emsie,

Could have cried with joy for you/with you, fantastic news. Presumably it's brought your DFD closer as well.

Fingers crossed for BC to do the same.

DMP support no438.
  • lewpster
    lewpster Posts: 1,665 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am due to get a lump sum of around £40,000 in a few months when my house sells as I am in the process of seperating from my ex.

I am on a DMP paying £175 though Stepchange to 6 creditors with £25k owed :( My current DFD is like July 2027 :( A solicitor says I should be asking my ex for something towards the debts as they were largely incurred buying food, clothes etc as I was too scared to ask him. I would just rather get them sorted myself as can't be going down that road as it's too much hassle.

My question is, would you ask for F&F settlements when the house sells(I will have been in DMP almost a year), up my monthly payments and put the money away or just pay them all off.

I can't afford to buy so not sure what I should do - clean slate or just keep going? xx
  • blisteringblue
    blisteringblue Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi Lewpster, definitely F&F payments. I know some will say you now have the money so pay them off, but your credit rating is already shot, why pay off more than you need to? Don't tell them how much you have though, always word it something like a family member is prepared to lend you a small sum etc ....

Keep as much of your payout to move on. However I do agree with your solicitor you should expect your ex to contribute to the debt payments? Really depends how much hassle this will bring though I guess?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure