Need Help From Anyone Who Lives In Glasgow Tenements!

Comments

• snax
    snax Posts: 275 Forumite
    stobieside wrote: »
    I posted a question a couple of days ago about self-factoring but I've managed to find the answer myself. In case it's of use to anyone else out there who might be considering getting rid of their factor and doing it themselves, there is a useful bookelt called Common Repair, Common Sense available free from Communities Scotland. Their phone number is 0131 313 0044. Good luck!

http://www.scotconsumer.org.uk/publications/book_guid/documents/hmcs_006465.pdf

hope it helps,
    Learn to laugh at yourself ... everyone else has:rotfl:
    Regards
    S.
  • guss_2
    guss_2 Posts: 22 Forumite
    i live in a block of 8 tennement flats. All privately owned.The buildings insurance is done via a factor which is £170 pa. (total cover £1.5m) We each arrange our own contents i paid £30 pa this year after a generous special offer with post office insurance.It has worked well and not too expensive. Dealing with maintainance bills via the factors for trades well thats a different story!
  • Sol00
    Sol00 Posts: 1,230 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I used to live in the Kingston Quay building in Tradeston and I'm sure it was Hacking and Patterson who were the factors.

They were rubbish! The place was a state and they had no control over the building at all! Mind you, I think the design of that building is the main cause as it is one massive building with no partition between blocks, so people can run riot in there.
  • MiniLaura
    MiniLaura Posts: 482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    anyone have an email contact address for hacking and patterson?

Really really so not impressed with them!
    :j Debt-Free-Wannabe! :j
    Declutter/Ebay/Savings
  • roger_c
    roger_c Posts: 320 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Speirs Gumley are no better than Hacking Patterson and I hear Redpath Bruce are also terrible! Can't say I've ever heard of a good factor...
  • Armbase
    Armbase Posts: 65 Forumite
    stobieside wrote: »
    I too live in a Glasgow tenement and we are seriously considering ditching our factor and doing the work ourselves. Are there printed guidelines that we can get hold of to make sure we cover everything? Thanks!

OKay I'm a total nerd......
    Nip down to Borders and get yourself "The tennament Handbook" written by some glasgow chartered surveyors and Uni staff. The best tenner you'll ever spend.

Type H & P into google. I dont want them to sue me but ther was a BBC documentary that "kind of ahem looked into them".

ONE VERY VERY important thing to rememeber is that a factor is only YOUR agent. You are responsible for the upkeep and pay them for assisting you.

Sometimes they forget that.

I'm not against them. I was in a tenement where a couple of absentee landlords refused to pay a factor. I ended up doing it all myself adn having to collect the money from them. A pain in the *ss. Sorry :money:

One scam that factors do is have a rebate system with the workmen. How it works is this. They call out the one tradesman to do all the electrical repairs but the electrician gives a discount of say 30%. Okay so far??? Well not.... This discount is for an annual/monthly bill for all properties. Not a discount for only one property. That way they are not legally entitled to pass the discount onto you. Because it is not for ONLY your work, but for the total work carried out on all properties.

Communal buildings insurace can be beneficial if you go to a large housing association. Partick Housing Assoc has a good reputation.

Also remember that becaus ea factor is YOUR agent. You dont have to put all jobs through them. You can be "semi-factored". What I mean by this is you the factor a nominal annual fee. You perhaps get them to have the close swept and have the grass cut. This is how we opperate in our new close. It is excellent. the place is very neat and tidy.

All major repairs are discussed amongst us and we arrange for competitive quotes for major works. eg close painting.

That way you have smaller bills and also have a factor to step in if there is a dispute where one neighbour refuses to agree to work being done.

Remember it is YOUR resoonsibility to repair the comunal places. If a bannister is broken and a child falls and hurts themself. You are responsible, not your factor.

All the best
    Bob
  • Armbase
    electrocat wrote: »
    Hi Michelle,

Yes, I checked the figures last night - it cost £104 basic plus the £52 to avoid the excess (per year). The Insurer is Norwich Union and worryingly the sum insured is 'a minimum of £80,000' to rebuild (I have no idea whether this is a breakdown per flat or for the whole building - I would hope per flat).

Hope this helps,

Michelle

Carefull Micelle.

Make sure that the rebuild is for the "current rebuild value".

OUrs was 100k in the last flat but we upped it every couple of years. Our new one is 250K and 40k goods from Churchill. They are quite good.:D

cheers
    bob
  • Armbase
    mleonard79 wrote: »
    Hi Edinburgh Lass,

I wish I'd know there was a programme about factors on - I would have been most interested to see that. What was said? Thanks.

Regards

Michelle

Have a look here
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7174631.stm

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?sortBy=2&forumID=4030&edition=1&ttl=20080815165722&#paginator
  • nodwah
    nodwah Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    When we lived in a tenement a few years back, there was no factor and it was a nightmare, nobody would agree to any repairs or inprovements. the scum lowlife that lived upstairs smashed the security entrance as he'd lost his keys and wouldn't cough up for it and it never got fixed basically. We were supposed to take turns paying the bill for the close lights and nobody would do it except us (it was only about a pound a quarter!!). I could go on but I wished we'd had a factor at the time!
    Just call me Nodwah the thread killer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport