Eating in Edinburgh

Need ideas where to go for 18th birthday meal with daughter in Edinburgh. We eat all sorts of different foods, only barrier is a steakhouse/fish restaurant as I am a vegetarian, and they tend not to do too much in the veggie line. Nothing too posh, as silver service makes her nervous, but we love Italian, Indian, Mexican, practically anything really. Any ideas for us for central Edinburgh? Our hotel is just off Royal Mile, so old Town places would be good too.
Any ideas please, as last thing I want to do after shopping is trail about looking for somewhere to eat!!!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• sheep69
    sheep69 Posts: 49 Forumite
    The Witchery is about as posh as you want and just along the road - never been but has very good reviews.

Filling Station is also near which is very good and serves variour types of cuisine.

For the Veggie - try the tattie shop round the corner on C~ckburn street - I suspect my two recomendations cater for the not to choosy Vegetarian.

Loads of places to eat around there - Acanthus at the station, Malt shovel also on C~ckburn (good pub grub), various hotels, Frakensteins up on the Bridge above the Grassmarket, the Grassmarket has loads as well.

enjoy
    My Heart is in the Highlands......
  • Cat72
    Cat72 Posts: 2,398 Forumite
    Hi. Im a vegetarian as well and it is always a problem eating out.Dont know places in edinburgh too well but the witchery does look nice but never ventured in yet. However Frankestiens has a really good veggie menu and a screaming toilet !
  • Bar Roma,in Charlotte lane in very "Italian"if you know what I mean!
    don`t know if they do Veggie.
    A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    El sabio muda el consejo, el necio no.
  • Kalpna [Vg, multi-regional Indian]
    2/3 St.Patrick's Square, Edinburgh, EH8 9EZ
    Tel: (0131) 667 9890

Been there occasionally for past 20 years. Always enjoyable.

(Also recommend Ravi Shankar in Drummond Street, London, just west of Euston Stn. Three courses plus coffee for under £10, last September!)
  • If you're vegetarian and in Edinburgh then there's only one option - Bann's Vegetarian Restaurant in St Mary's Street (just off the Royal Mile). Enjoy.
  • Thank you all the suggestions..loads of choices there, and they all sound good. Wonder how many I can fit into a couple of days?!!! Have been to Bar Roma many years ago, and had forgotten about that. The Witchery looks really good, but think will save that for a romantic weekend. Frankensteins sounds different, and might appeal to the goth side of my daughter! Banns sounds good to me, but daughter might want some meat, will run it by her - am sure that must be near Fiscal's bar, where we have had bar lunches. Oooh they all sound good! Have been at Filling Station in Glasgow (just off Sauchiehall St.) and that was very good, didn't realize one in Edinburgh too.
    Thank you all very much for your replies, much appreciated. Will let you know how we get on in a couple of weeks.
    At least I have some suggestions now, can run it by her, and hopefully get booked in advance.
    Keep suggestions rolling though, as am sure other folk will want to know good places to eat out when in Edinburgh.
  • Lil_2
    Lil_2 Posts: 53 Forumite
    Really nice place is Centrotre at 103 George Street. Italian. Only eaten at lunch time but it was really good with a nice atmosphere.
  • If you would like to save some money (and as a subscriber to this site I presume you do!) one option is to look at https://www.5pm.co.uk. Although the best deals are to be had on the day some of the advance offers can be really good too.

You could also apply for https://www.thesilvercard.co.uk (if you are in Edinburgh regularly - I presume everyone who lives here already has it?!).It gives really good discount in some great places to eat, e.g. Conran's Zinc Bar and Grill in Ocean Terminal - 20% off entire bill, Harvey Nick's Forth Floor brasserie £15 for 3 courses including a glass of wine, Frankenstein 20% off - 7 days!, North Bridge brasserie -2 course Dinner with a glass of bubbly for £15.00 per person valid 7 days, inclusive of Friday and Saturday before 7pm, the new Gallery rest.- 2 course lunch and a glass of house wine for only £11.95!!Or 3 course dinner and Glass Champagne for only £16.95 etc. etc. You pay £3 for the card and you'll save that the first time you use it.

Hope whatever you do your daughter has a fab 18th birthday and that you enjoy your stay in 'Auld Reekie' !
  • ...I presume everyone who lives here already has it?!

Nope, never heard of either of those before. Thanks - maybe I'll be able to afford to eat out occasionally now!

As for restaurants, I've heard that Black Bo's on Blackfriars St (off Royal Mile) is good for vegetarians, and it looks. Not been myself, though, so can't vouch for quality or meatiness.

Oh, and if you don't mind a little walk to the New Town, there's Urban Angel at 121 Hanover Street. They use organic and fair trade food (and drink!) in a relaxed atmosphere - it's not too posh and not too pricey, but smart enough to make it feel like a night out. My veggy friend and non-veggy me both ate happily there a couple of months ago. I can't find their website but there's a Sunday Herald Review here.

And if either of you are of a chocoholic persuasion, Plaisir du Chocolat on the Royal Mile (just down from New Street) is a good place to shelter from the rain for an hour.

Hope you have a great weekend - let us know where you end up (and whether it's any good!) :)

TF
  • Cat72
    Cat72 Posts: 2,398 Forumite
    Hi
    thats brilliant only wish thay did something the same for Glasgow! Great tip though
    Heres the link for frankestiens with the veggie menu- makes me hungry just reading it !
    http://www.frankenstein-pub.co.uk/ed_eating.htm
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport