PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5

Comments

• It's not as simple as that, my claim has been going on for 3 years, the ppi was definitely not compulsory as when I figured out I had it I cancelled it, and tried to claim. RBS sent me a letter saying they did not feel they had Missold it as I Signed for it and gave me so long to, appeal, but RBS made a string of clerical errors and were sending the letters to the completely wrong address, when I later chased up the claim I was told I had missed the deadline for appeal, so I took it further because I knew I had not received the communication, this was when the clerical errors were discovered by the third party, then RBS so ok I may not have knew what I was getting (as I did cancel it) and they had made mistakes with my address - using no less than 3 Wrong addresses in their communication. When told to pay they came again and said it was a broker and not theirs reaponsibilty. However I went to RBS for the mortgage, they arranged a meeting with the 'broker' it was even on RBS headed paper when I received the appontment, it was at their office And hand on heart I had no idea I was dealing with a broker, being a first time buyer and new to the mortgage gane how could I? Would this man been have commissioned by the bank and not me? If so surely then if they are the ones who sold me the mortgage and they were all signed for at the same time, aren't they the ones who sold me the PPI ?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Holembar wrote: »
    I I went to RBS for the mortgage, they arranged a meeting with the 'broker' it was even on RBS headed paper when I received the appontment, it was at their office And hand on heart I had no idea I was dealing with a broker,
    It doesn't matter whether you realised it was a broker.

Any complaint goes to the broker who sold you the insurance, not the bank which hosted the meeting.

The Bank's failure to send you correspondence at the correct address is completely irrelevant to this.

So it really is as simple as that.

Three years is a long time to be arguing this because you'll never win.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,356 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    However I went to RBS for the mortgage, they arranged a meeting with the 'broker' it was even on RBS headed paper when I received the appontment, it was at their office And hand on heart I had no idea I was dealing with a broker, being a first time buyer and new to the mortgage gane how could I?

Different bank but the same situation I dealt in as mentioned earlier. It used to be very common. Brokers/IFAs used to use the societies branches all the time. It faded out over time when the banks brought in their own products and salesforces. I think the last one I did that way was about 1997.
    Would this man been have commissioned by the bank and not me?

No
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • duffs54
    duffs54 Posts: 131 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Having had a couple of successfull PPI claims I am wondering about this little nutmeg.

My partner had a rather large tax bill, we were unable to pay it and asked our bank for help, in the days where you rang your branch and were able to speak to your fav person.

The amount of the loan was roughly 5ishk, the bank came up with a solution and called it a managed loan, payments £150 a month.

It wasn't till it was paid off and we got the final statement, only £100 was coming off the debt the other £50 was well insurance or something I can't really remember now.

Do you think we have a valid claim to this please, we are talking about the 90's I think

Cheers
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,494 Forumite
    Do you have any records? Have you asked the bank if they have or sent a SAR?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • [Deleted User]
    duffs54 wrote: »
    It wasn't till it was paid off and we got the final statement, only £100 was coming off the debt the other £50 was well insurance or something I can't really remember now.
    A managed loan is one that is generally imposed by the bank as a means to 'help' people sort out problems such as overdrawn accounts etc. It normally has a much higher interest rate than an ordinary bank loan and has other strings attached such as no overdraft facility or access to other forms of credit.

It sounds like what you think was "insurance" was more likely interest and charges, although there might have been a PPI element.

On what basis would you complain and expect to be refunded?
  • Hello

I'm in a bit of a bother about my PPI claim with welcome finance. I was miss-sold the PPI policy back in 2007. The FCSA took over the claims for PPI and they wrote to me back in 2014 telling me that all PPI claims for welcome finance will be dealt with by the FCSA. This is how I found out that I even had a claim. The paper work I had to fill in had an agreement in it stating that I can not use any third party claims companies, during or forever after making my claim for PPI other than the FCSA. It all seems a bit dodgy to me.

I had to go through the process of a DRO back in 2011. I never paid back the full amount to welcome finance but because I wasn't aware that I even had a claim for miss-sold PPI until 2014 and my moratorium period of my DRO was over. Basically all my debts were written off and because of the terms of a DRO, I found out that I would receive the refund. ( Lucky me )

I was made redundant back in 2007 about 3 months after taking the loan out. I remember phoning the insurance company and trying to make a claim and they told me that I wasn't able to make a claim because I had not been with the same employer for 6 months or more. I later realized that I just had to be in constant employment and moving to a new job is consistent employment. They didn't offer to send me a claim form. The women on the phone just dismissed what I was saying and I was under so much stress at the time after losing my job and being in crippling debt I didn't question anything. I had never tried to make an insurance claim before and didn't know how the process went.

It wasn't until I was looking through the policy booklet back in 2014 when trying to claim miss-sold PPI that I realized that I actually could of made a claim all those years ago. when I tried to claim back my PPI i mentioned this and the FCSA told me that they would not refund me because I could of claimed on the insurance to cover my loan payments but never did. (I hope I'm making sense) They also told me that there is no record of me ever trying to make a claim on my insurance. They said not even a phone call was made. I'm furious about this and really feel that I've been done over good and proper and don't know what to do next. I guess I should take my case to the ombudsman. I feel that if the PPI had been covering my loan repayments when I had a legitimate claim, I would never of had to use the DRO option.

DESPITE ALL OF THIS.......THE FACT REMAINS..... I WAS STILL MISS-SOLD PPI. I was told I was more likely to get the loan if I had the insurance.

Please can anybody tell me if the fact that I could of made a claim on my insurance ( despite them deceiving me ) should effect my claim for PPI refund Also what can I do about Welcome finance lying to me not dealing with my claim on the insurance all those years ago? I believe after trying to contact my old employers to make a claim on my PPI 7 years too late,They went into liquidation back 2009. ( I was advised to make claim in this way by the FCSA, Makes me wonder if the FCSA were even involved in this whole process, or if the FCSA are a bunch of crooks themselves. )
  • [Deleted User]
    jodytoady wrote: »
    Please can anybody tell me if the fact that I could of made a claim on my insurance ( despite them deceiving me ) should effect my claim for PPI refund Also what can I do about Welcome finance lying to me not dealing with my claim on the insurance all those years ago?

You seem to be wasting your time. What proof do you have of your allegations that you were deceived?
  • ade20
    ade20 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Hi can someone on here please help me, i have been trying to reclaim PPi for about 4 months now without any joy. i have a loan with Elderbridge ltd, formerly First Plus uk, I took the loan out in July 2008, apparently the Brokers where Freedom Finance who no longer exist. Barclays who pay the PPi claims out are saying they do not deal with anything by Freedom Finance ?? and to go back to Elderbridge who tell me to contact First Plus, who tell me to Contact Elderbridge ?? so i tried the FSCS, who need information from Elderbridge, but they say they do not hold the info they need. Its so frustrating who do i turn to, i have even filled out a form online with the Ombudsman, but speaking to them on the phone , they say even they might not be able to help.. i was mis sold , i was not even told it was in with the loan, its nearly £3000, PLEASE. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME GET THIS BACK , WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO
  • [Deleted User]
    If neither the FSCS nor FOS are able to help, it looks like your complaint is at an end.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback