Please help 'How much will cost to install gas central heating?'

Comments

• riverboat2001
    riverboat2001 Posts: 476 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    I would recommend the first thing you do is to confirm how you are going to get a gas supply in.
    My new home had a capped off gas pipe, and it cost me nothing to have it checked, flushed, and a gas meter installed.
    Are you absolutely sure there is no gas supply?
    Was a 40 a day smoker for 20 years.
    Decided to give up, and haven't had a fag for 12 years.
    Halfway through losing six stone.

Looking forward to early retirement.
  • I would recommend the first thing you do is to confirm how you are going to get a gas supply in.
    My new home had a capped off gas pipe, and it cost me nothing to have it checked, flushed, and a gas meter installed.
    Are you absolutely sure there is no gas supply?

Hi - we are hoping to have gas supply into our house - there is an existing pipe so it may just need a meter.

Who did you call? National grid? British gas?

Thanks!
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    edited 16 July 2011 at 8:49AM
    Hi,

You don't need a tank if you have the system sealed.

The kit takes the place of the feed/exp tank. Now you can fit rads wherever you want.

The only accurate advice as to what boiler and cost, is from the installer who walks through your door.

GSR.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • heating-eng
    heating-eng Posts: 723 Forumite
    edited 29 January 2012 at 8:30PM
    alexleeds wrote: »
    Hi,I am also based in Leeds and planning to get central heating fitted in my house, can I get detail of your company/supplier who did the work for you please.

i know lots of gas engineers / plumbers in leeds . just tell me what you want and i will put you in touch.
    X British Gas engineer and X BG sales adviser.
    Please don,t let this put you off.
  • alirob12
    alirob12 Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Great advice guys. thanks very much. got a question - i am in the process of putting central heating in aswell... Got a question though - i have gas to the main house on my property - but i havent got gas to the 2 flats at the end of my garden. does anyone know if it will cost me double to get gas to both flats? (same connection - 1 to the 1st floor flat and 1 downstairs?)

Downstairs flat hasnt got anything done yet but upstairs I have a tank in the loft and hot water tank in the bathroom. Any idea how i could best sort it out (2 separate systems?). Is it beeter to have a combi boiler or something else?

Many thanks!!
  • I've just bought a 3 bedroom ex council house in Cornwall but its got no central heating. How much should I expect to pay for a full system with about 7 radiators fully installed. I just need a rough price before I start getting quotes. Also can anyone recommend someone to carry out the work in the Cornwall area?
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Why is it that people will do anything to avoid getting a quote from an actual installer. They would rather get a dozen figures pulled out of the air by persons who have no idea of the particular circumstances of the job in question. All jobs are going to be affected by different problems, which can only be priced by someone actually going and looking at the job. With the best will in the world any answer given on a forum can only be the very loosest of ball park estimates/guesses.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • 27col wrote: »
    Why is it that people will do anything to avoid getting a quote from an actual installer. They would rather get a dozen figures pulled out of the air by persons who have no idea of the particular circumstances of the job in question. All jobs are going to be affected by different problems, which can only be priced by someone actually going and looking at the job. With the best will in the world any answer given on a forum can only be the very loosest of ball park estimates/guesses.
    An experienced gas engineer can give a good idea of price without looking at a job, as long as the customer tells them all the facts.
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    27col is spot on.

An experienced tradesperson would not rely on information presented by a neophyte but would conduct a site survey and discuss the potential client's requirements before quoting on any job. A consumer should not rely on the 'prices' based on 'site' unseen...nasty surprises and 'unforeseen extras' beckon.

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • 27col is spot on.

An experienced tradesperson would not rely on information presented by a neophyte but would conduct a site survey and discuss the potential client's requirements before quoting on any job. A consumer should not rely on the 'prices' based on 'site' unseen...nasty surprises and 'unforeseen extras' beckon.

Canucklehead
    I do not agree.
    If you ask the custome the correct questions over the phone or over the net you can give a good idea.
    Most of my prices are fixed price and only change if more things are required.
    Example. Worcester Bosch boiler fully fitted for £1299. This is for a combi to combi swop, existing gas needs to be 22mm and it needs to have a room stat.
    I flush every job so this is not extra.
    As long as the questions are asked correctly then the price will be very near.
    It is better to go to the property to give a detailed price.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport