Fabulously Frugal and Free at 50!

Comments

• cazmanian_minx
    cazmanian_minx Posts: 4,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Great list - happy new thread!
  • Hey Caz thank you.

Well its been a gorgeous day here and I've managed to persuade himself to adverturise at home so we've been to a local huge nature reserve forest/beach and actually even been in the sea - managed to get him a 7.5 mile walk and we feasted on coffee and crepes in the sunshine of the forest. All hoomans and mutts now pretty pooped.

Popped into local town on way home which was heaving on a Monday? I dont' know why the open finished yesterday so maybe its a wee bit of that?

Reduced lamb mince, reduced crumpets and some low cost fruit flat peaches, melon and some apples all for under 70p all good.

The rest of the reductions were not as far as I can reduced down far enough - so aside a wee treat for himself (icecream) and some tinned fruit and a wee splash out on ginger beer for me, one or two toiletries ofr me - nothing much to report. £9 spent

Will move that out of the grocery pot and bank into the bank.

Was a lovely day and a great catch up. I've still got the grass to cut but its not going anywhere.

Evening plans of budgets - just going to start on that and sort the fridge/make lunches for the next few days.

Chinks a glass of ginger beer. Hope everyone's day has been good.
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • Well according to the budget tool on here I have an extra £527/month after I've deducted my 'I think this is what I spend' costs.

Clearly that's not happenning - so I'm looking at budget tracking my spends this month and for the next wee while to fathom why I'm still in both OD's and have a fair bit on the cards.

On the positive the extra is enticing if it is indeed extra. I think I'm clearly spending more on frippery than I'd like to admit to. I know I do skoot out and about a lot and def treat dd and myself to more impromptu lunches than I'd care to admit to.

Then there's the charity shop habit.

We'll see off to investigate budget spend tracking tools I know cheery uses YNAB - might start there.

In other exciting news DD has arrived in NZ and is now slumbering. I do like it when all is well after travel.

Steps at 20867 - should get nearer 25k by the time the grass is done. Its true I have no fitbit friends (other trackers are available) my bf tells me to take it off for a day or too or she'll unfriend me.

:( not my fault I'm on my feet all day at work.

Right that grass won't cut itself - I'll do a PAD to a card later and see if I can fathom a quick app for tracking spends, clearly something is amock.
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • Lemon_Tree
    Lemon_Tree Posts: 10,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    i have a similar outcome when I do a SOA Pippi, it says we have £300 left over (after deducting my forthcoming pay cut) and there's no way we're seeing any of it. It's all being spent in the supermarket and on the 'it only cost a couple of quid' things. At least this month we've started slower on the spending which is good.
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Happy New Diary Dahling!:T:T:T:T:T

Your list is fabby - am particularly liking 24, 25, 39 & 49!:D:D:D

Now to scroll back and read the rest of the two pages of posts!;)
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • fannyadams
    fannyadams Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Crikey, I turn my back and blink and she's got a shiny new diary.
    <subscribes and heads off to lurkdom, but not before snaffling a piece of cake out the tin>
    FA
    xx
    just in case you need to know:
    HWTHMBO - He Who Thinks He Must Be Obeyed
    DS#1 - my twenty-year-old son
    DS#2 - my teenaged son
    Barkin Things - my two rescued/retired greyhounds
  • starnac
    starnac Posts: 5,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Hey Pippi. You moved :rotfl:

I'm loving the 50 list. Hope we can feature in there somewhere, maybe 25 or 26 ;) Bit cheeky asking for no26 I know :eek:

You are amazing when you focus. You wear me out just reading about your adventures most days. It seems strange you not having chickens. Bet it doesn't seem the same does it?

DS was very impressed at the video of TRG. He can't wait to show him his skills on the drums now ;)

Anyway, must dash, I have a lot of housework to catch up on. Just wanted to say I've subscribed and look forward to reading
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
    Overpayments £0/£200 not this month as need to put into savings instead
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    I found using my card my money filtered through without being detected.
    I tried ynab (more than once :o) I still can't get my head round it.

Now I draw out in cash every week that weeks budget for what I think I should be spending (Ie groceries/kids school etc) and leave my cards at home. I can't be tempted then :p If I spend online I take it out of the 'cash' for this week and use it towards next week (so draw less out)

Hope this makes sense I think I've made it sound complicated but it isnt :rotfl:
  • Lemon_Tree
    Lemon_Tree Posts: 10,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    HI I find my money fritters regardless of whether its on a card or in cash. We have £80 per month cash each for anything we want to spend it on, and I certainly feel I spend it on stuff I wouldn't have spent it on previously when I was on here.
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Lemon_Tree wrote: »
    HI I find my money fritters regardless of whether its on a card or in cash. We have £80 per month cash each for anything we want to spend it on, and I certainly feel I spend it on stuff I wouldn't have spent it on previously when I was on here.

See with my card I'm terrible for £2 here and there/using contactless. Where as if I have a 'note' I think twice before breaking into it for a packet of sweets the kids are mithering for, or a coffee on the go etc.

I think I find weekly so much easier too. When we did monthly I'd run out of 'spends' before half way through the month :o :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure