Only freedom will do

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Who said that I was trying to move to a job I thought that I'd like? My current thinking is better the devil you know - I'd like to grow some skills for the job that I'm supposed to be doing - computers and stuff. I am not happy, but I don't think that a Gatsbyesqye quest for work fulfillment will resolve that. I want out, retaining a reasonable white collar wage makes that possible.

That and some books on stoicism :D
    Oops, read too much into your original comment!

Known devils and stoicism are good options for savvy people :)
    Pretty sure DD will be slagging off my taste in music in 10 years, not the other way round "you're too old to listen to post hardcore Dad!" :p
    That too :rotfl:
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi Ed,

Have finally read through your thread from the beginning - I've learnt SO much along the way and plan to put it into practice very soon (after more reading in some cases). Thanks for all your clever investment knowledge and thanks to everyone who has asked 'stupid' questions - I can guarantee that I was sitting there thinking 'I don't understand!'.

Your daughter sounds adorable, apart from the not sleeping thing!

Subscribed!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    @ themadvix - thanks for your kind words, still feel like I'm learning every day, it's hard work this being a grownup! :)

Grim daddy daughter day - torrential rains, small floods, DD grumpy and sleepy after getting up at 04:00. Tried to take her swimming, but she just cried and cried when she saw her suit, so gave up and ran errands instead. Paid in a cheque, collected some parcels and felt sorry for myself, so bought a bag of chips.... Only to drive past a friend cycling in the !!!!ing rain! Some people.... :rotfl:

Boys night out with my local siblings tonight, so once Mrs E gets over her bad mood because I encouraged DD to take an afternoon nap, I should be home free ;)

Made a few small P2P loans too.

Right - really should go and start waking up sleeping beauty!
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Taking our first faltering steps into the low interest world. For now, I suspect that I'll do nothing with my S123 account, for the minimal amount of cash that is held in it at present, it just isn't worth the hassle.

Our T5B regular savers mature in a fortnight and DD's cash ISA rate drops at the start of December. The T5B account money will fund our new fence, replacement doors for the house, new carpets, the plasterer for our 2 remaining bedrooms and some of the cost of having our new radiators fitted. That will pretty much be us for 2016, cannot afford to commit to anything else for the moment!

DD's cash ISA will be transferred into a S&S JISA with Ch@rles Stanley Direct and the bulk of her nest egg will remain invested in my name for now.

We have had to resign ourselves to defaults of a few hundred pounds spread across a few P2P sites and are now winding down this particular adventure with the exception of saving Stre@m and M0ney Thing.

Exhausted after a week of daddy daughter time, back at work for a rest ;)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: GO MISS E!!!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::T

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £8/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We have had to resign ourselves to defaults of a few hundred pounds spread across a few P2P sites and are now winding down this particular adventure with the exception of saving Stre@m and M0ney Thing.
    You're gradually pulling out of P2P, Ed?
    No wonder you haven't been posting :rotfl: Hope you enjoyed it too!
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Sounds like all the work on the house is well planned for. :)

Children can be quite a drain on energy. However, I've always found seeing my son grow and develop to be the most fascinating thing, still do though I do wish he could've stayed 4 forever. :) Once school starts, there's less time to spend teaching them things and I really miss him being at home all day.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • edinburgher
    edited 11 October 2016 at 8:38AM
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    You're gradually pulling out of P2P, Ed?
    Save

We're in the midst of a significant flight to yield as central banks cut rates and the high street follows, pushing *savers* (not investors) into areas such as P2P, which don't have the history to accurately model the risks of whether or not they can sustain current rates in the event of another recession. As such, the main 2-3 'vanilla' platforms no longer offer a sufficient risk premium for my tastes. If the choice is a safe 2.5% (rough rate of return on a 5% regular saver) vs. 4.5% without FSCS protection, I'm just not sold.

To that end, I am investing in riskier loans (but secured against assets) and diversifying as much as possible, only taking very small holdings of each loan that meets my criteria.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that P2P has suddenly become any riskier or that it is a bad idea, per se. This decision has been taken on the basis that we only have so much capital to invest and that I need to make careful choices about where it's going. Tax advantaged and tax free accounts for equities and bonds are the 'no brainer' homes for that capital, P2P is very much a nice to have. As a retiree, P2P could still be a great home for a small %age of your money KC :)

Our portfolio (such as it is) looks very different this year from last and next year it will probably be unrecognisable as we focus on taking maximum advantage of salary sacrificed pension contributions.
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Children can be quite a drain on energy. However, I've always found seeing my son grow and develop to be the most fascinating thing

Definitely - we are exhausted! It is funny, however, that we wake up in a good mood to DD crooning (even when it is 5 in the morning)! To be honest, I am not sure that I could do it again. :eek:
  • misscousinitt
    Options
    Hi Ed

Just catching up...been a long time since I've been on your thread.

Glad to hear mainly positive posts and looking sensibly about our low interest future.

Always lots of interesting investment news...wish I had the courage to take the plunge - but replenishing savings is my first priority at the moment.

Hope to keep up now I'm up to date.

Love all the news about your DD - she's coming along nicely by the sound of it (sleep problems aside, but I can imagine that most children go through this at one time or another).

Take care.

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • PrincessLou
    Options
    Definitely - we are exhausted! It is funny, however, that we wake up in a good mood to DD crooning (even when it is 5 in the morning)! To be honest, I am not sure that I could do it again. :eek:

We have three year old twins and we definitely once felt this way! :D However, they are now three and (most of the time) wonderful and we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
    Mortgage - £105,500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport