PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Big Badger House (aka Noisy Lodger) HE'S GONE!

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,805
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Chatty lodger sounds good to me :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ClumsyLodger moved out yesterday. She left the room spick and span and gave me a Friends Forever teddy :) I gave her a bottle of Moet to celebrate moving in with her boyfriend but felt a bit awkward because it was actually a bottle left over from my birthday and I was sure she'd notice and think I was being cheap!

In the meantime we've been interviewing a lot of potentials. Here goes..

1. Hot gardener man - still hasn't contacted me so, sadly, may have to give up on him :(

2. ChattyLodger who as you know is moved in now and right at home. He cleared the garden yesterday - lovely job!

3. School janitor who works down the road. He looked around and said "yep, I'll move in straight away - just tell me what to do" but I haven't got back to him. I can't really pinpoint why, but I don't want him to move in. Mostly because his reference is a friend whose sofa he's currently sleeping on, and that same friend is the one who first contacted me. A slight whiff of trying to get rid of him without him really helping himself..?

4. An Italian man who wants a short term rental in October, possibly for the Ryder Cup. I've told him I'll get in touch if it's vacant then.

5. A lady who's starting work with the local police in late September... She has a husband in the army and I don't know why that puts me off a bit! The thought of living with a married couple (when he visits) weirds me out.

6. A young lady studying at the local hospital for a three-month placement. She seems lovely - came round with her mum and seems reliable, but just might have the potential to be prissy.

7. A very young but surprisingly mature man who's being forced to leave his home with his girlfriend due to her disability (she's moving back to parents'). He's musical and up for jamming, and he stayed for a good hour keeping ChattyLodger doing what he does best.

So whaddayathink?
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • 6 or 7

If 6 turns out to be prissy by the time it gets on your nerves she'll be going. Do you want to go through the interviewing and selection process again quite so soon?

Will 7's girlfriend be a frequent visitor and will having another person constantly around be a problem?

Have you asked Chatty Lodger for his opinion?
  • prissylodger or jamminlodger - sounds like both will benefit from BLcare
  • Badger_Lady
    Forumite
    I asked Chatty and his response was, "oh no, don't you put this on me!". He was more concerned with who was the most desperate, rather than who he'd most like to live with.
  • I like the sound of ChattyLodger: he sounds like a decent sort. Mind you, if you paid attention to him you'd be taking SofaSurferJanitorLodger wouldn't you? And I don't think he's right from the way you've described him.
  • oystercatcher
    oystercatcher Posts: 2,326
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Ohhhhh but I want to know more about sofasurfer lodger. Think he's make for an interesting 'blog' heehee.

From best for BL point prissy and jamminglodger sound OK. As said prissy will be gone soon but then you'll be having to interview at Christmas time ......

Doesn't the armyman have a home base they could go to? Dunno how these things work.
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • Badger_Lady
    Forumite
    edited 31 August 2010 at 2:28PM
    Yes, the soldier is only based 2 hours drive away in one of my favourite parts of Wales. The wife plans to visit him there but also invite him back on the odd weekend (presumably the ones where she has to work shifts).

With JamminLodger, I'm not sure whether his girlfriend will be visiting or not. My house is not even slightly accessible to those with mobility problems (old-fashioned staircases everywhere). Of course I don't know the extent of her difficulties but they're clearly bad enough to push her out of their home.
  • scubaangel
    scubaangel Posts: 6,600
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    For me I'd go for armywife, but then I know what its like uprooting and changing jobs because the mistress drags your OH off to somewhere new. ;)

But sofasurfer lodger does sound like more fun for us to read about, if not for you to live with!
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
  • Badger_Lady
    Forumite
    Number 8 is coming round this evening... he's a little older than the others (but pretty close to ChattyLodger's age), currently lives in a shared house but has had to be given notice because the owners' daughter has returned from travelling and needs the room back. It looks like he can move sooner than anyone else.

He sounds like an open, friendly guy with a London / Essex accent. Will have more info tonight!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport