The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Getting Mould Off Net Curtains?

Hi

Can anyone give me any tips on how to get black mould off my nets? I have tried the products in supermarkets like the net whitener, but it doesnt do a great job.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Sue

Comments

• comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    If the curtains are a natural fabric, you can try bleach or hydrogen peroxide, if nylon you cant. You could also try rubbing with wet soap and leave it in the sun (normal stuff you wash your hands with, and if you can find some sun!!!), then washing off.
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    Not very Old style...

I bought some dettol mould and mildew remover. It a spray container and it is green - in most supermarkets.

http://www.avenuesupplies.co.uk/index.php?id=239&pid=3313&sid=1

I then put the net in the sink and sprayed on the mildew remover only on the areas that had mould on. Left it over night (doesn't need overnight but just bunged it in the sink overnight). Then just removed it from the sink and put it in the machine with some whitener in the morning.

Has sorted the problem out on many occasions.
  • lushkat
    lushkat Posts: 117 Forumite
    If you wash them in the machine but add washing soda to the washing powder and vinegar instead of fabric conditioner and you will find that it will disappear like magic.
  • mikeassured
    mikeassured Posts: 311 Forumite
    Thanks for all those tips, they look very useful.

Sue
  • peter999
    peter999 Posts: 7,097
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    lushkat wrote: »
    If you wash them in the machine but add washing soda to the washing powder and vinegar instead of fabric conditioner and you will find that it will disappear like magic.
    Do you use a Cold/Warm/Hot temperature to wash white net curtains ??

I was thinking of using a hot 60deg temperature, but now not shure if I should use cold wash.

I want to wash now, so need answer soon !!
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,616
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I would wash them on a delicate wash otherwise you may find you have a new problem in that they have shrunk!

Hope it works out well.

Also did you find out why they got mould in the first place- were they in a damp place?

Good luck

Jan
  • borax is a natural mould killer, you need to get rid of all the pores to prevent it regrowing so treat windows as well
    simplicity is key

• lushkat wrote: »

Doing the same with my nets now! Would it need to be white vinegar? or any? many thanks!
    I'm getting older, and lifes getting harder!:mad:
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Soak in a strong soultion of nappy sterilizer (Milton type stuff).
  • Hi how can i get black marks off of my net curtains please? i think they are caused by condensation:mad:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback