Cash ISAs: The Best Currently Available List

Comments

• Innys
    Innys Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    Great post Kazza - thanks again.

I rang the Abbey last Friday to request an application form to transfer my B&B e-ISA to them. No response - how long does it take???

My 07/08 money was heading to NS & I but Barclays now looks like the clear favourite...
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I have no Isas but can I say purchase a cash isa say 25.03.07 and then purchase another Isa on the 10.04.07.
  • Kazza242
    Kazza242 Posts: 2,168 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Innys wrote: »
    Great post Kazza - thanks again.

I rang the Abbey last Friday to request an application form to transfer my B&B e-ISA to them. No response - how long does it take???

My 07/08 money was heading to NS & I but Barclays now looks like the clear favourite...

Don't wait for them to send you a form, as the Direct ISA application form and Abbey's 'ISA Transfer form' can be downloaded from Abbey's website, here.

The 'Easy ISA - application and transfer form' link opens the 'Applying for a Direct ISA or Easy ISA form in PDF format which you can print out and complete.

The following link is also useful, as it explains the Abbey transferring in process here.

I agree on Barclays as a first choice for new money. If it is still available from April 6th then I'll open one.
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
  • Kazza242
    MABLE wrote: »
    I have no Isas but can I say purchase a cash isa say 25.03.07 and then purchase another Isa on the 10.04.07.

Yes, as you haven't used any of your ISA allowance this tax year (6th Apr 2006 - 6th Apr 2007). You can open a mini cash isa by April 5th and then open another one with the same provider or with a new provider from April 6th.
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
  • agal
    agal Posts: 282 Forumite
    The Barclays Tax Beater cash ISA does not appear to be available to Northern Ireland residents. The Barclays web-site has the following instruction for new customers;

To apply, complete the online form then print, sign and take it into a branch with the necessary identification.

There are no Barclays branches in Northern Ireland.
  • Kazza242
    agal wrote: »
    The Barclays Tax Beater cash ISA does not appear to be available to Northern Ireland residents. The Barclays web-site has the following instruction for new customers;

To apply, complete the online form then print, sign and take it into a branch with the necessary identification.

There are no Barclays branches in Northern Ireland.

I would check that Barclays allows Northern Ireland residents to open personal accounts with them and whether they allow new customers to open any accounts via the post - posting the ID required.

If they do, check out the Barclays website for accounts that have a low minimum balance and can be opened by post and open one. This will qualify you as an existing customer. You could then apply for the 6.5% ISA by completing the online form and sending it back to the Barclays address stated.
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
  • The Barclays web site seems to quote 6.5% for the Tax Beater ISA but then states (6.31% tax free)? Surely an ISA is tax free?

I think this might relate to the 1% bonus not being tax free? I'm gonna call Barclays to clear that up? Anyone else checked this out?
  • I wonder if those wise people out there might also clear one other thing up for me?

Am I right in saying you can have more than one ISA?

e.g. I have an ISA with YBS, am I correct in thinking I can keep that ISA and open up a new ISA with another bank, e.g. Barclays, for the 2007/2008 tax year? Will I be able to save upto £3000 in each of these ISA's or is the £3000 limit a personal limit per year that may be spread amongst the ISA's you have or limited to one? I assume that the £3000 is the total limit (sum of all).

Any responses greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  • thumshie
    thumshie Posts: 631 Forumite
    I wonder if those wise people out there might also clear one other thing up for me?
    Am I right in saying you can have more than one ISA?
    Yes
    I have an ISA with YBS, am I correct in thinking I can keep that ISA and open up a new ISA with another bank, e.g. Barclays, for the 2007/2008 tax year?
    Yes
    Will I be able to save upto £3000 in each of these ISA's
    No(If you mean can i deposit 3k in YBS and 3K in Barclays in the same financial year)
    or is the £3000 limit a personal limit per year that may be spread amongst the ISA's you have or limited to one?
    Thanks
    limited to one. You can only pay in(subscribe) to one isa a year..
  • thumshie wrote: »
    I wonder if those wise people out there might also clear one other thing up for me?

Yes

Yes

No(If you mean can i deposit 3k in YBS and 3K in Barclays in the same financial year)

limited to one. You can only pay in(subscribe) to one isa a year..

Thanks, I thought that was the case but just wanted to check. Looks like I'll keep the YBS and open up a Barclays after 5th April.

Out of interest have any existing A&L customers out there managed to argue their way to getting the top ISA? I know they say it's only available to new customers but just wondering if a threat of cancelling account might make them sit up and listen?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback