Sky subscription "credit crunch" offer

Options

Comments

• jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My son is 24, and has just moved back in with us. We have the full package, including HD subscription and we pay about £55 a month. My son was wanting to get an HD box of his own - would cost £150 plus £60 install, and then £10 a month for multiroom and £10 a month for HD - we'd be over £75 a month!! I asked the lady on the phone from Sky (after being on hold for 25 minutes!!) if there was no offers on, and she asked me what i'd seen. I've only seen what Sky offered me - but it sounded like if i'd seen an offer they'd match it. But I hadn't seen any so that's all I was getting offered.

Didn't take it btw. I need to get my husband to phone and cancel the sports channels as Sky won't let me do it. They let me upgrade the package though! Just can't get hubby to phone though. He only ordered it to watch Scotland play Italy last year or earlier this year. That was a dear football match. :rolleyes:
  • sammysawdust
    Options
    I cancelled my sky as it wasn't value for money. Got loads of calls to resubscribe but refused. Then got an offer for sky+ and 2 mixes for £18. I only want the sky+ box and it would cost me the same to get a freeview+ box so I took the offer.
    I will cancel in 12 months and use it as freesat+. (yes, you can do this).

Sky's platform is better, more reliable and easier to use than Freeview.
  • wolvesinwales
    Options
    I have not had an offer for a while but in the past after threatening to cancel had a few half price offers and a free Sky+ box.
    IN response to the person with a faulty box , i have had that too and point blank refused to pay for a repair just so that i can keep paying Sky monthly ! i was given a replacement box foc. As long as your contract is past the minimum period you really are in a strong position to stand firm. They seem to have a well rehearsed script to work to pointing out that you own the box etc but the simple answer to all their spoutings is ' ok i will cancel'
    WHOOOOSHHHHHHHHH……..
    Blimey what was that ?
    That was your life mate
    Oh I wasn’t quite ready can I have another go ?
    Sorry mate only one per person.
  • hutch610
    Options
    I have sky+, all basic channels, sports and movies. Broadband max, sky talk and phone line rental = £67month plus phone call on top which are no more thn £3 month. Try and make calls at night.

This compared with what i was paying when had bt line rental and broadband has saved me £11 month.

Prob could get cheaper but happy at moment also had box changed twice earlier this year in 3 weeks but do have repair plan so didnt have to pay anything when they came out.

Cant fault broadband no problems compared to bt kept cutting off.

Tv is £47, BB £10 and line rental £10.

Do think they should look after exisiting customers with offers that new cstomer can get without us threatening to leave.
    :female:
  • seatzie
    seatzie Posts: 761 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    pretty annoyed, been a customer for 10 years rarely had an offer, managed to get 2nd box half price and 6 mix for £27, which probably isn't great but is slightly cheaper than I was paying
    Norn Iron Club Member #64

Wikkity Wikkity Wikkity Lets go racing!
  • woozywendy
    Options
    I cancelled my sky as it wasn't value for money. Got loads of calls to resubscribe but refused. Then got an offer for sky+ and 2 mixes for £18. I only want the sky+ box and it would cost me the same to get a freeview+ box so I took the offer.
    I will cancel in 12 months and use it as freesat+. (yes, you can do this).

Sky's platform is better, more reliable and easier to use than Freeview.

My brother-in-law cancelled his sky subcription and they have told him they will be charging him £10 a month for the sky+ box. He told them he had no sky channels but their answer was he watched channels through the sky+ box :confused:
  • lizziebell*80
    Options
    We are all numb skulls! We pay SLY to watch subscription telly and get adverts rammed (I do mean RAMMED!) down our throats... licence fee is supposed to fund the 'no advert' BBC, were as ITV raise money through adverts, SKY do both...
    Everyone please cancel, you know it's better in the long run!, only got sly for the Broadband (Max @ a tenner, capped to 4mb), but that's cheaper now (o2?).

Not to mention the bombay brian that cannot do anything basic (like understanding my yorkshire accent ;), apart from increase your package!

However we still have to put up with the BBC advertising themselves between programmes which to me is just the same thing so what difference would it make to have actual adverts? TV license is sooo expensive. Again though sky+ means that you don't have to watch them mostly anyway.

We have everything from Sky+ (basic 4 mix), TV, phone (inc line rental) and broadband which comes to £29 per month before any call charges and have inclusive calls all day this year as threatened to leave in May (also go the sky+ then for £50 installed). And now if you are on Skytalk you can phone them for free on the 0870 number from your phone (this was as of July this year)
  • david100
    Options
    Sky almost constantly have a deal on their site where existing Sky members can introduce a friend and both get free Sky+ boxes. My parents have just introduced my sister, she got a free Sky+ box installed on the basic package, with broadband and Talk, all for £17 a month plus a £30 (I think) installation fee). My parents are now waiting for a letter giving them a number to ring to get theirs installed as they only had a basic Sky box. If you already have a Sky+ box you can opt for a £50 M&S voicher instead. I'm moving into a new place in a few weeks so my sister will introduce me, I'll get a free Sky+ box and she'll get a voucher.
  • kim220
    Options
    Hi - Just called Sky, and for the next 3 months I will be paying £25 amonth instead of £38 for the same channels.
    Thanks for the tip
  • denis_martindale
    Options
    I have had a Sky + box for 12 months so I recently phoned Sky to get SOMETHING from them besides newsletters with price increases. I got a free Sky + box installation and the box for £49. The installer replaced the quad LNB unit for free.

Today I phoned Sky on 01506 831006 and I got 3 months at half price on Sky Movies so my 4 channel mix and Sky Movies charge is £27.

I don't use Sky Talk or Sky Broadband as I'm not connected to BT. I'm with Virgin Media's phone deal plus the loan of the Samsung set top box to get all their FREE channels. I got a free upgrade from 1 MB to 2 MB Broadband but heard the 4 MB speed was getting a free upgrade to 10 MB. I'm paying £18 a month for phone, free TV channels and 10 MB Broadband. Plus whatever phone calls I make...

That's a minimum of £45 a month for the next 3 months till I cancel the half price Sky Movies packages. All the Sky boxes will belong to me.

I kept a previous Sky minibox set top box which some say go for sale on Ebay at about £100. I got the second Sky + box as I didn't want to pay for any Sky warranty year by year and if one Sky + box goes wrong, then I'll have a spare at home in case, with the working Sky cards.

I didn't get any extra discount from Sky by offering to pay a year's subscription in advance as I'm already paying by Direct Debit.

When I've tried encouraging others to get Sky Digital, they've not exactly been as keen as mustard to pay about £200 and more a year in subscriptions on top of the Colour TV licence fee. So good luck to those who can recommend a friend and get Sky + boxes. When I paid £49 and got the new quad LNB unit fitted free, I thought I'd done quite well overall.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure