Halloween

Anyone else not answering the door tonight? I have given out sweets and been jolly every year but this year seems to be winding itself into something ridiculous. Last year I had groups with young children and their mothers, all with bags ready for sweets. Well not this year, door is locked, door curtain already drawn and I am retreating to the back of the house. I bet there are calls from insensitive people, they all know my circumstances,very small village here.

Must be a nightmare in many areas with eggs and flour and sticky grease. I hate it

Comments

• Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Luckily the driveways are long in my road, which tends to discourage them, like cold callers - they like a quick 'kill' and move on to the next.

But no, I shan't be answering the door; not unless they have any nice treats for me.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,392
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I don't mind them. In fact I hope some kids come, as I've opened the bag of Maltesers and eaten three little packets!

I always used to get pupils calling, for me to admire their outfits. Perturbed too long now.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,188
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We, mainly me, can't stand trick or treat. This year I succumbed and bought some sweets. They have all gone already !!
    Go get it!
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,827
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    If anyone knocks on the door then I would oc course answer it as I don't know who it is! However on the off-chance that it's someone lookinf for sweets they will be sadly disappointed.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    No-one came :cry:

I have my Wizard's hat on and got in loads of stuff because I ran out last year and here I am with nobody to give them to :(
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Kids have pretty much cleared us out of the sweets, usually there is enough left over for us to pig out on for the rest of the week. Up to now we have had 10 groups of 4-7 appear and its not over yet.

9pm is our deadline, the door gets locked and we can settle in to some scary movies. :D
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,522
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    torbrex wrote: »
    No-one came :cry:

I have my Wizard's hat on and got in loads of stuff because I ran out last year and here I am with nobody to give them to :(

Same here - I'm putting it down to the population demographics where I live. In previous years the Asian families haven't joined in, and now there's lots more Eastern European single people round this way.

Looks like I'll just have to scoff the lot myself. Shame, that.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • lisa110rry
    lisa110rry Posts: 1,794
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    We've gone through quite a lot of sweets with lovely kids and their parents (and dog treats for the dogs). Amazingly, my door has just begun to squeak satisfyingly, right on queue!

Next year I may get a wizard's hat!
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
  • JCB20
    JCB20 Posts: 24 Forumite
    My wife was a teacher at the local primary until she retired and used to enjoy having the children calling. This year we only had one caller. A delightful little 3 year old with her mum, then nothing!

I think she was really disappointed and we now have loads of sweets left which no doubt be gobbled up by the grandchildren.

Most of our neighbours are retired or approaching it so no young children in the street.
  • beedeedee
    beedeedee Posts: 991
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Round here it seems to be that if you put a lit pumpkin outside - you are OK with Trick or Treaters (accompanied by their parents) to knock. If no pumpkin - no visitors.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure