PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Ex-Council Flats - Pros and Cons

Lord_Baltimore
Lord_Baltimore Posts: 1,348 Forumite
edited 29 May 2015 at 1:45PM in House buying, renting & selling
A quick search has produced the following list. Any further pros and cons would be appreciated please along with opinions as to whether you would buy an ex-Council flat to let. Cheers!

Pros
  • Tend to be more spacious than private property;
  • Lower management costs/ground rent;
  • Often centrally located with access to good facilities;
  • Easy to let;
  • If neighbours cause problems, Council will take action;
  • Councils are good freeholders and manage buildings efficiently;
  • Residents of good Council property tend to have pride in it;
  • Yields can be good for buy-to-let landlords.

Cons
  • Major maintenance projects can be an unexpected expense;
  • Possible higher cost of repairs – no control over who does them;
  • There may be unforeseen admin charges for paperwork;
  • There may be restrictions on selling;
  • Some councils hike charges to subsidise the remaining council-tenanted flats;
  • Ex-Council stigma can affect resale values;
  • Dodgy tenants;
  • Asbestos frequently used in construction – contribution to cost of removal possible;
  • Parking restrictions can deter buyers;
  • Concrete cancer;
  • Not as easy to get mortgages in some cases;
  • Property value does not increase much and is first to fall when markets weaken;
  • Communal areas – disputes over maintenance can occur where there is a mix of Council and private occupiers.

For those wanting more detail about the issues arising in Tower blocks, this link, provided by forum member StumpyPumpy, might be helpful.
Mornië utulië

Comments

• lovehackney
    lovehackney Posts: 162
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    That looks pretty comprehensive to me.

Personally, I would only buy an ex council flat to let if a number of the other houses / flats in the estate / building were also ex-council. Otherwise I would be concerned about the tenants of the other houses, and also the tenants I would be likely to attract.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Depends on where the council flat is. One in a large block in London has just sold for a million quid.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • PlutoinCapricorn
    PlutoinCapricorn Posts: 4,598
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You do have some say in the costs of major works: the residents in my block check everything and have questioned some proposed charges.
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

• GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Our flat is ex-council, the entire block was purchased six years ago and renovated, all they did in reality was decorate each flat in an identical manner and they changed the balcony fronts to glass rather than metal.

Our flat is ground floor with a very large private garden that goes all around it (L shape), we had a sound test before we purchased and the results were good, the only thing we have ever heard from a neighbour is drilling.

We have very large communal gardens, our flat has a private entrance but the way the block was built means communal corridors are very wide, lots of natural light and there are three lifts. It is a fairly small block, three high with three flats on each floor.

Our flat cost more than the average for flats of a similar size in this area, when they do come on the market they sell very quickly. We have solar panels on the roof which mean we don't pay a service charge.

All flats cone with one parking space in an underground car park, there are a number of extra spaces that can be purchased or rented, ground floor flats like mine also have a private driveway so we rarely use our parking space.

We now have a gym and an indoor swimming pool which is shared by a local brand new estate, they have to pay for its upkeep, those in the flats don't yet still get free access.
  • Lord_Baltimore
    edited 25 May 2015 at 3:52PM
    You do have some say in the costs of major works: the residents in my block check everything and have questioned some proposed charges.

But if the freeholder Council decides to go ahead, presumably you are stuck and have to pay your share? And is it widespread practice for the private residents to subsidise the flats still in Council ownership?
    GwylimT wrote: »
    Our flat is ex-council, the entire block was purchased six years ago and renovated, all they did in reality was decorate each flat in an identical manner and they changed the balcony fronts to glass rather than metal.......

Sounds great! :)
    Mornië utulië
  • PlutoinCapricorn
    PlutoinCapricorn Posts: 4,598
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If the best quote has been obtained and the work is essential and not caused by neglect, then yes, we must pay our share.

I am not sure about subsidising tenants: we pay a fixed percentage depending on flat size. Some ex-council flats have increased in value, especially if the owner got them under a right-to-buy arrangement.
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    There's no sinking fund so it's just down to luck if you end up being the one paying for major repairs.
  • Lyncroft
    Lyncroft Posts: 218
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm going to look at one in London tomorrow, out of interest as much as anything. One thing I've noticed in London recently is more and more blocks being knocked down which could cause all sorts of issues!
  • Freecall
    Freecall Posts: 1,304
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    And is it widespread practice for the private residents to subsidise the flats still in Council ownership?

How?

• Lord_Baltimore
    edited 25 May 2015 at 3:58PM
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    There's no sinking fund so it's just down to luck if you end up being the one paying for major repairs.

That's the bit that makes me a little nervous. A new roof for the whole block would be a serious financial dent. :o
    Freecall wrote: »
    How?

Paying higher management fees and/or funding major projects that Council tenants don't have to contribute to.
    Mornië utulië
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport