From Debit to Credit

Options

Comments

• tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Grocery roundup
    26/07- 23/08

It's been really odd month, felt as if I been constantly spending and looking over the statements I have been so not the most organised of months but a amazingly a cheap one as i've only spent £149.47 for the month so came in under budget

£37.36PW :beer:

In hindsight I've hardly fed the lad this month as he's been with his friends/girlfriend more than home and both Dods & I are not big eaters in hot weather so been plenty of something on toast evenings.

Pretty good that the shopping came in low as I have to adjust the fuel budget as I had a £15 rise in that this month Im guessing that will be the norm for the next few months as major roadworks are happening over Cornwall, my 15 min commute now takes over 45 mins most days and I spend more time stuck in traffic then moving, but there is never a good time to do these things and long term it will be better.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well done on the grocery round up!

I am kinda dreading doing mine, know for a fact we have overspent this month.

This is really the first month I have kept a track though so it's a learning curve right?!?!

That is so annoying about the fuel rise due to roadworks, 3 times longer to get to work :eek:

Hope that is finished sooner rather than later for you!

Dxxx
  • tori.k
    Options
    10 months of road works ahead Dolly, It's the Cornish way, we get there dreckly :D Do feel sorry for the people down on holiday as Cornwall council diversion signs are vague at best, not exactly the stress free holiday.

I've found the grocery budget usually ends up balancing out over the year next months will be higher for us as I will have the household stuff like washing powder to pick up. It probably wont be as bad a you think, I think as we become more mindful of what we are spending we tend to instinctively buy less, some weeks it feels like im never out of a supermarket ( OK technically im usually not as I work in one :rotfl:)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well it wasn't that bad, over budget for the month by 26.10.

10 months! Jeezo, that is ages.

I always try to buy household stuff when it is on offer but it's not always possible.

Dxxx
  • MyLastFiver
    Options
    tori.k wrote: »
    I think as we become more mindful of what we are spending we tend to instinctively buy less

Yes- you're so right. I think this simple truth would be the answer to the problems of a lot of people on this board.

For this reason I've gone "cash only" and don't use debit/credit cards for everyday spending.
    My Debt Free Diary I owe:
    July 16 £19700 Nov 16 £18002
    Aug 16 £19519 Dec 16 £17708
    Sep 16 £18780 Jan 17 £17082
    Oct 16 £17873
  • tori.k
    Options
    Mini disasters abound, I guess in fairness it's my time everything has run as clockwork so far this year.
    Husband is suffering with a sciatica problem so has been off work most of last week and doesn't look good for this week, lucky it is just a trapped nerve so no issue with his spine but nobody is getting much sleep at the moment, poor sod doesn't know what to do with himself.
    Kettle packed in, not good when your relying on caffeine, new one ordered but still hasn't been dispatched and the biggest one my hair straighteners bit the dust so spent a few days looking like the love child of Worzel Gummidge and Medusa :eek: the Celtic Fro does nothing for me :D

I've been a bit spendy on the credit card for new work trousers, but also ended up grabbing some new jeans and underwear these are replacements but with Dods wages being down next month I should of held off really. I hate clothes shopping so at least got it all done in one.
    Will impact on the overpayments next month but shouldn't affect the long term plan.
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    My first thought was "oh no hair straighteners!" But I would imagine your oh/partner is top of your list!
    I think we are in the same boat tori. I got mine over 10 years ago, I know because i had them before my 21st birthday. By rights they should pack up any day, completely on borrowed time.

The kettle happens to us all as well. They don't last forever, even the expensive ones with celebrity's names on.

Hope oh/partner feels better soon. I think august is the month for lost sleep with the heat and other things going on. Not sure if that helps, if I can't sleep i think of all my friends with young screaming babies. This makes me feel better about being awake in peace!

Hope kettle arrives soon. xx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • tori.k
    Options
    Was my first thought too PSL :rotfl: Hubby just being a big girls blouse :D

Budget taking a hammering this month, Dods will be back to work next week I have bit of overtime so should lesson the impact of the last two weeks at worse it covers the couple of massages that Dods has had.

Most of the overpayment will have to go on the cashback CC this month as im already £100 over what I allocate for that , and will be adding another £40 in fuel. Been chaos over the road works and it's almost doubling my milage for the next two week as the council are now shutting a road my end overnight for 15 days for resurfacing, as well as the shutting the North Cornwall trunk road in the town I work in, seems Cornwall is closed for renovation untill 2017 :rotfl:

Not all gloom and doom the min payment has gone on the HSBC brings that down to under 1K it's a whole lot nicer to look at balances owing in the hundreds rather than the thousands :)
  • tori.k
    Options
    Well mini disasters turned into major one of my own making, I quit my job in the worse way possible, completely out of character for me but after a couple of hellish weeks something was done that was the last straw for me, so I quit and just walked out. I have never burned bridges with an employer before no matter how much I hated a job, but when you have already submitted a job application to everywhere including mcdonald's out of desperation you know the time has come to leave asap.

Luckily our debt level has now decreased that we can cover all the payments without issue until I find more work, I have no concern about finding work as I never ever had issue in the past, and happy to pick up seasonal/temporary work in the short term.

There is also a tiny bit of savings to be had in fuel cost, and extra time I have to cook from scratch being home more.

I have a full month's wages due next week, most of this will pay off the cash-back credit card due to the couple of weeks Dods had off, The card will shelved until im back in employment and will budgeting cash only.

A day spent taking inventory of what we have in stock and a meal plan created, I don't think it will d me any harm to take a week to catch up with myself before I start hard job searching.
  • tori.k
    Options
    Well my time off didn't last long started looking for a Job on Monday and started work on the Wednesday.
    Another dead end job, slightly more money then I was on far better hours (finally got the morning shift) and two miles from home, so saving £40 a month in fuel cost's, im like a pig in poop :) finally get the work/home balance that i've been looking for.

Nothing moved on the debt front this month other than the minimums and the loan payment. So standing at £5096.80.
    I cleared the cashback credit card in full and put that aside until my wages kick in again in two weeks. I will also kick off the overpayments again at the same time. so we are still on target.

So now my mini midlife crisis is now over I can get my nose back to the grindstone and get this done :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure