We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

building a grass bank in the garden

theGrinch
theGrinch Posts: 3,122 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
I am planning on building a grass bank/raised seating area in the garden. It will will be 2.5m x 1.3m x 80 cms (h).

I have 6.5 cubic metres of clay soil, hardcore and top soil (will save me about 5 skips)

I was thinking of using railway sleepers as a frame for assembly while the materials settle.

Any tips on the best way to construct a solid grass bank, materials and order?
"enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    You may find problems [and some scaremongering] regarding railway sleepers

This centres around the tar / creasote used in their previous life

Personally unless the sleepers will be in contact with humans & clothing I would ignore the scare stories you will hear
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • susieb
    susieb Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    HI
    If you are going to do it as a slope then some turf straight on top should hold it ok, thats all the enviroment agency do with the flood defence banks, maybe do it as a mound and then once it all settles cut the seating area out.
    Always on the hunt for a bargain
  • theGrinch
    i was thinking of a cubiod/rectangle with straight lines. had thought about cutting a seating area out vs standard seating.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I can't see how you will get it to keep a cuboid shape once you remove the sleepers. Will you grow grass on the sides and how will it establish? The natural tendency of loose materials, rather than built forms, is to weather & slump over time. People who build cuboids from loose stuff usually do this inside galvanised wire cages called gabions:

http://www.enviromeshgabions.com/gabion-39

Sorry to sound so negative. Perhaps I'm not 'getting' this properly
  • theGrinch
    i think I will give it a try and hopefully the grass will hold it together in time.

i think it will look good and save a small fortune on skips!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    i think it will look good and save a small fortune on skips!

Having just spent last week filling skips, I can understand that. Seven of them cost my brother in law £1k. I seem to remember paying about £60 per 6m3 skip....probably 15 years ago now!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure