Argos won't refund money for UNOPENED digital camera

Hi folks,

I'd be grateful for advice....

I bought a new digital camera as a gift from Argos, but my friend already received one.

I took the unopened box and receipt back to the store to get a refund within their 30 day policy, but I was told digital cameras are not covered.

The camera and accessories are in the unopened packaging. I can understand if the camera had been opened.

I'd be grateful to know where I stand with regards getting a refund.

Thank you.

Here is the extract from the Argos website (video games can be returned if the packaging is unopened):
If I change my mind...

Within 30 days
  • Most things we sell are covered by our 30-day money-back guarantee, so just return them to us unused, in their original undamaged packaging, in a saleable condition, with your receipt and we’ll give you a refund.
  • If you don't have your receipt, as long as you have a proof of purchase we'll exchange the item or give you a refund with vouchers.
  • To protect your personal security, we are also unable to accept returns on some non-faulty imaging and recording products such as MP3 players and digital cameras.
  • Please note all video games consoles are excluded from the Argos 30 day money back guarantee. Please ensure you read the specification on the box before installation. We also cannot accept back video gaming software under our 30 day money back guarantee if the plastic wrapping has been unsealed – this does not affect your statutory rights
  • Our 30-day money-back guarantee does not affect your statutory rights.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here, we might as well DANCE !!!"
:j

Comments

• CyCo_2
    CyCo_2 Posts: 288 Forumite
    Where you stand with regards to getting a refund?

Stood holding the camera you purchased. You have no legal right to recieve a refund for the camera.
  • chocdonuty
    chocdonuty Posts: 929 Forumite
    Might depend on what you mean by "unopened"
    Is it factory sealed in shrink wrap or have you just not opened the box?
    If the former then try another argos store, you have no right to return the camera but another store may be a little more sympathetic.
    If the later then you probably don't have a chance in returning it.
    :hello: Hiya, I'm single mom, avid moneysaver and freecycler, sometimes :huh: but definatly :D
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    icon_dagger.gif Please note that this product is excluded from our 30 Day Money Back Guarantee. This does not affect your statutory rights.

Argos cameras says it all .

jje
  • dan_l
    dan_l Posts: 206 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    chocdonuty wrote: »
    Might depend on what you mean by "unopened"
    Is it factory sealed in shrink wrap or have you just not opened the box?
    If the former then try another argos store, you have no right to return the camera but another store may be a little more sympathetic.
    If the later then you probably don't have a chance in returning it.
    Agree with this. I got an MP3 player from them for christmas which are also excluded from refunds (I think its because it has recordable storage, same as a camera probably) but luckily it was the store manager on the refund desk and although he said he shouldn't really be doing this, he could see it was still clearly sealed and just used his discretion and refunded.

I think this is the best chance you have got, as already suggested try a few different stores.

Dan
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    bgscotty wrote: »
    Here is the extract from the Argos website (video games can be returned if the packaging is unopened):
    If I change my mind...

Within 30 days
    • To protect your personal security, we are also unable to accept returns on some non-faulty imaging and recording products such as MP3 players and digital cameras.

I can understand that if the camera packaging has been opened there is the risk that a customer may have left some data on it. Fair enough.

Quite how a customer would leave personal data on a camera that has clearly not been opened...?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Shelldean
    Shelldean Posts: 2,390 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Argos will repair rather than replace a faulty camera. DD camera broke about 3 mths old. Took it back for replacement and was refused. Argued the toss, saying it was obviously faulty from start therefore please could i have a refund/replacement. Was told NO way policy is to repair. Very begrudingly accepted this as cashier refused to budge. However cashier next to us, overheard us and commented that nothing was being sent off from that store as there was no one to deal with them?? So my cashier then went and checked and I ws then offered replacement, none in stock, so was given a gift card.
  • mo786uk
    mo786uk Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    squeaky wrote: »
    [/LIST]
    I can understand that if the camera packaging has been opened there is the risk that a customer may have left some data on it. Fair enough.

Quite how a customer would leave personal data on a camera that has clearly not been opened...?

They have given a blanket policy so they don;t have to differeiate between situations where

a) the product is still sealed.
    b) the product is not sealed but the customer hasnt used it.
    c) the customer has used it but has managed to package it all up to look unused.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Shelldean wrote: »
    Argos will repair rather than replace a faulty camera.
    But the OP hasn't got a faulty camera.
  • halibut2209
    halibut2209 Posts: 4,248 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As said you are not entitled to a refund, but speak to the manager. If he refuses, ask about the possibility of store credit. A fair compromise, although legally they are not obliged to offer anything.
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • Shelldean
    Shelldean Posts: 2,390 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    wealdroam wrote: »
    But the OP hasn't got a faulty camera.

But other posters was suggesting that the OP say it's faulty to obtain a refund. And I was pointing out Argos really don't like to refund on cameras at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure