MSE News: After a John Lewis loyalty card? Free tea & cake is no longer guaranteed

Comments

• prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've never got around to going to JL for the coffee & cake.

I've had a coffee from Waitrose a few times though.
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    MaryEllen wrote: »
    Yes, I signed up just for the freebie. Three times I've cycled 20 miles into Liverpool to enjoy the treat, then ridden home again. It was nice while it lasted. Thanks for the tip-off.

hope you enjoyed a cake with a lot of calories!!
  • No loyalty points but if you also use the John Lewis Partnership (credit) card, you receive vouchers in relation to the amount you spend. The following is one of the FAQs on the JL website:

What's the difference between the my John Lewis card, myWaitrose card and the partnership card?

my John Lewis is a membership card to be used solely in John Lewis shops, Peter Jones or johnlewis.com; it helps us understand what you like, so we can give you the rewards that are just right for you. It's not a payment card, nor does it earn points when you use it. The myWaitrose card works in similar fashion, but you can only use it Waitrose shops and at Waitrose.com

The partnership card is a credit card that earns you points towards John Lewis and Waitrose vouchers everywhere you shop (at any MasterCard outlet worldwide). Representative 16.9% APR variable.

It doesn't offer access to the same rewards and benefits attached to the my John Lewis card, but you can certainly use both in order to gain access to the fullest range of benefits and rewards.

Thanks for this!

I've got the vouchers and use them if I'm in town. I know for many it's my pain they've stopped doing them. It then again it's up to JL if they continue to do this,

What would be interesting (and probably hard to tell) is if there was a spike in sales with the introduction of the free cake and hot drink voucher? Even if they picked random stores and random days to see how many vouchers we pre used and if there was an increase on sales from a period when they didn't issue vouchers? Is it the case that many people when using the vouchers (like me by the way!) do shop in JL but bypass the store on this occasion and go right to the cafe?!
    Albert Einstein “Imagination is more important than knowledge”
  • MaryEllen wrote: »
    Yes, I signed up just for the freebie. Three times I've cycled 20 miles into Liverpool to enjoy the treat, then ridden home again. It was nice while it lasted. Thanks for the tip-off.

20 miles!! (or is it 40??!). superfit, a True Northerner, awesome.
  • I have had a partnership credit card for years. We put all our spends on it, but always pay it all off every month.

I get about £300 in vouchers a year. Its very handy for christmas
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    My vouchers arrived today.

First one valid mid Sept to beg November, 2nd from mid November to late December but can be used for coffee+cake or a JL tote bag, 3rd from early Jan to February.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Since the local place that does the brew & cake is a bit further than I'm ready to go for one, I will be taking up their offer of a 'limited edition tote bag'.

Another Christmas Present wrapping sorted. (I'm dreadful at wrapping things, so I go for nice bags in a big way!)
  • lowrig
    lowrig Posts: 39 Forumite
    silvercar wrote: »
    My vouchers arrived today.

First one valid mid Sept to beg November, 2nd from mid November to late December but can be used for coffee+cake or a JL tote bag, 3rd from early Jan to February.

Lucky you, no new vouchers for me as yet but I don't spend much money in JL!
  • I have spent quite a bit in John Lewis over the last year and recently received one coffee and cake/tote bag voucher for Nov-Dec. Hubby, who also has a card, has bought 2 greetings cards in a year and received the same voucher plus another coffee and cake one for January.

Frankly, I'm feeling a bit miffed. It appears that they send more freebies the less you spend! I had assumed it might be the other way round...
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    dinosaur7 wrote: »
    I have spent quite a bit in John Lewis over the last year and recently received one coffee and cake/tote bag voucher for Nov-Dec. Hubby, who also has a card, has bought 2 greetings cards in a year and received the same voucher plus another coffee and cake one for January.

Frankly, I'm feeling a bit miffed. It appears that they send more freebies the less you spend! I had assumed it might be the other way round...

Same experience here - they seem to be working on the basis that if you spend money with them already there's no need to tempt you into their stores with free cake.

I think PR-wise this offer is already starting to backfire on the usually very consumer-conscious John Lewis.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure