new boiler: open vent or system boiler

Comments

• Op, you say the house is too large for a combi boiler??. Just how big is it??

Only last year we fitted a Glow worm combi to my daughters newly extended house. It has been massively extended having 5 double beds 20ft x15ft lounge, large kichen, large dining, 2 bathrooms, 2 kids playrooms, office and open reception.

The combi, excuse the lack of detail as it escapes me at present, copes perfectly well, and would likely be much more efficient now condensing boilers have improved.;)

It's not generally to do with the size of the house with regard to the heating circuit, it's all to do with the hot water demand, most domestic combi's only go upto 40kw & this will give approx 16ltrs/min @ 35 degree rise, if you have multiple hot water outlets running at the same time, ie showers, taps, bath etc a combi won't cope as all the outlets will suffer from a red flow & in some cases stop altogether, this is why every house should be surveyed in it's own right, yes combi's are great in the right circumstances but they are not suitable for all applications.
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • Agreed with what Keith has said, combi boilers are great for the right situation but won't perform under high hot water demand.

Also in regards to fitting two boilers, I've only had to do this once in a domestic property and even then it was only because a consultant had convinced the owner it was the right thing to do...ormus, you weren't the consultant were you?!
    Lightbulb Moment 17/09/2006
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    But the size of the house does dictate the hot water requirement, ie, a 1 bed flat will have a shower, a 2bed semi a bathroom, a 3 bed a shower and bath, 4 bed 2 baths etc etc.

The unit we fitted was around 130,000bth, into the heating of course, that is roughly the 40KWs mentioned, and 100,000 into the DHW, it works fine,;)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Mr_Ted
    Mr_Ted Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    System boiler every time as far as i am concerned, but have the system pressure tested, which should be tested to twice the maximum working pressure!

Boiler operation is little affested other than the odd occasion that a system or pressure vessel top up being needed!

I would also go for a sealed DHW cylinder to give a much better constant water pressure throughout the property and this will also give virtually equal hot and cold water pressures ideal for showers!

There are many high efficiency/recovery DHW storage cylinders/tanks available, such as Megaflow and Gledhill!

As for 2 boiler installations, that is only usually necessary for commercial requirements???
    Signature removed
  • But the size of the house does dictate the hot water requirement, ie, a 1 bed flat will have a shower, a 2bed semi a bathroom, a 3 bed a shower and bath, 4 bed 2 baths etc etc.

The unit we fitted was around 130,000bth, into the heating of course, that is roughly the 40KWs mentioned, and 100,000 into the DHW, it works fine,;)

no it doesn't at all, i've worked in 5 bed houses with only one bathroom & one person living in it, each situation is different, sometimes a combi is the right way to go, sometimes an unvented cylinder is the right way & sometimes a vented cylinder with roof tanks is the best way, that's why it is best to ask someone to do a site survey & see which is the best option.

i'm not saying your situation doesn't work for you & you are happy with it, but just because it does work for you that's not to say it's gonna work for someone else, each house & family are different.

• cyclonebri1
    no it doesn't at all, i've worked in 5 bed houses with only one bathroom & one person living in it, each situation is different, sometimes a combi is the right way to go, sometimes an unvented cylinder is the right way & sometimes a vented cylinder with roof tanks is the best way, that's why it is best to ask someone to do a site survey & see which is the best option.

i'm not saying your situation doesn't work for you & you are happy with it, but just because it does work for you that's not to say it's gonna work for someone else, each house & family are different.

Keith, I didn't say it was a one size for all. I simply said it worked for us in reply to the op that said his house was toooo big??, you dig??

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

• Keith, I didn't say it was a one size for all. I simply said it worked for us in reply to the op that said his house was toooo big??, you dig??

i'm not going to get into a confrontation over this, i suggest you read your own posts, then sit down & have a conversation with yourself about what you really meant to say, groovy baby !!

• Mr_Ted
    Mr_Ted Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    :rotfl:Hell how am I gonna cope ;)

I got a 1 bedroom house and a lorry load of tennants movin in soon :D

Better get at least 4 more boiler installed :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Signature removed
  • Mr_Ted wrote: »
    :rotfl:Hell how am I gonna cope ;)

I got a 1 bedroom house and a lorry load of tennants movin in soon :D

Better get at least 4 more boiler installed :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Mr Ted, that is the quote of the year, i take my hat off to you sir

• cyclonebri1
    i'm not going to get into a confrontation over this, i suggest you read your own posts, then sit down & have a conversation with yourself about what you really meant to say, groovy baby !!

What the hell are you on about?? If you disagree say so,

but you seem to have some other issue, sad:(:(:(

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport