help with ontology & epistemology please?

hi guys having an eng lit ba I undertook a Masters in Education but am stumbling in te dark with terms etc.

I've just written a research proposal on Special Needs education but it came back to have stuff added on ontology and epistemology!!

I've read the books but can't get my head round these two terms and what my proposal includes. Any help would be great!

I am doing a library based proposal using books/research/govt policy etc. on Special Needs education so how would these two terms affect me?

in laymen's terms what should I included in the methodology?

thanks guys as I need to hand in soon and tutors keep sending me on-line links which I cannot decided from.

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I assume this is for your dissertation, do you not have an allocated supervisor for it? I would ask for a meeting to discuss what it is that is required. [As an aside, I'd have to say that ontology is one of the more difficult concepts to get your head around, I'm not sure that I ever really managed it even though we had lectures on the subject]
  • The answer as to what goes in your methodology is entirely based on what your methodology is!

Essentially, ontology is what is reality. Epistemology is how we know what reality is.

So, ontology is about describing something, and its relationship to other things, whereas epistemology is how you investigate to reach these conclusions.

Hope that doesn't add to the confusion, and goes some way to answering your question!
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ontology concerns the nature of being or existence.

Epistemology is the study of the theory of knowledge, i.e. how do we derive knowledge from reality.

Descartes' Cogito (cogito, ergo sum; I think, therefore I am) shows how the only thing we can know with certainty is that we exist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogito_ergo_sum
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport