Ford Focus Engine Light

124»

Comments

• hamario wrote: »

I bought my 03 1.6 Zetec Focus last week, it has 49000 on the clock but the odometer only shows 9000. Nothing wrong with the odometer though from what I can see.

My engine warning light came on yesterday, so I called up Ford near my work in Speke and they said it'd cost me £66 just to have the diagnosis machine hooked up to my car, and they'd need half a day.

Thinking of investing in a device of my own after hearing those charges

Join a yahoo group. A Ford one first then if you can get a decent Focus one, that too.
    Pre 2000 vauxhalls only need a paperclip to diagnose faults. Every car has it's quirks, you might not need a fault code reader at all ( I bought one for a rover 800 once, it could tell you what was wrong without it).
    The yahoo forums will also have helpful tips and advice on component testing.
  • Cramo13
    Cramo13 Posts: 12 Forumite
    i agree why do you pay 1.25 per litre for fuel and dont do owt about it, but moan when us time trained mechanics charge you less than the dealer!and definitely less than !other trade professionals,we spend all our lifes buying expensive tools to repair your car!but everyone wans it for nowt!try saying it when your in asda doing you shopping!guessnot!!!
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    cramo13 wrote: »
    i agree why do you pay 1.25 per litre for fuel and dont do owt about it, but moan when us time trained mechanics charge you less than the dealer!and definitely less than !other trade professionals,we spend all our lifes buying expensive tools to repair your car!but everyone wans it for nowt!try saying it when your in asda doing you shopping!guessnot!!!
    Bumping an old (2009) thread for any reason, Cramo?
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • i really hate this when people think £50 for a time served mechanic using expensive equiptment to diagnose faults is charging through the nose.

what does your company charge for your services for an hour?

if you got a joiner or plumber in to do some work in your house i would bet you would be paying more than £50 per hour.

why do people hate to pay for thier cars to be fixed but dont mind being ripped off by an electrician or the likes?

Because any fool can plug in a box and press TEST
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    Because any fool can plug in a box and press TEST

but can any fool remedy the fault the box finds?

if so then buy yourself a box and become "any fool".

any fool can join 2 pipes together,any fool can sand a door or fit a kitchen,any fool can wire up a light. but people still employ plumbers,joiners and electricians and don't question thier prices which are usually hourly rates similar to a mechanic. but the joiners and plumbers don't need to invest thousands of pounds in diagnostic equipment with all the regular (costly) software updates and thier tool box is much less comprehensive than a mechanics.

i have a tool chest and a roll cabinet and 2 smaller boxes full of tools totalling about £3000 (and diagnostic equiptment worth around £2000,supplied by company)
    my mate is a self employed plumber/heating engineer and he only has 2 small tool boxes with fairly cheap tools,probably totalling £200 tops and no diagnostic equiptment other than a tin of leak detector spray and a multi meter.
    ...work permit granted!
  • gardnose wrote: »
    Just found this top tip on another forum.
    There's an inbuilt 'dashboard diagnostics self test' system, which displays error codes (at least it does on my Ford Focus 1.6, X reg).

- Hold down the 'trip/distance' reset button on the dashboard, and then switch the ignition on.
    - The needles/dials on the dashboard will spin once, and then the trip distance display will say '6a6e'.
    - Keep pressing the reset button, and some tests on the dashboard will display, eg all the bulbs will light up, and the petrol gauge needle will spin.
    - Eventually, the display will read DTC and some codes (if your engine light is on). Mine read DTC, then d123 and d041. These meant that the engine wasn't receiving any speed or odometer variables/information.

That would have cost at least £50 for an engine diagnostics test at my local charge-through-the-nose garage, before doing any work at all!

I tried this out as my engine warning light is staying on and got code after code but never got anything which said DTC. Does anyone know what this means? If it helps (and I have no idea if does) the codes were as follows:

The test starts with 9a9E, then.... led5, r31, e001, FFFF, none, 00E.o, 0000, 012.t, F215, L240, 49F.F, 039C, 076.C, 000.0, CHE.2, 610.9, Ab-l, Eb-l, Il-l, 0800, 0500, Cr-H, 0-02, 1-1C, 2-00, 3-90, 4-??, 5-00, 6-00, 8-??, 9-??, 0154, 1129, 2171, 3000, 4255, P117, P2FF, P3FF, P4FF.

Then back to 9a9E which I assume means test over!

Only 2 weeks ago my car was misfiring so I had new plugs fitted etc, and it passed the MOT last week no problem.

Can anyone help?
  • woowoley
    woowoley Posts: 10 Forumite
    Does it come with software?
  • jonnywoods wrote: »
    I tried this out as my engine warning light is staying on and got code after code but never got anything which said DTC. Does anyone know what this means? If it helps (and I have no idea if does) the codes were as follows:

The test starts with 9a9E, then.... led5, r31, e001, FFFF, none, 00E.o, 0000, 012.t, F215, L240, 49F.F, 039C, 076.C, 000.0, CHE.2, 610.9, Ab-l, Eb-l, Il-l, 0800, 0500, Cr-H, 0-02, 1-1C, 2-00, 3-90, 4-??, 5-00, 6-00, 8-??, 9-??, 0154, 1129, 2171, 3000, 4255, P117, P2FF, P3FF, P4FF.

Then back to 9a9E which I assume means test over!

Only 2 weeks ago my car was misfiring so I had new plugs fitted etc, and it passed the MOT last week no problem.

Can anyone help?

The 6th one you put ("none") means no DTCs are logged.."none" should alternate with "dTc" when you're on it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure