Separating, how to cope of the pain of not seeing my daughter as much.

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
edited 28 November 2015 at 11:13AM in Marriage, relationships & families
Ok so my wife wants to separate, the thing that is killing me the most is how will I cope without having my little girl in my life as much?
My 4 year old daughter is my absolute world, I wanted to be there when she wakes, to get her ready for school, to help her with her homework, to play whenever we want, to tuck her in at night etc etc.
Now I'm going to be limited to these events maybe once a week or if I am lucky maybe 2 days.
How do fathers get over that, I am literally writing this with tears in my eyes...
If any dads out there have been through this please give me some inspiration because at the moment I cannot even beat thinking about it when the time comes to separate and tell her that her mummy and daddy will be living in separate houses...

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You don't. Although you enjoy every minute you have with them much more.

Actually some fathers (parents) see their children more after separation as they've probably been away from home avoiding being at home in a toxic relationship.

You need to negotiate a fair and reasonable visiting schedule. If you both work Mon-Fri jobs then every fortnight from end of school on Friday to beginning of school on Monday would be an excellent deal. You probably won't get that but it's something to aim for.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Is joint custody not an option? I really feel for you, it must be so hard.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Its a similar answer to the one I gave to your previous thread.....is living amicably under the same roof not an option, until DS goes to school FT at least?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • My little girl is already at school now full time. With regards to joint custody that won't be an option as I work away go weeks at a time and then return home due to my work.

Just hate the idea of it all tbh. It's killing me to think I am gong to have to make do with 1 day here maybe a couple of nights here etc etc.

I would never of brought a child into this world if I could of foreseen this...
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    My little girl is already at school now full time. With regards to joint custody that won't be an option as I work away go weeks at a time and then return home due to my work.

Just hate the idea of it all tbh. It's killing me to think I am gong to have to make do with 1 day here maybe a couple of nights here etc etc.

I would never of brought a child into this world if I could of foreseen this...

Perhaps you'll actually see more of her now? Can't you go for shared custody so that you can have her when you're not working away?
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,293 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Perhaps you'll actually see more of her now? Can't you go for shared custody so that you can have her when you're not working away?

Joint custody doesn't need to be 3/4 days each a week - it needs to be what suits the family and could be several weeks mostly with mum and several weeks mostly with dad.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    theoretica wrote: »
    Joint custody doesn't need to be 3/4 days each a week - it needs to be what suits the family and could be several weeks mostly with mum and several weeks mostly with dad.

That would certainly seem to be a good option in this situation.
  • I would love joint custody, so when I come home she could stay with me then go back to her mums when I go back to work.
    Only thing is I have read so many articles stating kids are unsettled constantly swapping between parents that my head spins with the possibility it could disrupte and confuse her.

Somehow as much as my wife says she will let me see my daughter as much as possible I think she would object to that.

If I did that then I would have to remain in the area I am in now where it's pretty much my wife's town where she grew up and I moved there from my home town and I'm not sure I want that.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I know this is completely off topic and no help at all for which i apologise but when i saw your username, the first thing that came to mind was the song splish splash i was taking a bath :rotfl:
  • Petra_70
    Petra_70 Posts: 619 Forumite
    Awwww Splish splash, what a shame for you. :(

I think this is very common, for people to not think about how men are going to be affected by not seeing the kiddies so much. :(

However, I know many couples who split up, and the men ended up seeing the kids just as much. One friend of my son's actually spends Monday morn -Thursday afternoon with mum, and Thursday afternoon to Monday morn with dad. It works really well, and both parents get to see him and spend time with him.

I am sure you be fine, and will adapt, and find a routine, and your daughter will cherish every moment with you.

You sound like a lovely man, and a great dad! What a lucky girl your daughter is!

I wish I could say something more constructive and helpful.

As some people have suggested... maybe joint custody? :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure